Track turns on instrument reverb

Using an East West Play instrument, when I play the track, the internal reverb cuts on.

image.png.1eabe8253a317e2e1a33a9d25b7ec670.png

I've triple checked the track for envelopes that would be doing this, but I do not see one. In this screenshot, you see that the only envelope is for portamento. 

image.thumb.png.1523826612709403894954dc3c599b34.png

There must be something obvious and basic I am missing (I hope). Any ideas? Perhaps this is a Play issue but thought I would start here.

Thanks. I inserted another instance of this instrument and flung down a few notes and played it. The reverb did not turn on as it does in the main track. I then copied the clips from the track in question to this new instance of the instrument and once again, the reverb cuts on as soon as the first note plays. I did as you suggested and inserted a reverb CC with the level set to 0, so even though it still cuts on, it has no effect. But this does appear to indicate that there is something on that track (and I am way to far into it to redo the track).

7 minutes ago, David Pollock said:

Good idea, but I don't see that any other channel is sending MIDI.

Might not be obvious, as some plugins allow MIDI out to be enabled in their settings. If that was the case, a plugin on another track could be sending MIDI to any other track with "Omni" input selected and input echo enabled. I see that you also have input echo enabled.

You could test this by setting the MIDI input for the selected track to something you absolutely know is not sending MIDI, such as "Virtual Controller".

Otherwise, you can be fairly certain that it's something stored in the recorded MIDI data for that track.

6 minutes ago, abacab said:

Might not be obvious, as some plugins allow MIDI out to be enabled in their settings. If that was the case, a plugin on another track could be sending MIDI to any other track with "Omni" input selected and input echo enabled. I see that you also have input echo enabled.

You could test this by setting the MIDI input for the selected track to something you absolutely know is not sending MIDI, such as "Virtual Controller".

Otherwise, you can be fairly certain that it's something stored in the recorded MIDI data for that track.

I did the test you suggested, and the reverb was still turned on. I don't see how there can be anything on the track if I don't see it in envelopes or the event list. I know that's the logical conclusion, but I cannot find anything.

4 hours ago, David Pollock said:

I then copied the clips from the track in question to this new instance of the instrument and once again, the reverb cuts on as soon as the first note plays.

Well since the problem moved with the clip, that's pretty convincing evidence that the problem is in there somewhere!

Good luck!

Maybe take a look at that MIDI clip using another MIDI event list editor.

Here's one: https://www.anvilstudio.com/

image.png.14481aaad3aff3cbab4add4df4b0c637.png

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, abacab said:

Well since the problem moved with the clip, that's pretty convincing evidence that the problem is in there somewhere!

Good luck!

Maybe take a look at that MIDI clip using another MIDI event list editor.

Here's one: https://www.anvilstudio.com/

image.png.14481aaad3aff3cbab4add4df4b0c637.png

I think since I have a workaround for now, I'm just going to let it go to remain another mystery of life. Thanks for your help.

5 hours ago, David Pollock said:

I think since I have a workaround for now, I'm just going to let it go to remain another mystery of life. Thanks for your help.

OK, great! And if you do ever decide to take a peek with an alternative MIDI event list editor, the Reaper DAW has a decent one.  Reaper is fully functional and free to download and use for 60 days. https://www.reaper.fm/

Reaper is a very small 15MB download, and it has a much more modern UI than that Anvil Studio linked above. Anvil is still currently being developed, but looks like something still lost in the 90's. :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John Vere said:

Curious, If you open that tracks advanced midi settings strip in the track inspector what happens with the reverb control found there? 

Screenshot (440).png

Interesting idea.

Would that track reverb knob have any way to enter data into the MIDI clip, such that when that clip was moved to another track the reverb data was moved also?