Hi,

I am using Roland Quad-Capture since 2018 as it was recommended by a few fellow Cakewalk users.  It has consistently worked perfectly.  Audio dropped a few times after Microsoft updates for Windows 10 installed, and I had to uninstall the driver and reinstall it again.  As of the last Windows 10 update, the Roland plays audio, whether it's from an MP3, Wave, Cakewalk, YouTube, etc., and the audio drops and the Roland powers down.  Now it isn't working at all.  I reached out to Roland, and they said it's a driver issue.  When I power down and reboot, the Roland powers up and when I attempt to play audio, it powers down again.   I am curious if anyone is having or has had similar issues with the Quad Capture?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Edited by Veets

The phantom power stopped working first! Then it got to where it would not boot up! A repair person in Atlanta discovered that if you disconnected the ribbon connection inside that it would boot up and continue to operate without the phantom power hooked up. 

After about 2 to 3 months of sliding by it just stopped operating at all!! I was using 2 Studio-Captures synched together but I have to get this one fixed ASAP.

I was advised by the repair centers in Atlanta that they could not do the repairs and it would save me time and money to ship it back to Roland and have them do it!

So, here I am.

6 hours ago, Sidney Earl Goodroe said:

WOW!!! I am having a similar problem with a Studio-Capture unit! I am curious as to what they advised you to do.

Should I simply reinstall the driver to fix the problem and if so how do I get the machine to power up to recognize the driver?

Roland pretty much told me to uninstall the driver and then reinstall it again.  It worked and then started up again.  They referrd me to this link for the driver.  Roland - QUAD-CAPTURE | USB 2.0 Audio Interface

5 hours ago, rsinger said:

I have a Quad Capture that I use with a laptop, Windows 10, and it's up to date. No problems here.

I have an AMD laptop with Windows 8 I will try it on it to see if it works.  I switched to my Behringer I have as a backup and the Behringer works fine.  The only thing about the Behringer I don't like is that it doesn't have a main volume control like the Quad Capture has and the Behringer also has an external power supply. I like that the Quad capture powers up by the UBS cable.  

5 hours ago, Sidney Earl Goodroe said:

Could you possibly tell me the info as to whom you talked with and a contact number or email. I am going to have to ship this thing from Georgia to California to be repaired and I was hoping they could give me a ballpark figure as to how much it could cost! Shipping alone is bad enough on the pocket book!!!

Thbis is the emailo address I have for Roland.  

5 hours ago, Sidney Earl Goodroe said:

Could you possibly tell me the info as to whom you talked with and a contact number or email. I am going to have to ship this thing from Georgia to California to be repaired and I was hoping they could give me a ballpark figure as to how much it could cost! Shipping alone is bad enough on the pocket book!!!

Hi,  The link is https://www.roland.com/backstage/support    If you don't have an account, you will need to create one and then logon.  There is a form you need to fill out and then submit it.  They don't have an email address.  Hope this helps and hope they will get you some resolution.  

12 hours ago, Veets said:

I like that the Quad capture powers up by the UBS cable.  

And this is probably the root of the problems!

USB powered  interfaces have a long history of issues. If the unit also has a power supply option you should use it and see if the problem goes away. Computer USB ports are all over the map as far as supplying a dependable source of power. 5 volts is marginal and there's so many other factors involved like USB 2 and USB 3 etc.

My Motu will only run on a totally dedicated PCIe card USB 3.0 port. And even then it has way more weird issues than my Scarlett that uses a power supply.  I often have to totally re boot my computer when it stops working.  I will never buy another interface that doesn't have at least the option of using a power supply again.   

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, John Vere said:

And this is probably the root of the problems!

USB powered  interfaces have a long history of issues. If the unit also has a power supply option you should use it and see if the problem goes away. Computer USB ports are all over the map as far as supplying a dependable source of power. 5 volts is marginal and there's so many other factors involved like USB 2 and USB 3 etc.

My Motu will only run on a totally dedicated PCIe card USB 3.0 port. And even then it has way more weird issues than my Scarlett that uses a power supply.  I often have to totally re boot my computer when it stops working.  I will never buy another interface that doesn't have at least the option of using a power supply again.   

I am beginning to realize that as well.  I am using my Behringer now that has a dedicated power adapter, and it works flawlessly.  The Quad Capture had these issues every time Microsoft released Windows 10 updates.  I would have to uninstall then reinstall. However, after the lates Win 10 updates, it drops audio and won't power up.  I need to spend more time with the Behringer.  I can't figure out why the Main Out knob doesn't lower or raise the volume coming out of the speakers.  Other than that, I'll wait to see what Roalnd says as I submitted another ticket.

1 hour ago, Sidney Earl Goodroe said:

Thanks for the help! I was hoping for a direct contract person as the support page is good. 

They used to have a direct contact several years ago but they changed their support format.

What is the model number of the Behringer?  Some interfaces have more than one set of outputs like my Tascam. It has a monitor and then 1/2 and 3/4 outputs and I think only the monitor out is controlled by the level knob. 
You might be using the wrong outputs jacks if there’s more than one choice. 

19 hours ago, Veets said:

However, after the lates Win 10 updates, it drops audio and won't power up.

That sounds like more than a driver issue. The unit should be able to get power regardless of the driver status, it just won't talk to Windows properly without the driver. If you have the option to try some different USB ports on the machine, see if that impacts it, or if you have the option to try it on a different machine, see if the interface powers up there. There could be an issue with the ports being able to provide enough power or the Roland (or the cable) could have some kind of fault.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2022 at 8:59 PM, John Vere said:

What is the model number of the Behringer?  Some interfaces have more than one set of outputs like my Tascam. It has a monitor and then 1/2 and 3/4 outputs and I think only the monitor out is controlled by the level knob. 
You might be using the wrong outputs jacks if there’s more than one choice. 

The Behringer is U-PHORIA UMC404HD.  I have to play with it a little more I see several outputs in the back.  Thanks for mentioning this!  

Edited by Veets

I see a button on the front too that might toggle things The Monitor A/B button. And yes on the back you would assume the Main outs would be controlled by the front control that is marked as such.  Is there a software mixer for this? 

UMC404HD_P0BK1_Front_XL.png

UMC404HD_P0BK1_Rear_XL.png

Edited by John Vere