Hidden 4th Browser plug-in view?

Hidden in plain sight, I guess, but I only discovered it today after using Cakewalk for 4+ years. A slip of the mouse and I had it.

We all know about how you can sort plug-ins in the Browser by Manufacturer, Category, and Type (which means you see them sorted into VST3, VST2, and DXi folders, and then by manufacturer within those folders). Ever wanted to see them sorted by where they are in the Windows file system? Read on.

All you have to do to see this is click on the "Plug-ins" tab at the top of the Browser, then whatever sort method it's set to, move your mouse to it and click. You'll see something like this:

image.png.bcf4dd23d0ed223bbaae26c3c53a9da7.png

It's not sorting by manufacturer, it's showing where my .VST3 files are in the VST3 directory.

As you can see, it winds up being a combination of folders that the manufacturers' installers created and then plug-ins that were installed at the root level of VST3 or whatever folder you use for VST2's.

The possible use for this that I can see is plug-in organization: you can have folders for manufacturers and then categories (which Meldaproduction already does) or even put it the other way around. I supposed there's not much you can do with it that you can't do using plug-in manager, but who knows. It might be good for helping track down where a plug-in's DLL actually is. It uses the friendly names from inside the file rather than the filenames.

Caveats: if you decide to try using this to organize plug-in lists, sometimes plug-ins don't like being moved from their original install location. Also, plug-ins that load via a unified shell, like Waves' or Presonus', will might not appear in this view.

Note: this sorting view also switches in the FX rack and instrument menus.

Edited by Starship Krupa
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I've got 2 or 3 that I still use - not often, but I can't find anything that replicates their sound.  And they won't get updated (or in one case, the 64 bit equivalent is buggy as all hell) 😞

• Sad 1

Lol, one of my most used compressors is still Golden Audio Compressor by a dead company, cause its vesatile and the sound is good. 😆

As long as it works i'm fine with this. This shows how good Cakewalk deals with the different formats.

20 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Hmm, maybe I missed something....

Waves' plug-ins are sorted just alphabetically in this view, they are not in a dedicated folder.

Look at your "Berzerk Distortion" Mono / Stereo plug-ins. 😉

Edited by Klaus

4 hours ago, Klaus said:

Waves' plug-ins are sorted just alphabetically in this view, they are not in a dedicated folder.

Look at your "Berzerk Distortion" Mono / Stereo plug-ins. 😉

LOL, of course, we all have multiple licenses for these due to giveaways!

Yep, there they are. I got rid of the Presonus shell thing, it was taking years off my life waiting for it to enumerate, and just not worth it for the sake of one good vintage analog delay emulation and a channel strip containing vintage hardware workalikes duplicated elsewhere.

• Great Idea 1

2 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Yep, there they are. I got rid of the Presonus shell thing, it was taking years off my life waiting for it to enumerate, and just not worth it for the sake of one good vintage analog delay emulation and a channel strip containing vintage hardware workalikes duplicated elsewhere.

Yep, that's not a bad idea.  That PreSonus shell scan is annoying as hell. And so is Waves, but a few of those are indispensable!

I'm not likely to ever use the PreSonus plugs outside of Studio One, nor even  likely to in Studio One. They are probably very good if you are just starting out with a DAW, but I have my own collection of go-to plugins now. I Installed the PreSonus Hub plugins out of curiosity, but have never really used them.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jim Fogle said:

I looked at pages 729 & 730 of the Cakewalk Reference manual and did not see any information about this fourth view.

I think it's the very definition of "undocumented feature." 😊 I have some other corrections/addenda, so I will mention it.

9 hours ago, Terry Kelley said:

Browser?

That list-y pane that should pop up on the right side of the Cakewalk UI when you hit "B" on your keyboard. You didn't recognize it from the screenshot? Among other things it does, it provides you with a list of installed/recognized plug-ins. Which may be organized in 3 official ways and one undocumented way.

• Thanks 1

On 7/15/2022 at 6:53 PM, Starship Krupa said:

Hidden in plain sight, I guess, but I only discovered it today after using Cakewalk for 4+ years. A slip of the mouse and I had it.

We all know about how you can sort plug-ins in the Browser by Manufacturer, Category, and Type (which means you see them sorted into VST3, VST2, and DXi folders, and then by manufacturer within those folders). Ever wanted to see them sorted by where they are in the Windows file system? Read on.

All you have to do to see this is click on the "Plug-ins" tab at the top of the Browser, then whatever sort method it's set to, move your mouse to it and click. You'll see something like this:

image.png.bcf4dd23d0ed223bbaae26c3c53a9da7.png

It's not sorting by manufacturer, it's showing where my .VST3 files are in the VST3 directory.

As you can see, it winds up being a combination of folders that the manufacturers' installers created and then plug-ins that were installed at the root level of VST3 or whatever folder you use for VST2's.

The possible use for this that I can see is plug-in organization: you can have folders for manufacturers and then categories (which Meldaproduction already does) or even put it the other way around. I supposed there's not much you can do with it that you can't do using plug-in manager, but who knows. It might be good for helping track down where a plug-in's DLL actually is. It uses the friendly names from inside the file rather than the filenames.

Caveats: if you decide to try using this to organize plug-in lists, sometimes plug-ins don't like being moved from their original install location. Also, plug-ins that load via a unified shell, like Waves' or Presonus', will might not appear in this view.

Note: this sorting view also switches in the FX rack and instrument menus.

Thanks for this. It's interesting but I'm having trouble understanding what I'm seeing. Here's a screenshot showing my Browser VST2 folder and the Folder holding the Pitchproof plugin which is in the pink box in the VST2 Folder in the Browser. In the Browser Pitchproof isn't in a VST2 subfolder but it is in Explorer. However the Acon Digital and AirWindows plugins are shown in subfolders as expected. What's this telling me? What am I missing? Thanks.

gFwJstw.png

Edited by Bill Phillips
Correction and better example