RX Connect

In Cakewalk, it is easy to connect directly to Melodyne to edit a clip, because there is a menu item (Regions) for it.

Is there a way to do this to connect to iZotope's RX so that I can use the full RX interface on a clip and then save it back to Cakewalk, similar to the way Melodyne interfaces?

Thank you for any tips.

No Rx is not a regional effect so is not on the list. Not sure what is involved but it is something to do with the ARA integration that Melodyne uses that allows it to work in any DAW that supports ARA. 
An option is to open the wave file directly in RX and save it when done. The project would need to be closed.
And then another idea would depend on if RX is considered a wave editor, if it is then one could add it to the Tools menu. @scook  wrote some software for making this easier.
Example I added Wave lab to my tools menu so I can highlight any audio clip and open it, edit and save the changes. I close the file in Wave lab and return focus to Cakewalk which asks me if I want to save the change made to the clip. So it’s different than an regional effect but the process is the same as you should render Melodyne too which is the same as saving. 

• Like 1

Yes i think i have used rx connect to send a clip to be edited in rx and then sent the edited clip back to cakewalk. I will check out the steps i used and post later on 

edit post with steps : ok so here are the steps

Right click on the clip – process effect – audio effects – RX 8 connect

RX 8 connect opens – choose repair- ok

RX 8 audio editor opens – do the editing – choose SEND BACK in upper right corner

Message says waiting and to open RX connect again, so go back to the original clip in cakewalk and again do  this - Right click on the clip – process effect – audio effects – RX 8 connect

RX connect opens in cakewalk and says press process to commit changes, but there is no process button, press ok to commit to the changes and cakewalk will now have the newly edited clip replacing the original clip

nothing intuitive about this process ! but i have used it successfully

Edited by treesha
add steps
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, John Vere said:

No Rx is not a regional effect so is not on the list. Not sure what is involved but it is something to do with the ARA integration that Melodyne uses that allows it to work in any DAW that supports ARA. 
An option is to open the wave file directly in RX and save it when done. The project would need to be closed.
And then another idea would depend on if RX is considered a wave editor, if it is then one could add it to the Tools menu. @scook  wrote some software for making this easier.
Example I added Wave lab to my tools menu so I can highlight any audio clip and open it, edit and save the changes. I close the file in Wave lab and return focus to Cakewalk which asks me if I want to save the change made to the clip. So it’s different than an regional effect but the process is the same as you should render Melodyne too which is the same as saving. 

That sounds interesting John - I will give it a try.

2 hours ago, treesha said:

Yes i think i have used rx connect to send a clip to be edited in rx and then sent the edited clip back to cakewalk. I will check out the steps i used and post later on 

edit post with steps : ok so here are the steps

Right click on the clip – process effect – audio effects – RX 8 connect

RX 8 connect opens – choose repair- ok

RX 8 audio editor opens – do the editing – choose SEND BACK in upper right corner

Message says waiting and to open RX connect again, so go back to the original clip in cakewalk and again do  this - Right click on the clip – process effect – audio effects – RX 8 connect

RX connect opens in cakewalk and says press process to commit changes, but there is no process button, press ok to commit to the changes and cakewalk will now have the newly edited clip replacing the original clip

nothing intuitive about this process ! but i have used it successfully

Hi Treesha - thank you!  Just tried it and it works!  Very much appreciate your help.

Steve

• Like 1

Yeah, RX Connect is unnecessary.

CbB can share a copy of a clip directly with any editor that accepts file names on the command line.

This is done by extended the Tools section of the CbB Utilities menu.

The information is stored in the registry.

I wrote a tool to edit this part of the registry. In fact, it was in response to a discussion about RX Connect on the old forum.

The Tools Editor is part of CbB Tools mentioned in this thread 

Here is my setup for RX9.

ztM7CBI.png

• Download the program.
  • Put it anywhere on your PC.
  • Run it
  • Select Tools Editor
  • Set Update Registry to Yes
  • Enter the Required Entries. Double-clicking in Exe Path opens a file browser.
  • Click Submit

To use

• Run CbB
  • Select a clip and run RX from the Utilities menu.
  • After saving and closing RX, CbB will prompt to load the new clip. 
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, steve@baselines.com said:

In Cakewalk, it is easy to connect directly to Melodyne to edit a clip, because there is a menu item (Regions) for it.

Is there a way to do this to connect to iZotope's RX so that I can use the full RX interface on a clip and then save it back to Cakewalk, similar to the way Melodyne interfaces?

Thank you for any tips.

