I just purchased the Sound Canvas VA soft synth...

why not just answer the OP question ffs?

11 hours ago, Luc Lachance said:

While I've figured out how to use it in Band-in-a-Box, I'm having a hard time figuring out how to use it in Sonar X3, an tips on how to load it?

hey you can find the docs explaining this here https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=SONAR X3&language=3&help=SoftSynths.04.html

good luck

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

3 hours ago, sjoens said:

Inserting VSTs is the same, tho.

Fundamentally, yes. But there have been some changes in that area. Since they're not big front-facing features, we sometimes forget about them. They're things that we think of as always having been there, because in most cases, they should have always been there.

A couple of differences I can think of offhand are the (important) fact that Cakewalk now scans the system's VST3 folder under all circumstances (it doesn't have to be explicitly listed in the VST scan paths), and the flyout menus for adding plug-ins are much improved. Also, when you replace a synth, the new synth's UI is displayed. VST management (like forced re-scans and sandboxing options) has migrated from Plug-In Manager to Properties (although Plug-In Manager still works).

Even something as mundane as adding or replacing a plug-in....it's improved in Cakewalk. Someday, I hope, we'll get the oft-requested "Replace Effect" command. 😄

BandLab has now been developing and publishing Cakewalk by BandLab longer than Gibson owned Cakewalk, Inc. As far as I can tell, BandLab has done more with Cakewalk than Gibson did with SONAR in terms of development.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

But there have been some changes in that area. Since they're not big front-facing features, we sometimes forget about them. They're things that we think of as always having been there, because in most cases, they should have always been there.

This feature was added in Cakewalk 2020.01:

Multi-timbral soft synth enhancements https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=NewFeatures.33.html

"Cakewalk 2020.01 has a new Instrument Track Per Output option in the Add Track menu and Insert Soft Synth Options dialog box for multi-timbral soft synths that support multiple outputs. It pairs a MIDI track with a separate audio output track (mono or stereo) for each synth output, assigning sequential MIDI channels. This allows you to have multiple Instrument tracks for a single instance of a synth."

This relatively new feature would probably be most helpful when using a multi-timbral soft synth such as the Sound Canvas VA referred to in the OP.

Of course you could use X3 for this, but Sonar takes more steps to manually route multiple MIDI tracks to one instance of a soft synth. :)

Edited by abacab

Forum tip# 205: 

When a first time poster asks a question let one person reply. Even if the answer doesn’t help much watch and wait. If the poster then actually returns and seems engaged then toss in your 2 cents worth.
There’s virtually 100’s of abandoned threads here some of them become 2 pages long. 

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cactus Music said:

When a first time poster asks a question let one person reply. Even if the answer doesn’t help much watch and wait. If the poster then actually returns and seems engaged then toss in your 2 cents worth.

True, but the original posted topic will remain searchable forever, so your 2 cents worth may eventually help someone else down the road who lands on the thread.

So effort is not necessarily wasted even if the OP never returns, especially if the common sense answer is just to link to existing documentation.

19 hours ago, bdickens said:

What would any of you think if I walked up to you and asked you a question and when you started to answer I just turned around and walked off without saying anything?

You probably just need to take a break, until you are less offended... 😉