New clip for every seperate note into Piano roll

solarlux

How to disable this annoying behavior when i m inside clip and make one another note futher then it makes new clip for that note. It would be very nice to enable behavior where clip extended where i 'm in not to make new clip for another note. I know i can bounce to clips all together but its extra step.

midi.thumb.png.2535c8e17f4e945f60958f2853e834b2.png

• Like 2

When adding new notes, clip creation is automatic and based on the following:

• the DAW creates a new clip when the distance between the new note and existing clips is at least one measure
  • a new note less than one measure away from two clips is added to the closest clip
  • a new note equidistant from two clips and less than one measure away from both is added to the clip on the left
  • Thanks 1

This is something that is greatly annoying to me, as well. And I fail to see the utility behind it. If I have the clips already drawn up, every time I add new notes, or copy-paste content, it makes a mess of all the clips involved, and I have to waste time just trying to make sense of what it did, and rebounce the clips to what they were.

Can this behavior be removed?

Edited by Olaf
  • Like 1

IDK, my experience when working in the PRV using the smart tool following these steps

• lassoing a note with Click+drag
  • copying a note to the clipboard with CTRL+C
  • positioning Now time by clicking in the PRV
  • pasting with CTRL+V

produces a clip that is one note in length.

On 7/25/2022 at 8:11 AM, Olaf said:

This is something that is greatly annoying to me, as well. And I fail to see the utility behind it. If I have the clips already drawn up, every time I add new notes, or copy-paste content, it makes a mess of all the clips involved, and I have to waste time just trying to make sense of what it did, and rebounce the clips to what they were.

Can this behavior be removed?

I completely agree, I'm sure at some point in the distant past this neverused to be the case but it's one of the most annoying things in Cakewalk and I see no benefit to it

• Like 1

I absolutely hate the way Cakewalk can have multiple overlapping midi clips but can’t display them usefully in the track view. Copy a phrase from earlier in the song and past it elsewhere and you often get visual ‘holes’ in the track view even though there’s no such gap in the PRV.

Problem is exacerbated if “Paste as new clips” is enabled, and it seems to be a default that keeps coming back.

i’ve never wanted overlapping midi clips in the first place, and whenever I get one I have to bounce, resplit clips at the markers, and rename the clips because the name got lost in the bounce.

It’s clunky as hell.

25 minutes ago, John Bradley said:

Problem is exacerbated if “Paste as new clips” is enabled, and it seems to be a default that keeps coming back.

I thought that might be what 's causing my full-length-clip issue so I checked the Paste Special settings and found them as they have always been: Paste into Existing Clips. I never change this.

I said I always get a full length clip, but only since CbB. I just checked X1 (with same settings) and it does not do that, so something goofy's going on with CbB.

Update: After closing X1 and opening CbB, the full length clip issue has vanished. So did opening X1 fix it or resetting the Paste settings fix it? The world may never know!