In a Poet's Eyes

timboalogo

Hi folks,

I don't often share my work these days but thought someone might enjoy this song.

I've worked in my province's education system for years and have had the opportunity to work with our First Nations communities. One of the most difficult challenges Canada's First Nation folks face are dealing with the repercussions of Canada's residential school system where children were basically stolen from their parents and raised in church settings in an effort to assimilate them into our colonial and genocidal culture. You may have read in the news how the authorities continue to find mass graves on school grounds filled with the remains of children's bodies.

The faces of the survivors set me on the path to recording this song: In a Poet's Eyes

Timbo

blood stains in a poet's eyes devil in black n white disguise
his blessed hands thought to mold the clay what're they gonna wear to school today

stolen moon and stolen sky lost treasures never knew why
brother richard took the indian away sisters digging in the fields today

alice is giggling, deep in her rabbit hole when will she come out to play
alice is crying, saw it all in her looking glass when will she come out to pray

blessed virgin watching from on high
the grass is greener where the children lie
alice tumbles back down the rabbit hole
they've come for you now grab your things and go 

why can't it be a better today

spoil the child when you spare the rod do what you need to do in the name of god
we'd never hurt a single hair on their heads minesweepers still trynta count the dead

no more witches left to burn blame lies on the saintly return
springtime's here time for planting seeds but there's still brothers digging in the weeds 

alice is hiding, deep in the rabbit hole when will she come out to pray
alice is crying, mad hatter can't fix the watch will she never come out to play

the grass is greener where the children lie
blessed virgin hides the reason why
alice tumbles back down the rabbit hole
they've come for you now grab your things and go

"Powerful lyrics" -- indeed.  Mix and performance are all done well.  I attended grammar school (grades 3-8) in Canada (London, Ontario) and we never were taught about the schools you have mentioned.  I have however done some reading concerning these schools  ---  certainly a stain on the history of Canada.

Very good and poignant piece!

Yes I've heard of these schools, didn't they find a mass grave of kids somewhere in western Canada? "The grass is greener where the children lie" . . . I don't know if the Alice in Wonderland references need explaining, or if I'm just dumb - is there an intersection between these schools and Alice's experience?

Your song is ambitious in it's lyrics, which is great. Mixwise I'd find more room for some punchier drums, and a more present bass. It's a catchy melody and I liked how you sang it.

cheers,

-Tom

Timbo , Great lyrics and a fantastic job presenting them. Seems the battle never ends for any First Nation people. The Lakota Nation here in the US , made national news this morning . They're in an effort to shut down the hate and deceit being spread by outside missionary's on their reservations.     It never ends.   Enjoyed the song ..     mark

Thanks to everyone who has posted - I've indeed been working on a better mix. Whether it's better or not remains to be heard.

@STEVE POOLE, on our cruise of the British Isles we took the Fab 4 taxi tour whilst in Liverpool. Highly recommended, ask for Phil as your driver! We stopped at the house where John lived with his aunt (who didn't tell him that his mother lived a mile or so away). Phil the Guide was plainly a John fan as well, and explained his early life in a way I'd never quite understood before, about being shifted from place to place, that his mum was run over not far from this house and so on. We even saw Strawberry Field, where John used to sneak in to as a lad. His cheekiness and satire certainly helped fuel the fire of my teenage years.

Thanks for the props!

Tim

Edited by timboalogo
  • Like 1

Hi all,

Took me awhile to get this track back on track, so to speak. I think I've addressed your mix concerns - I had to change up the snare drum to get it heard properly. I realized that the bass was quiet because I really don't like my bass playing so I tried to hide it!

For PhonoBrainer, I made the Alice in Wonderland references for a couple of reasons. One was that I can really go off the rails lyrically and stomp on the same points over and over again. Instead, using the Wonderland vehicle, I tried to portray Alice as every child who just wants to play and be loved. Once the abuse started, the child hides in a rabbit hole and either comes out to pray or comes out to play. And she is the watch that the Mad Hatter is trying to fix, but she and all her First Nation brothers and sisters can never be fixed.

I appreciate everyone's thoughts on this song.

In a Poet's Eyes remixed

Timbo

Edited by timboalogo
Forgot