Studio One is about to get the Shaft

cclarry

14 hours ago, mettelus said:

when opening a powerful program to do its most basic function, it shouldn't require a lot of effort to do this; but this is where many applications fall short.

users, know your limits!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

I'm just wondering the reasons those who choose Studio One find it superior to Cakewalk

i HATED the x1 release, with the half-baked unannounced new gui (when i first ran it after installing i could literally watch it drawing the new "modern" gui over the top of the old trad windows, for example "loop explorer" became "browser" etc) resulting in lots of unexpected learning requirements, and the crashing... it was a real wtf moment

it was the first time in 20+ years i'd bothered looking around at the competition and s1 hit the spot, and has stayed crash-proof (for me at least) and high-performing throughout all the updates since

/ymmv ;)

5 minutes ago, pwalpwal said:

s1 hit the spot, and has stayed crash-proof (for me at least) and high-performing throughout all the updates since

/ymmv ;)

Same experience here, S1Pro has been rock solid for me throughout my life with it since late 2015. 🤘

PreSonus have more music production hardware in their catalogue than most other DAW vendors.
Integration with Studio One is part of the selling point of some of their hardware, controllers especially.
So if they dumbed down S1 Pro, it would likely impact hardware sales too.

presonus bought the company/team that were developing s1 (then called kristal) the company being a bunch of ex-steinberg/cubase devs, and spent the next years developing the daw itself as well as hw intg, i'm doubtful that they will change/remove any of the hardware integration, altho maybe that's the only thing left intact?

and as others have said, use the tools that suit the job :)

If PreSonus can provide a free cross platform (Windows, macOS, iOS) that is at least as easy to use as GarageBand, it’d be a go to option for pointing people to for recording.

When I was needing to collaborate with a number of students to record tracks for songs, I tried all the free options out there and Studio One Prime came out the winner (for me).  GarageBand was not an option since it was macOS only and not directly supported to export individual tracks (can to do it one by one for audio but for it’s downright painful for MIDI).

Efforts to make it easier for a newbie to record and share tracks and collaborate would be appreciated.  I’m looking forward to seeing what Fender/PreSonus  comes up with.

Edited by ALC

I'm not sure I see the *need* for collaborators to be on the same DAW. Citizen Regen has two members recording in Studio One, one in CbB, one in Ableton, and one in Reaper (he used to use Digital Performer).

It's never hindered us. Why? All members transfer full length 24/48 wav/flac files. We don't need DAW specific project/song files to get the collab done.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Bapu said:

I'm not sure I see the *need* for collaborators to be on the same DAW. Citizen Regen has two members recording in Studio One, one in CbB, one in Ableton, and one in Reaper (he used to use Digital Performer).

It's never hindered us. Why? All members transfer full length 24/48 wav/flac files. We don't need DAW specific project/song files to get the collab done.

Sure, but it sounds like you have people who already know what they’re doing.  For those who haven’t recorded before, being able to share a project that has everything set up with guide tracks is invaluable (and there still was a learning curve).

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

13 minutes ago, Bapu said:

That there is a "Craig Anderton-esque" workaround, and practically the current industry standard! :)

But Imagine if everyone had free access to the same platform for exchanging entire projects? Especially beginners?

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 2

1 hour ago, abacab said:

That there is a "Craig Anderton-esque" workaround, and practically the current industry standard! :)

But Imagine if everyone had free access to the same platform for exchanging entire projects? Especially beginners?

If on Windows platform CbB is a great solution for that.  But I have to admit that CbB is at a disadvantage being only Windows DAW.  Fine for my needs but I do know a couple folks from Church that are on MACs . 

6 minutes ago, InstrEd said:

If on Windows platform CbB is a great solution for that.  But I have to admit that CbB is at a disadvantage being only Windows DAW.  Fine for my needs but I do know a couple folks from Church that are on MACs .

CbB is not really something that an absolute beginner can just jump into and hit the ground running. It's a complex piece of machinery. I'm still learning new things about it after 20+ years, LOL!

So for Mac's and PC's then, Studio One Prime! Free and cross-platform. Still not a one-pager though, as confirmed by the Fender CEO.

Eventually, whatever dumbed down version that Fender manages to produce may be worth a look... :)

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, InstrEd said:

Oh yes, I know, you mean the Scottish folk. MACCleod, MACArthur, MACEan, MACGregor, ... 😄

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, marled said:

Oh yes, I know, you mean the Scottish folk. MACCleod, MACArthur, MACEan, MACGregor, ... 😄

I still have Ireland and Scotland on my wish list to visit.  I was in England as a teenager with my dad, the countryside was beautiful!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, abacab said:

CbB is not really something that an absolute beginner can just jump into and hit the ground running

Yep you got me on that one. Me too, I have been using Cakewalk products for a long time and I forget how powerful it is and complicated too.  It is one serious DAW that can take you far but you are right not beginner friendly.  Now on Windows side I actually like Mixcraft DAW.

52 minutes ago, abacab said:

Eventually, whatever dumbed down version that Fender manages to produce may be worth a look... :)

I see this being the goal. A new audio interface that any newbie can hook up and start recording in a flash. Simple one knob plugins, results in a flash.

1 hour ago, Grem said:

I see this being the goal. A new audio interface that any newbie can hook up and start recording in a flash. Simple one knob plugins, results in a flash.

Digital 4-track in a box. Just connect to PC and press "Go" for instant gratification! :)

• Like 1