Studio One is about to get the Shaft

cclarry

One downside to ProTools is that 1024 buffers limit, even though my interface can go to 2048. In S1 I've yet to have to freeze anything but not quite so in PT.

Edited by Bapu

1 hour ago, Bapu said:

One downside to ProTools is that 1024 buffers limit, even though my interface can go to 2048. In S1 I've yet to have to freeze anything but not quite so in PT.

Interesting. I’ve never wanted to go above 1024. Is that mixing or creating with lots of virtual instruments?

If I'm making an uncomplicated mix I still pull up CbB. I can throw anything at it fast and get the job done. I mostly use S1 for mastering if I use it at all. It mostly gathers dust. Intense mixes with lots of plugins and tracks I'm using Cubase 12.  I consider using Ableton if I'm making a movie mix that needs more of a feel than a song. Mixcraft mostly gathers dust as does Acid pro. Both of those are full of loops if I get an itch to compose that way. 

I never intended to go to Cubase. Like others here I used Cakewalk and bought Studio One when we all thought Cakewalk was a done. I keep S1 updated. I don't think it's as deep as Cubase. Cubase keep adding new features every year. When I tried cbase I thought it was very intuitive. There are many YouTube videos explaining it, so I seem to have gravitated in that direction because I know anything I need to do I probably won't need to go anywhere else.

Maybe one other reason I went that route is because I am contemplating a program like Final cut pro in the future.......and we know what that means. 

Just tired of the clunky feel I get from Vegas software.

i was jut going to use FREE prime and call it a day.  Who cares about a stinking manual as long as it works, and it's a daw so i can figure out the rest.  Who exactly are they trying to reach at that price point, when you already have several lower priced SKU's.

Silly rabbit, other DAW's are for kids, S1 is for the adults in the room with the deep pockets. lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Topcheese said:

Who exactly are they trying to reach at that price point, when you already have several lower priced SKU's.

It’s not just about price.  It’s for those who don’t know anything about recording, who would otherwise probably use GarageBand if available.  You’re not in the target demographic since you’re savvy enough to “figure out the rest”.

11 hours ago, ALC said:

It’s not just about price.  It’s for those who don’t know anything about recording, who would otherwise probably use GarageBand if available.  You’re not in the target demographic since you’re savvy enough to “figure out the rest”.

Kinda contradicting.  The CEO is making a straw man.   People forget younger generations use phones.  He is trying to create another Bandlab (not the DAW) I guess.  Sometimes people in charge try to hide ignorance by coming up with strange ideas.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, smallstonefan said:

Sometimes the people in charge have data that shows  Assumptions   the rest of us don’t see. 

Fixed again  😆

Seriously though some times data does show that major shifts in trends. As in like the shake-up of digital photography, just look now at Canon, Nikon mirroless cameras.

It is just that I have had some VP's visit from different trades and they had  NO idea about the businesses they were helping to run! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, InstrEd said:

Sometimes the people in charge have data that shows  Assumptions   the rest of us don’t see. 

Fixed again  😆

Seriously though some times data does show that major shifts in trends. As in like the shake-up of digital photography, just look now at Canon, Nikon mirroless cameras.

It is just that I have had some VP's visit from different trades and they had  NO idea about the businesses they were helping to run! 

Data doesn't make assumptions. Data shows facts of what occured IN THE PAST.  Good strategy uses data to guide in decisions regarding the future. 

In the case of the interview that inspired this thread,  the CEO was saying that the company's entry level product should be simpler. I completely agree. One of the company's execs has since made a clarification statement that the CEO wasn't referring to their top of the line product.

A lot of the folks here are old timers  who've used these products for decades and very tech savvy (before anyone takes that the wrong way and goes off, that group includes me). Consider that DAW makers want/need to see growth and that means selling to younger, often less affluent,  buyers that may not be as comfortable with complex software. The CEO is saying this product category, and their own entry level product, is too complex. If they make it easier to use, they can gain a lot more market share.

Now, I'm a former strategist that advised Fortune 500 c level execs and no, they almost always won't know these products or be as tech savvy as just about everyone who has made a post in this thread. But I think the CEO's statements in the interview were pretty basic,  strategy 101 statements and if his company can execute what he wants to do, and execute effective publicity and promotional strategies, it would very likely allow them to gain market share, which would be very good news for those who own the flagship product. As the whole reason for the entry level product is to put customers in the pipeline,  which leads up to costly/costlier paid products -- ideally to the flagship product. 

Nerd talk over. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 3

I suspect most of us here know a lot more than we realise about how to use a DAW, and we don't realise/remember what it's like being new to the field of music making. Simple products for beginners are good: they bring people in and provide a bigger user base (and money) for the whole product range.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, antler said:

I suspect most of us here know a lot more than we realise about how to use a DAW, and we don't realise/remember what it's like being new to the field of music making. Simple products for beginners are good: they bring people in and provide a bigger user base (and money) for the whole product range.

Exactly! Spot on, @antler. Well said. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1