IK has announced AI Machine Modelling

bluzdog

2 hours ago, Jim Roseberry said:

"Holy Grail" amps are different for different users/uses.

Brad Paisley, John Patrucci , Joe Bonnamassa, Slash, Steve Vai would likely each have a different idea of perfection.

Well said Jim.

Sound is so subjective. What one group insists is the "best sounding" is nothing really useful for another group.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

Respectfully, there were only 5 rockets made and you don't own one.  And the one I have access to was stated by the builder as the best sounding amp he ever built, he kept the lesser one to test every other amp he built against it and called it Reality Check.

It was the crowning achievement of those in the know consider the best amp builder that has lived.  The one and only Kenny Fischer.

You have nice stuff but you don't have The holy grail.  I just happen to be friends with the owner who does.  

Along with the Ampeg 4x12 with his personally selected best pre rolla 30s in it.

Well, ain't you special.

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Grem said:

Well said Jim.

Sound is so subjective. What one group insists is the "best sounding" is nothing really useful for another group.

All I can say about sound in the teaser video is, it sounds good on its own,  but in a mix, that would need to have everything below 1k removed from it

15 minutes ago, telecode 101 said:

All I can say about sound in the teaser video is, it sounds good on its own

Yes, I thought the same thing. But never thought about what I would do if I were mixing it.

That was one of the things that I was afraid I would do if I learned how to mix. I would analyze everything I hear!!

I just do that with my own mixes! (Never gonna let you go, gonna hold you in the box forever, gonna try and makeup for all the shortcomings of the recording!!) 

• Haha 1

And someone doesn't know what we have or don't have, we haven't released everything yet... And of course we don't have YOUR holy grail which is why I hope I said some holy grail gear because there are multiple and we have some.  We already bought and modeled a holy grail mastering EQ, we have the rare 1953 Bassman from the video and that's not even what I was talking about, and some one-of-a-kind gear that nobody else has (one of our T-RackS models is one, but that's not the only one-of-a-kind item we have).

I'm glad you're happy with what you have and consider the holy grail for your needs and who you know etc but I was just saying that you don't know what we have and got a bit abrasive about it which I thought was a bit much.  Sorry, but I'm known to speak openly here and I'm sure you're a great person and obviously knowledgeable but you came at me a bit hard there, no?

Anyway, I can't wait to release more of the great gear from our private amp vault.

Edit - lo and behold I did say "some holy grail gear"... I'm sorry that seemed offensive, I wasn't trying to one-up what you your friend has.

Edited by Peter - IK Multimedia
  • Like 7

I have my moments, but I'm still here.  That sounded more harsh than I intended if it seemed like it was my swan song, I just wanted to clarify that there's more than one way to find the "holy grail" of tone.  I love both real hardware and the great "virtual" tech we have now, so I really don't take sides in that context and I didn't mean to sound like I was joining in what was referred to as a pissing contest but I guess I got myself in there.  Hope y'all avoided any splash damage 😆

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

I didn't mean to sound like I was joining in what was referred to as a pissing contest

How is it you can post pissing and I have to post pith because I can't post piss?

edit: it bleeped out piss when I posted it the first time

Edited by bluzdog
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

*not one of the "holy grails" of supreme rarity that I was discussing but very cool nonetheless*

I keep looking at it and I still don't understand what it does and why would I want one. I guess I need to see a demo to understand.

But what would be cool is being able to feed this AI thing a track and for it to detect what was the guitar tone and throw back at you a few options of what the amp and effects and chain you would use to get that tone.

10 minutes ago, telecode 101 said:

I keep looking at it and I still don't understand what it does and why would I want one. I guess I need to see a demo to understand.

But what would be cool is being able to feed this AI thing a track and for it to detect what was the guitar tone and throw back at you a few options of what the amp and effects and chain you would use to get that tone.

I remember a good few years back, that I used the simalarish ACT Module (extra purchase) in Revalver 4 to clone Tony Iommi's guitar tone in one of Black Sabbath's songs. Just feeding it a lone guitar passage looped, the result was excellent. That was way back then, can't wait to see what can be done now, for curiosity sake if nothing else.

Edited by heath row

On 8/2/2022 at 6:05 PM, bdickens said:

Yeah.  I'm thinking "if this 'holy grail' amp builder is such a superstar, how come nobody has heard of him and why has he only sold four amps?

He was well known and is credited as one of the starts of the boutique amp community.

He didn't only make 4 amps.  He only made a few of that particular model before he passed away way earlier than he should have.

It is documented he made aroud 100 amps in total (across 3 models....the Rocket he only made 5 of) they were all hand build by him selecting each and every part including transformers (most of which he rejected) and that creates a very limited work stream.

His amps were so valuable and saught after even during his lifetime (they sky rocketed after) that he even offered a triple your money back guarantee and not a single person took him up on it.  And his amps due to the nature of the custom builds were not exaclty on the cheap end of the specturm, but they were fairly priced for the skill and labor.

Billy Gibbons, Eric Johnson, Mark Knophler (still uses), Eddie Van Halen all placed orders while he was alive among a number of others.  

Brad Paisley, Warren Haynees, Keith Urban, Trey Anastasio and Joe Bonnamassa were also other notable owners that paid a premium for them.  

Not a bad list of buyers/owners for a company that made about 100 amps before the boutique amp craze was even a thing and a number of players bought a few of them.   Most of the amps are owned by people you have never heard of but won't sell them becuase they like them too much even though they are worth tens of thousands of dollars even for the least desirable examples.  

Jim Marshall would call him asking for advice amoung many others. 

And other amp builders (including Howard Dumble) would actually request to be in booths at Trade shows away from Ken Fischer for fear it would hurt their own amp sales if heard in proximity.  

He was a highly regarded contributer at Vintage Guitar Magazine characterized by actual in depth technical knowledge not just the fluf that magazines have turned into.  He also helped put the Klon on the map by simply giving it a somewhat favorable review and Klon even had this article on the website as a badge of honor (even though he critized the use of goop on the circut)

image.png.7f3815b94ba7bb38f5a7b72ae8ee7b32.png

image.png.cb1bd82f4024c2839f17929c1a39f8e7.png

image.png.0e1d2844c7d72945fbba1bddfd60e825.png

The Komet brand was launched to use some of his design concepts but with components that did not need as much tweaking and hand selection.  The Dr Z "Wreck" was also a colaboration around a similar idea.  His design concepts but adapted for mass production.  

Unlike most amps on the market, to really get into the ball park of an actual trainwreck takes both the makers skill and a set of ears to select the specific components, not just a "capacitor of this value in this position." 

He could even diagnose amp problems and what to fix by hearing them played over the telephone (think about how terrible phone quality was).  There are many stories of him telling a guitar player where to put the amp and to play and he would make recomendations to fix it and with what components.  

When you only make 100 amps, there is only going to be so many players that even get the opporutnity to hear one, let alone play it.  The Express which is his most well known model was also one he didn't even like by the end of it.  It just grew out of players wanting higher gain and a more "EVH" type of tone.

He shared his knowledge freely and created quite a legacy for a very short life span with his own company.   He was a legend and not becuase he created gooped circuits and a closed door policy (which is a claim to fame of other builders).   It is unfortnaute so few people get to experience them.  

Edited by Brian Walton
  • Like 2