Studio One is about to get the Shaft

cclarry

32 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

I'm just wondering the reasons those who choose Studio One find it superior to Cakewalk. 

As is said many times here and all over the internet, "use what works best for you" and I'll add "there really is no 'superior' DAW"

Having used CbB, Reaper, Studio One, ProTools, Cubase, Harrison Mixbus 32C, Samplitude, Mixcraft , Digital Performer, Logic and Reaosn the question, to me, is not which is superior, but features work best for me.

As of today, I'm most comfortable in Studio One.

• Like 3
  • Great Idea 1

8 minutes ago, Bapu said:

Having used CbB, Reaper, Studio One, ProTools, Cubase, Harrison Mixbus 32C, Samplitude, Mixcraft , Digital Performer, Logic and Reaosn the question, to me, is not which is superior, but features work best for me.

Clearly you are missing Ableton Live in your life hahah

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bapu said:

As is said many times here and all over the internet, "use what works best for you" and I'll add "there really is no 'superior' DAW"

As of today, I'm most comfortable in Studio One.

Of course, personal preference is always going to be the overall reason for anyone's choice. I'm asking if folks can articulate the reasons -- or features,  as you put it -- that result in you or anyone else choosing  the DAW that you're most comfortable with. Is it the workflow, some key features, etc.? 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 1

Back in 2015, I demoed a bunch of DAWs and my short list was down to Cakewalk and Studio One.  I found a deal for S1 Producer and went with that and haven't looked back.  It wasn't really anything specific. I found I kept comparing any other DAW I demoed to S1. The workflow was intuitive and worked for me. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, abacab said:

But feature-wise, it's nothing like Studio One.

You are correct, which is exactly my point. I use Studio One, among others, but sounds like Fender wants a new pre-entry level offering, like Tracktion or GarageBand used to be.

I don't see any cause for concern here, he said, hopefully. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, mibby said:

Back in 2015, I demoed a bunch of DAWs and my short list was down to Cakewalk and Studio One.  I found a deal for S1 Producer and went with that and haven't looked back.  It wasn't really anything specific. I found I kept comparing any other DAW I demoed to S1. The workflow was intuitive and worked for me. 

Ditto, I jumped ship from SONAR Platinum to Studio One 3 Pro on September 11 2015, and haven't looked back.

The only thing Cakewalk has for me is the 'Deals' sub forum.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

Of course, personal preference is always going to be the overall reason for anyone's choice. I'm asking if folks can articulate the reasons -- or features,  as you put it -- that result in you or anyone else being the DAW that you're most comfortable with. Is it the workflow, some key features, etc.? 

I grabbed a cheap crossgrade to Studio One 3 Pro when Gibson announced the end of Cakewalk Sonar Platinum. And I've kept up with updates, so I'm current. :)

At my current DAW proficiency level, there is really nothing earth shattering in Studio One Pro that I cannot also do in Cakewalk.

But here are some of the more interesting features in Studio One that you will not find in Cakewalk, and I would like to grow into them:

https://www.presonus.com/products/Studio-One/features#group-Studio-One-Professional

• Notion integration - send projects back and forth between the Notion application and Studio One
  • Score Editor - based on Notion
  • Chord Tracks
  • Harmonic Editing - for MIDI & audio
  • Show Page - Performance View
  • Show Page - Live Arranging adds the arranger track to the show page
  • Live chord information - floating chord display shows both the current and next chord, as well as a progress bar to indicate the time to the next chord change
  • Multi Instruments - stack multiple instruments as layers or splits on a single instrument track
  • Sample One XT - integrated sampler
  • Impact XT - integrated drum sampler
  • Scratch Pads - works with the arranger track to provide an easy way to experiment with different arrangements or versions of a section without jeopardizing your existing work and hassling with saving copies
  • Project Page - transfer Studio One mixes to the project page for mastering
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

Is it the workflow, some key features, etc.? 

I like their implementation of Arranger track over CbB. There is no finalization process like CbB it's more WYSIWG.

I like the chord track when used properly. Works best on clean guitars (over distorted guitars), clean piano or organ and vocals (i,e. pre FX).

I prefer the "put a bus anywhere you want in the mixer and that a bus can also be a folder in the mixer. Don't need to see the vocals tracks, collapse them.

The built in Monitor 2Bus that can contain ARC or SONARWORKS or Slate's VSX is nifty too. And not interfere with your mixdown.

Again,  all this "works for me".

FYI, my MIDI usage is limited, I'm not a synth or orchestrator guy, so their MIDI implementation is enough for me.

Edited by Bapu
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

Sincerely,  when I read that it sounded like he was repeating the typical kind of line you hear from a CMO (chief marketing officer). When a CEO sits down with a journalist, PR sets it up. Yes, it would be completely unsurprising if the CEO isn't very tech savvy, 

Yep, that sounds about right! :)

The problem I have with this is that the Presonus team is only so big. If they aren't adding staff for this new version, that means the current people will be working on the new product. If they are working on the new thing, they aren't working on Studio One Pro.

So even if they aren't getting rid of S1 Pro.... It still suffers.

• Like 3
  • Great Idea 2

2 hours ago, Bapu said:

I like their implementation of Arranger track over CbB. There is no finalization process like CbB it's more WYSIWG.

I like the chord track when used properly. Works best on clean guitars (over distorted guitars), clean piano or organ and vocals (i,e. pre FX).

I prefer the "put a bus anywhere you want in the mixer and that a bus can also be a folder in the mixer. Don't need to see the vocals tracks, collapse them.

The built in Monitor 2Bus that can contain ARC or SONARWORKS or Slate's VSX is nifty too. And not interfere with your mixdown.

Again,  all this "works for me".

FYI, my MIDI usage is limited, I'm not a synth or orchestrator guy, so their MIDI implementation is enough for me.

Oh my! What about all your Toontrack midi packs? They are gathering dust 

32 minutes ago, Yan Filiatrault said:

Oh my! What about all your Toontrack midi packs? They are gathering dust 

Using those MIDI packs are destined as demo parts for a song where applicable. Ultimately replaced by real players. 😉 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, dubdisciple said:

to create entry point that is usable without reading an actual manual

For basic tasks I feel this should be the goal of any software. The manuals these days are not always the most user friendly and some are just plain massive in size, plus a new user might not even know the proper term for what they want to do (so cannot look it up anyway). YouTube videos that are short and to the point have closed this gap in some ways, but they are not often the most searchable, and people tend to meander when making them (playing back at double speed helps, but still... scripting productions has fallen by the wayside due to the ease of post-production).

Case in point (manual size)... I was looking at upgrading DaVinci Resolve for 4K+ video work, so downloaded the manual first... 3625 pages! Applications where you need to invest 100+ hours just for basic functions need to rethink GUI, include interactive help features (which can be toggled on/off), or even enlist a new user and watch them use it to see what they want to do with things they are looking at. Some actually do this, but it is not very common.

Melda is another example (non-intuitive features)... very powerful plugins, but once you go into Edit screens, not everything is intuitive or goes way too deep. MDrummer has a randomization setting buried in the settings (on by default) that is a nuisance... If someone is building a track by firing off MIDI blocks of bars (pretty common), they are probably not going to want those MIDI notes to randomize as they are working in a live playback scenario.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, mettelus said:

For basic tasks - - - yada yada

Not to mention that after using Melda Plugins for any length of time, the users eyesight would probably be to far gone to read at all, let alone a huge manual. 😇

Edited by heath row
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3