Windows 12 in 2024?

cclarry

Since almost the start of W10 I haven't seen any changes that were real show-stoppers for a DAW. Thus I don't expect neither W11 nor W12 are really worth for us musicians. 😄 

On my laptop (that is online) I would prefer some of the first W10 versions (instead of the almost current one that was forced by MS), because the performance has decreased considerably!

1 hour ago, RSMcGuitar said:

Just fix the start menu they broke.

It took a little while to get use to it but at this point I actually prefer the Win 11 version.

They fixed the search function so when you search for something it searches for apps first, web options 2nd. 
Something I always considered badly broken in W10.

You can still search through the program menus by clicking on the "All apps >" button at the top right.

In regards with the right click menu not fully expanding - you can get the Win10 functionality by:

1. Open an elevated CMD window.

2. Copy the following command below and paste it in and then press Enter.
    reg.exe add "HKCU\Software\Classes\CLSID\{86ca1aa0-34aa-4e8b-a509-50c905bae2a2}\InprocServer32" /f /ve

3. Log out of your account and log back in, you’ll find that the old right-click context menu is back, which displays the full list of options directly.
Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, TheSteven said:

It took a little while to get use to it but at this point I actually prefer the Win 11 version.

They fixed the search function so when you search for something it searches for apps first, web options 2nd. 
Something I always considered badly broken in W10.

You can still search through the program menus by clicking on the "All apps >" button at the top right.

In Windows 10, I had all my programs organized in groups on the main start screen page. Now there is no organization and it looks like an iPhone.  All my standalone synths were well organized, now I have to dig in the all apps menu for them.

Using search works, but in my mind takes away the benefit of a visual organization scheme.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RSMcGuitar said:

In Windows 10, I had all my programs organized in groups on the main start screen page. Now there is no organization and it looks like an iPhone.  All my standalone synths were well organized, now I have to dig in the all apps menu for them.

Using search works, but in my mind takes away the benefit of a visual organization scheme.

I agree!  I had a group for "Installers/Downloaders", and a group for DAW's, a Group for VI's, a Group for Utilities, etc...

Now it's just one big mess of 6 pages that I have to navigate through to find what I'm after.  VERY BAD!

• Like 5

Windows 10 users can use Classic Shell. I don't think it's being developed any more but it still works great. Set the Start Menu style to "Classic with two columns" to mimic the old Windows XP flyout menu style. Windows 11 users can use StartAllBack which offers similar functionality.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RSMcGuitar said:

I've always used desktop folders and/or Fences  to do that.

Supposedly you can export Win 10 start menu groups into Win 11
https://www.thewindowsclub.com/import-export-fix-start-menu-layout-windows-10
but I haven't tried it.

I do miss the Windows 10 toolbars.  There are free apps in the store that people say can replace this functionality but haven't yet checked them out.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jacques Boileau said:

... and to anyone that has an older PC that can't even upgrade to 11, let alone 12!

The general advice is usually to just buy a new PC with the desired OS pre-installed. Or build your own, DIY... :)

Alternatively, you can keep your old system running for as long as you are able to. But eventually you will be limited to applications that only run on the older platform. It is what it is!!! Progress!!!

• Like 1

On 7/16/2022 at 7:11 PM, abacab said:

But eventually you will be limited to applications that only run on the older platform. It is what it is!!! Progress!!!

My favourite drawing package, that I still use regularly, is/was Micrografx Designer (and the rest of the Suite, including a 3d modeller).  I purchased it sometime before 1991.  I still haven't found a replacement that does as much, is as easy use, and is affordable.

I used it in XP Mode under Windows 7 and then, when I just this year moved to Windows 10, thought I'd lost it forever.  I actually went about setting up a nested virtual machine to run XP Mode inside Windows 7 inside VMware but at one point discovered that my problem was only the fact that Designer was 32 bit.  Installing my Windows 7 as 32 bit in VMware solved everything and I can continue to use my beloved drawing software for more years to come.

So old software doesn't have to die, if you're lucky...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Paul P said:

My favourite drawing package, that I still use regularly, is/was Micrografx Designer (and the rest of the Suite, including a 3d modeller).  I purchased it sometime before 1991.  I still haven't found a replacement that does as much, is as easy use, and is affordable.

I used it in XP Mode under Windows 7 and then, when I just this year moved to Windows 10, thought I'd lost it forever.  I actually went about setting up a nested virtual machine to run XP Mode inside Windows 7 inside VMware but at one point discovered that my problem was only the fact that Designer was 32 bit.  Installing my Windows 7 as 32 bit in VMware solved everything and I can continue to use my beloved drawing software for more years to come.

So old software doesn't have to die, if you're lucky...

I did a similar workaround! No XP mode inside Windows 7 for me. I installed a full copy of Windows XP Home (32-bit) in a VM (I use Oracle VirtualBox).

I have an old copy of Adobe Photoshop 6 bought over 20 years ago (2000?), which worked fine on Windows 98 & Windows XP, but didn't make the trip to later Windows versions. Installed Photoshop 6 in the XP virtual machine, and it works fine there! VirtualBox allows for shared clipboard, folders, and a seamless GUI between host and VM guest, so it's almost like running Photoshop on the host desktop! Running Windows 10 64-bit here.

So yep, if you are geeky enough, some old software doesn't have to die! But I'm afraid that doesn't always apply to DAWs for music production, unless you are just doing basic tasks that don't require real-time audio. Just out of curiosity, I installed Sonar 6 and Sonar 8.5 (32-bit) in the XP VM, and they will play back audio projects. But using virtual instruments in them is not practical. The latency in a generic virtual machine audio device throws a curve ball into real-time audio. No ASIO.

Besides, all of my audio toys that I use today work fine on Windows 10 64-bit. :)

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1