IK has announced AI Machine Modelling

bluzdog

3 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

My ears would not know the difference.

you would be surprised what you don't hear. i recently joined the hearing aid old guys club. during my tests, it was revealed to me i don't hear most frequencies in the 6 to  8k  range. (all those years of headbanging in clubs in my youth).  i guess good if you are mixing rap and D&B, but not good for most other music. once you get hearing aids, you hear all the frequencies you are missing.. everything sounds really trebbly and like clicking glass .

• Like 1

And of course if you don't own premium gear worth modeling we'll sell you the one's we've created!

Wonder if they'll allow model sharing...  probably not as it would lessen the value of retail models offered.

Edited by TheSteven
  • Great Idea 1

3 minutes ago, TheSteven said:

Wonder if they'll allow model sharing...  probably not as it would lessen the value of retail models offered.

I think it will be a mistake if they don't. IK has been in to sharing lately with ToneNET. The competition i.e. Cortex and Kemper allow sharing albeit on their products. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, heath row said:

Nice 👍

Thanks!

13 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

Has your team tested this with interfaces that don't have an "amp" out?

Any differences with the capture results?

We used AXE I/O for all our captures so far, everything you've heard so far.  You would need the ability to re-amp, basically, which you can do with other tools (but really, even without my bias I LOVE AXE I/O so much I have more than one that I've picked up and I've been playing guitar for almost 40 years and studied recording so hopefully I have some cred ;) ).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

Thanks!

We used AXE I/O for all our captures so far, everything you've heard so far.  You would need the ability to re-amp, basically, which you can do with other tools (but really, even without my bias I LOVE AXE I/O so much I have more than one that I've picked up and I've been playing guitar for almost 40 years and studied recording so hopefully I have some cred ;) ).

Yes, I'm sure you used the AXE I/O for everything done in house for actual release.  But for the sake of understanding user experience was curious about using other interfaces.  It sounds like the process needs the specific impedance that a normal interface isn't going to provide.  (thus the re-amp box).

I've heard very good things about the interface, but it is also limited in the inputs it offers (though I appreciate the uniqueness of the inputs it does have).  

Some of us have access to better amps than IKM does (A Trainwreck Rocket for example), but that might not do much good without the proper interface/setup.  

2 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

Yes, I'm sure you used the AXE I/O for everything done in house for actual release.  But for the sake of understanding user experience was curious about using other interfaces.  It sounds like the process needs the specific impedance that a normal interface isn't going to provide.  (thus the re-amp box).

I've heard very good things about the interface, but it is also limited in the inputs it offers (though I appreciate the uniqueness of the inputs it does have).  

Some of us have access to better amps than IKM does (A Trainwreck Rocket for example), but that might not do much good without the proper interface/setup.  

Of course it will be better if you use something that is capable of reamping like AXE I/O which I mentioned (the reamping part).

And absolutely sure that last statement isn't necessarily/likely true.  We have access to some amazing amps including some real holy grail gear.  We've spent literally hundreds of thousands of dollars on gear and rarely get rid of anything.

1 hour ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

Of course it will be better if you use something that is capable of reamping like AXE I/O which I mentioned (the reamping part).

And absolutely sure that last statement isn't necessarily/likely true.  We have access to some amazing amps including some real holy grail gear.  We've spent literally hundreds of thousands of dollars on gear and rarely get rid of anything.

Respectfully, there were only 5 rockets made and you don't own one.  And the one I have access to was stated by the builder as the best sounding amp he ever built, he kept the lesser one to test every other amp he built against it and called it Reality Check.

It was the crowning achievement of those in the know consider the best amp builder that has lived.  The one and only Kenny Fischer.

You have nice stuff but you don't have The holy grail.  I just happen to be friends with the owner who does.  

Along with the Ampeg 4x12 with his personally selected best pre rolla 30s in it.

Edited by Brian Walton

6 hours ago, heath row said:

look-a-pissing.jpg

This particular "contest" has ramifications of getting guitar tone that is previously unavailable to the masses, assuming the tech captures not just the sound but the dynamics and responsiveness (this is the part I'm skeptical about when talking about gear on this level)....and assuming the product makes it into the hands of those with the gear to showcase it.  

Or provides a means to play out with that tone, where it has become unsafe to travel with due to the priceless and irreplaceable nature of a specific piece of equipment.  

Curious to see what comes profiled in the box and what comes after.  But without some outside help, some amps won't be in scope just like every other company since the Line6 bean came to market over 2 decades ago has tried to digitally recreate amp tones in various ways.

FWIW, I think it goes without saying that you need proper tools to make top-tier Profiles/Captures/etc.

No different than mic'ing a real amp.

Some audio interfaces (ie: Antelope) have built-in "re-amp" capabilities.

Most audio interfaces don't.

For those that don't, you'll need to grab something like this Radial box (~$250):

https://www.radialeng.com/product/x-amp

"Holy Grail" amps are different for different users/uses.

Brad Paisley, John Patrucci , Joe Bonnamassa, Slash, Steve Vai would likely each have a different idea of perfection.

Thus far, I prefer Quad Cortex Captures vs. Kemper Profiles.  To my ears, they're more accurate.

Quad Cortex can run up to 9 simultaneous Captures (stereo rigs, individual boost/drive pedal captures, etc).

GE Labs (Mooer) to my ears isn't as accurate as Kemper/QC.

It'll be interesting to see how accurate the IK's Machine Modeling sounds.

If it's on-par with the Kemper/QC, it'll be a hit.

• Like 4