OS Wipe, Re-Install CW and Older SONAR Plugins?

DCMG

3 years on my current OS and feeling it's time to wipe clean and re-install. The only items a really use from SONAR days:

Concrete Limiter & CA-2A

Can I just install those and not have to do the whole "SONAR" install? I thought those 2 may have been standalone, if so I could skip the SONAR install. Thanks in advance! 

On 7/15/2022 at 12:19 AM, DCMG said:

Concrete Limiter & CA-2A

These two plug-ins were sold separately and have their own installers.

They do not depend on any SONAR installation at all.  Update: this is true for the CA-2A but apparently not for the CL (and possibly the other PC only add-ons.). See the posts below.

While it is possible to manually install and active the plug-ins, the easiest way is the Cakewalk Command Center. This will install and activate the plug-ins in one step. Then delete the CCC if desired.

Keep in mind if you ever need any of the bundled SONAR era plug-ins, it is best to follow these instructions now

update: it appears, PC only add-ons may require SONAR X1 Producer Expanded or newer with a ProChannel installed.

Edited by scook
  • Like 2

So CA2A installed fine via Control Center.

Concrete Limiter throws this error. Same if I just use an standalone installer. Still requiring SONAR? Will contact support and update....

Concrete Limiter Error.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2022 at 6:33 PM, DCMG said:

So CA2A installed fine via Control Center.

Concrete Limiter throws this error. Same if I just use an standalone installer. Still requiring SONAR? Will contact support and update....

Concrete Limiter Error.jpg

Any fix? We need Concrete Limiter...

Thanks..

Edited by RajahP
gramma

No. CW/Bandlab support sent me the same standalone installer I was using. Same error code.

A few days ago they decided to get back with me to suggest the novel idea that some earlier plugins needed SONAR to be installed to work.

Of course I knew that was the case with many but was under the impression that CL wasn't one of those. CA2A installed fine without SONAR present.

They suggested maybe I should install SONAR as tho that was an idea that had never occurred to me 😄. It was not a very solid exchange with the ole tech support.

I had already installed Bandlab, had it all customized and stability tested....wasn't inclined to then go back and do a SONAR install along side and risk the solid performance I had going with my fresh Bandlab install. I opted to pass on that idea and find another plugin to use on track level, non master bus limiting and abandon CL. Too bad. I liked it and it was present in hundreds of past projects 😏

I had X2, X3, Platinum and CbB installed prior to adding non-bundled Cakewalk plug-ins.

The error message is misleading as it indicates the problem is the installer not finding the correct version to use this patch. The CL installer is patching nothing. It is a full version of the plug-in.

It may be Cakewalk built a check in the CL installer to look for a modular version of the PC in SONAR. The reference to patch in the error message may be the referring to patch level of SONAR X series. None of the PC add-on modules run in the original X1 PC. Instead, the original X1 had to be patched to support the modular PC (IIRC it was part of X1 Producer Extended). My guess is this check is preventing CbB only installs from working with the CL installer. Probably the same for the other add-on PC only modules from Cakewalk.

If this is the case, a minimal install of SONAR X1 Producer Extended, X2 or newer with PC support will be necessary to get past the check. Installing any version of SONAR after CbB requires re-installing CbB after the SONAR install in order to get the CbB shared utilities back. 

Unlike CL, which is PC only, the CA2A shipped regular VST2 and VST3 formats of the plug-in. In fact, the CA2A VST2 pulls double duty as a PC module and regular VST2 so the installer does not need to check for a modular PC.

It's a shame BandLab has not released the CL and the rest of the non-bundled PC modules like they did with the PC2A, the PC only predecessor of the CA2A.

1 hour ago, DCMG said:

few days ago they decided to get back with me to suggest the novel idea that some earlier plugins needed SONAR to be installed to work.

1 hour ago, DCMG said:

They suggested maybe I should install SONAR as tho that was an idea that had never occurred to me 😄. It was not a very solid exchange with the ole tech support.

Just how do you expect them to know what you have and haven't thought of?  You think they're psychics?  Nevermind that logical, orderly troubleshooting requires going through a set of logical, orderly steps. In order.