I almost bought a Rodecaster Pro II tonight

RexRed

Then I thought to ask about this in this Cakewalk forum.

Many of the features I am very interested in:

The Rode and the RME Fireface interface could both be plugged into my workstation PC.

The Rode having two USB C interfaces one for each computer is really too much to believe it is true.

This would be useful for YouTube broadcasts.

It is supposed to have a really quiet preamp.

I will still use my GAP PRE 73 MKIII preamp instead, I will just send it in line level.

As for the Rode interfaces, I hope they are "true" ASIO drivers.

And, while the RME Fireface is getting fixed in Germany they might suffice.

I have a lot of questions mostly about routing.

Sending tracks from each computer back and forth (my workstation computer with Cakewalk and games, and my streaming computer.)

I will still probably use the RME Fireface and still will use the GAP PRE 73 MKIII preamp as well.

The preamps in the Rode are supposed to be really good but I just can't imagine they have placed a nice warm transformer inside that Rode box.

Any thoughts, critiques, suggestions? 

Edited by RexRed

I'm not sure if they do an XLR equivalent, but I'd definitely avoid getting a USB based Mic when running in Windows.

The reasons...

1.  You can only use one ASIO driver at once, so if you're using the Rode's ASIO interface, you can't use anything else within CbB ( this is a Steinberg/Windows restriction, not a Cakewalk one).
2.  Even if you could aggregate the devices to allow both of them, there's no way to sync up the word clocks, so you'd have to fix any timing issues manually.
3.  You're stuck with the pre-amp that's inside the mic. I'm not saying that the Rode pre-amp is bad, but you've got no other choice but to use it.
4.  You've no idea how long the USB drivers will work with the OS.  An XLR mic will last decades and will never just stop working because you've upgraded to a newer OS.

• Like 1

Thank you Msmcleod for the comment.

I will not be using a USB mic with the Rodecaster Pro II, I will be using the XLR inputs.

Rode Rodecaster Pro II Podcast Production Console

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Rodecaster2--rode-rodecaster-pro-ii-podcast-production-console

I only plan to use one of the 2 internal audio interfaces per PC.

I am going to buy this thing today, it will cost about $700 but I need to be on the in with this new technology and function.

Let's talk some of the pros and cons of this unit.

Edited by RexRed

There are several very functional software solutions for podcasts and videocasts.

While the Rode looks to have many of the audio bases covered I would need to be convinced it is any better than the software solutions. Much of this will depend on what you are actually trying to do. Some podcasts are interviewing guests from  remote locations while others have everyone in the studio. Some rely heavily on video clips and show production in the video realm.

If it's just you without much production involved this makes things far simpler. 

If you buy this from Sweetwater and it isn't working for you , at least you can send it back for a refund. If this is a hobby and not really producing any income, then it's your call as to if you want to invest in it or not. I am personally leary of these all-in-one sorts of solutions, however Rode has made a good name for themselves. 

• Like 1

Hey Tim, 

Thanks for your input!

The thing I need most is, well quality reproduction of my sound and then interconnectivity.

I have 4 YouTube channels and 3 of them are entirely live.

Being able to access all of my audio sources, effects and route them to a myriad sources, all from on interface seems like the most appealing of scenarios.

YouTube does also pay my bills... 😁

I just bought one...

I just found out the Rodecaster has 48khz, 24 bit...

Big drawback, of course I found this out after I bought it.

I like to record in 96khz.

Well, I have my RME Fireface coming back at some point.

I still like this for broadcasting.

I can run my Cakewalk RME interface out to the Rodecaster.

Rex, a suggestion/request. The forum has subforums specifically for discussion of hardware. I'm not the forum cops; rather I feel inhibited discussing hardware in a software subforum, which is my own trip. Also, things are a bit quieter in those subs, and they could use your discussions. It doesn't really matter. I just wanted to mention it.

That said, for someone at your level of hardware investment (a frickin' RME, wish I had one!), do as you did and examine the specs closely on any interface or mic that has "podcast" as its focus.

It's my impression that they're aimed at V.O. people who want a simpler solution that may be less complex (hence less versatile). I suspect that an entertainment mogul 😉 such as you can use more versatility.

Edited by Starship Krupa
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Starship Krupa said:

Rex, a suggestion/request. The forum has subforums specifically for discussion of hardware. I'm not the forum cops; rather I feel inhibited discussing hardware in a software subforum, which is my own trip. Also, things are a bit quieter in those subs, and they could use your discussions. It doesn't really matter. I just wanted to mention it.

That said, for someone at your level of hardware investment (a frickin' RME, wish I had one!), do as you did and examine the specs closely on any interface or mic that has "podcast" as its focus.

It's my impression that they're aimed at V.O. people who want a simpler solution that may be less complex (hence less versatile). I suspect that an entertainment mogul 😉 such as you can use more versatility.

Thanks for pointing this out, I was unaware that this was a software only forum but it seems so. How do I find this Cakewalk hardware forum?

I have noticed lot of people talking about Mackie gear here in this forum, I have owned Mackie mixers as well.

I grew up with reel-to-reels several mixers, now those are done in the box.

Okay, I found the "Gear" discussion thread, thank you for bringing that to my attention.

Edited by RexRed
  • Like 1