Depending on what you're doing in RX, you may be able to use some of the many RX plugins, such as the desser, that install with RX.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Bill Phillips said:

Depending on what you're doing in RX, you may be able to use some of the many RX plugins, such as the desser, that install with RX.

Yes, they are handy.

Really would like to see iZotope catch up with Steinberg's ARA implementation of SpectraLayers.

I prefer RX but not having an ARA implementation of the editor makes it a little clunky to use with a DAW.

• Great Idea 1

6 hours ago, scook said:

Yes, they are handy.

Really would like to see iZotope catch up with Steinberg's ARA implementation of SpectraLayers.

I prefer RX but not having an ARA implementation of the editor makes it a little clunky to use with a DAW.

Yes. RX is clunky in the DAW. So I do RX work using RX standalone and render an edited clip and import that into the DAW.

21 hours ago, scook said:

CbB can share a copy of a clip directly with any editor that accepts file names on the command line.

I wrote a tool to edit this part of the registry. In fact, it was in response to a discussion about RX Connect on the old forum.

• Download the program.
  • Run it
  • Select Tools Editor
  • Click Submit

To use

Thanks for this tip - I will try that out.

Steve

• 3 months later...

For over a year, I have been using scook's method for RX8 (RX9 should work the same). It requires a one-time setup. After setting it up using scook's instructions, use the following procedure to edit a clip in RX8:

1. In the CbB Track View, select the clip to edit.

2. In the CbB Utilities menu, select "RX8." RX8 opens, with my clip ready to edit using any of the RX8 features, including the spectral editing display.

2. Perform the desired edits in RX8.

3. When finished editing, press ctrl+s to save the changes (I usually leave RX8 open).

4. About two seconds later, CbB asks if I want to reload the modified clip. Click OK.

Done

1 hour ago, Tim Elmore said:

3. When finished editing, press ctrl+s to save the changes (I usually leave RX8 open).

4. About two seconds later, CbB asks if I want to reload the modified clip. Click OK.

If RX is closed instead of being left open in step 3, CbB should ask immediately if the clip should be reloaded. I guess it depends on the PC which method is faster.

RX9 definitely works in CbB (cf. the config supplied above).   I don't have RX10 to test but there is every reason to suspect it does too.

14 hours ago, Tim Elmore said:
14 hours ago, Tim Elmore said:

For over a year, I have been using scook's method for RX8 (RX9 should work the same). It requires a one-time setup. After setting it up using scook's instructions, use the following procedure to edit a clip in RX8:

1. In the CbB Track View, select the clip to edit.

2. In the CbB Utilities menu, select "RX8." RX8 opens, with my clip ready to edit using any of the RX8 features, including the spectral editing display.

2. Perform the desired edits in RX8.

Done

On 7/16/2022 at 4:14 PM, scook said:

ztM7CBI.png

• Download the program.
  • Run it
  • Select Tools Editor
  • Click Submit

To use

• Run CbB
  • Select a clip and run RX from the Utilities menu.
  • After saving and closing RX, CbB will prompt to load the new clip. 

@scook  RX10 is not showing in the Tools Editor Edit pull down list as an option.

On 11/7/2022 at 9:06 PM, Mo Jonez said:

@scook  RX10 is not showing in the Tools Editor Edit pull down list as an option.

This is covered in the help.

The steps for adding a new item like RX10 is noted below the image I posted previously

On 7/16/2022 at 3:14 PM, scook said:
  • Download the program.
  • Run it
  • Select Tools Editor
  • Click Submit

The Edit drop down contains existing entries to edit. To add new entries, skip the Edit drop down and fill out and Submit at least the "Required Entries" section.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was trying scook's Tools Editor to use RX9. 
When I select a clip and run RX from Utilities menu I got this error.

My Audio interface is Roland Quad Capture and driver is  ver1.5.2 for Win10. 
Both CbB and RX9 is set for same this ASIO driver.
I guess this means some sort of driver conflict between CbB and RX9.

I know Quad Capture is quite old but wondering is there any tip on this?

Audio Device Error.PNG

[Solved] !
I changed RX9 driver selection from ASIO to MME (i.e non ASIO) then it works fine.

Edited by ot ouss

• 9 months later...

I have just tried RX 10 Connect with CbB. It works quite well. You can send a project clip to RX Standalone via RX 10 Connect, edit it, and send it back. However, at some point, the sending back doesn't work anymore. When you click on it, nothing happens. I couldn't figure out what the reason could be. Has anyone had the same experience or does anyone know exactly what needs to be done to counter this? Thank you in advance!