I'd like to apologize to the songs forum community

Old Joad

It's been pointed out to me that comparing your songs with other bands might come off as a bit insincere and maybe not helpful to the over all point of this forum.

so i'll knock it off:P

and keep my comments on the over all mix and minor random babbling...

once again, all apologies.

46 minutes ago, Joad said:

It's been pointed out to me that comparing your songs with other bands might come off as a bit insincere and maybe not helpful to the over all point of this forum.

If you mean something like comparing my stuff to, say, Steely Dan, I'd say no worries.  Happens all the time on forums like this.  Just don't compare my stuff to the Six* Pistols. 😁

😀John B

* change the i to an e.

Edited by Johnbee58
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, michaelhanson said:

I will say that it doesn’t bother me.  I’ve been referenced as sounding like Petty at least 1,000 times.   

Same here, I don't see the problem. Somebody on here once compared one of my songs to 'something Billy Joel might write. Man was I offended by that (not).

Took me weeks to get over that one. 🤣😂

I shouldn't beat yourself up too much over this one.

Andy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Joad said:

Sometimes I can be slow on the uptake, but why do I get the feeling you are being sarcastic?

I'm not really offended by anyone comparing my work with someone else, but in my case the comparison usually goes like this, "you sound like (insert artist name here) ON ACID"

I did have one poster compare my music to  garbage, I imagine there is a band named garbage, but I don't think they meant that band.

If it makes you feel better, say three Hail Marys, and be done with it.

You are forgiven.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

this post reminds me of something the Talking Heads would post, if they had a love child baby with Porcupine Tree.

Joad, I think most people can handle being compared. I do that occasionally  when I comment on other's songs . . . isn't that part of the fun of listening / interpreting / commenting?

Maybe the people who have that particular sensitivity could post their songs with a disclaimer, warding off any unwanted comparisons. But that might be weird.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, emeraldsoul said:

isn't that part of the fun of listening / interpreting / commenting?

That's what I'm thinking.

4 hours ago, emeraldsoul said:

a disclaimer, warding off any unwanted comparisons. But that might be weird. 

Yeah, it would. : )

Would have to agree with you on both accounts.