Cakewalk not sharing ASIO drivers with Windows.

RexRed

My chrome will not communicate with my Behringer UMC 1820 deck when Cakewalk is open.

Splice will not make sound while Cakewalk is open.

I close Cakewalk and suddenly they work again.

I feel like I should know what is causing this but I am stumped...

Thanks in advance peeps!

I suspect that, because your audio I/O is Behringer, the audio driver is ASIO4ALL, which is not really a 'genuine' ASIO driver and is just a 'wrapper' for the OS WDM driver, which has no "shared" mode. 

At the sacrifice of some latency, you could try WASAPI (shared) and see if it works.

Then consider an upgrade to a better interface with real ASIO drivers.

Same for me, Tascam , Focusrite and Motu all seem to share as long as the sample rate matches.  That’s why I now use 48 because most Videos are 48.  
I will often open Cakewalk to grab screen shots while using both Chrome and Movie Studio ( Vegas) without issues. I also might have Paint open. Lots going on never a problem. It’s most always been like that for me.
I’ve never had to use my on board audio like some people report is their solution to the sharing issue. So possibly that is an alternative for the OP. Use on board for Windows stuff. 

• Like 1

Only Behringer's absolute bottom-of-the-line interfaces use ASIO4ALL. The UMC 1820 is not one of them.

The ASIO model is not officially supported by Windows, and there's no guarantee that programs that do use the driver models supported by Windows (WASAPI, WDM, Direct X, etc.) will be able to use an audio device that's already tied up using ASIO. ASIO4ALL,  perhaps surprisingly,  would allow it, because it's a wrapper that lets WDM drivers report to programs that they are ASIO drivers. But an interface using ASIO4ALL will have no less latency than if it were using WASAPI, and some programs choke on ASIO4ALL.

My experience is close to the others': I've usually been able to do things like watch Netflix or YouTube while Cakewalk uses my Presonus or Focusrite interfaces via ASIO. I will say that the Presonus handles it better than the Focusrite Saffire, which can sometimes get put in a state where it loses sync with Windows and I have to power cycle it.

15 hours ago, John Vere said:

Same for me, Tascam , Focusrite and Motu all seem to share as long as the sample rate matches.  That’s why I now use 48 because most Videos are 48.

For a long time I use successfully a Behringer UMC404HD on my laptop with ASIO. And I don't have problems either if I use 48k in Cakewalk. It is as John says, most Videos use 48!

But if I open a Cakewalk project with 44100, then the videos in the browser have no sound as the OP mentioned.

By the way the Behringer UMC driver and the interfaces are really good. I have also a PreSonus Studio24c and its performance is terrible compared to the Behringer. With Presonus I have always to up the buffer size to have no issues!

I have UMC1820 and it can be used with multiple apps including Cakewalk. 

Make sure samplerate and bit depth is same for all apps. 

(I'm waiting for a new audio interface, since the behringer is starting to have odd squealing and noise on the preamps. It's been

performing well until recently.  The early drivers weren't as stable).

Good luck

ASIO, by design (for low latency), does not support multiple concurrent applications. People have created wrappers that can do it, and apparently some interface manufacturers have included them. Most don't. You could try something like Blue Cat's Connector, which purportedly makes ASIO multi-client. It's $49 but you can demo it to see if it solves your problem.

A much easier solution would be to simply switch to WASAPI shared mode. There could be a slight latency hit, but you probably won't even notice it.

[EDIT]

Just found out that Steinberg itself has made a multi-client wrapper. I know nothing else about it, but I think it's a free download. Here's a link (ftp server).

7 hours ago, bitflipper said:

ASIO, by design (for low latency), does not support multiple concurrent applications.

My Antelope Orion 32+ works with multiple apps at the same time. I have Cakewalk open and running along with DeXed  and Iris both running standalone. It is ASIO only (when using the Thunderbolt port) and does not support Windows sounds.

Edited by Base 57