Age of BS plugins.

kitekrazy

23 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

He mentions a phenomenon that I have yet to experience, which is the ones that are promoted via social media. I've yet to see one of those ads actually on social media; it seems like I only learn about them if Whytse decides to do a SNAKE OIL? video on one of them.

I assume we all know who Whytse/White Sea Studios is, if not, get thee to YouTube.

There was one a while back that he did that seemed like it might have been the first to show up, or one of the first, seemed like a knock-off of UJAM Finisher Micro. I actually think that Finisher Micro is a clever idea, if you have the nagging impression that a sound needs a little something but you can't put your finger on what, it lets you try a couple dozen common processing chains. It also has the right price: it's a free promo item.

Do you all see these things being advertised? I guess they're like the "Amazing Ronco" ads that ran in cheap TV advertising slots when I was a kid. Ron Popeil. I think he started with the Popeil Pocket Fisherman, a folding 18" long plastic combo rod and reel. The ad showed someone pulling a humongous trout out of a tiny stream with one.

The first "magic bullet that all the kids have to have" plug-in I was aware of was Dada Life's Sausage Fattener, which is a two-knob compressor/EQ combo. It cost $20 (or was it less?) and didn't take itself too seriously (now I see it's up to $39 and they have another single knob job called "Endless Smile." Seeing as Dada Life are prominent Meldaproduction endorsers, I suspect that their sound isn't all about these black box processors....

Yeah I have that guy on my feed. Can't say I watch him regularly.

He had one episode where he was upset because someone made fun of his colored fingernails. That one kind of turned me off that he cared enough to make it such a big deal.

If a person is going to decide to have a look that's different than most, then don't cry if someone on YouTube comments about it, maybe in a negative way. That actually should be an expectation IMHO.

Edited by Tim Smith
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Tim Smith said:

it didn't have to be a big deal. Everyone is entitled to their opinions.

We've probably all asked the question "why is this person so offended by something that doesn't bother me at all?" Or maybe just put someone down for being offended by something that doesn't offend us.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but we do have a collective etiquette that recommends that certain opinions are best kept to oneself when in a public place or forum. My opinion on our waitress' rear end, no matter (or maybe especially) how positive and heartfelt, is not something that the entire diner needs to hear about.

I suspect that the (unsolicited) "opinions" that were expressed in his direction regarding his nails included slurs referring to a specific group of people. It's not hard to imagine what form these comments might have taken. ("It makes you look like a ___, dude!")

Matter of fact, I have a hard time imagining the negative comments being "neutral" in that regard. 🙄

I think that people who do creative things and who have followings tend (at least prefer) to think the best of their audience. Having homophobic (or derogatory to any group of people you sympathize with or even belong to) comments slung by members of that audience must be (literally) disillusioning.

He spoke up about it. My attitude about things like that tends to be more "fsck the h8rz," but I don't know how I'd react. If you stay silent, you run the risk of giving the impression that you think talk like that in a public forum is okay, if you speak up, well, then you run the risk of people accusing you of being oversensitive. Which is the least bad option?

If he had worn gold chains and a hoodie and someone had said that it made him look n-word, would his response still be oversensitive?

1 hour ago, Tim Smith said:

He had one episode where he was upset because someone made fun of his colored fingernails. That one kind of turned me off that he cared enough to make it such a big deal.

If a person is going to decide to have a look that's different than most, then don't cry if someone on YouTube comments about it, maybe in a negative way. That actually should be an expectation IMHO.

Well, *I* am offended because he has long hair and wears glasses. Plus he looks too young to know what he's talking about. 

But - when he touts a product he backs it up with examples. I never get the impression that he's a shill. I give him high marks for credibility and objectivity. 

And how do we know what Dan Worrall's fingernails look like? Never seen them. What's he hiding?

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

We've probably all asked the question "why is this person so offended by something that doesn't bother me at all?" Or maybe just put someone down for being offended by something that doesn't offend us.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but we do have a collective etiquette that recommends that certain opinions are best kept to oneself when in a public place or forum. My opinion on our waitress' rear end, no matter (or maybe especially) how positive and heartfelt, is not something that the entire diner needs to hear about.

I suspect that the (unsolicited) "opinions" that were expressed in his direction regarding his nails included slurs referring to a specific group of people. It's not hard to imagine what form these comments might have taken. ("It makes you look like a ___, dude!")

Matter of fact, I have a hard time imagining the negative comments being "neutral" in that regard. 🙄

I think that people who do creative things and who have followings tend (at least prefer) to think the best of their audience. Having homophobic (or derogatory to any group of people you sympathize with or even belong to) comments slung by members of that audience must be (literally) disillusioning.

He spoke up about it. My attitude about things like that tends to be more "fsck the h8rz," but I don't know how I'd react. If you stay silent, you run the risk of giving the impression that you think talk like that in a public forum is okay, if you speak up, well, then you run the risk of people accusing you of being oversensitive. Which is the least bad option?

If he had worn gold chains and a hoodie and someone had said that it made him look n-word, would his response still be oversensitive?

I can see your point here, however to eliminate an opinion because we don't agree with it is to destroy free speech. Free speech is a big thing in the US, maybe not as much in other countries.

On YouTube ( or anywhere else) people can be very rude and crass. This was my point . If you're in the public eye, then it's an expectation that a certain number of people are going to make comments (free speech) and those comments might be totally wrong or against  what you believe. You can't stop the comments unless the social media channel is against it. YouTube has been known to shut down opinions they don't agree with. This all sounds very right and well to many people until it happens to be their opinion that is removed next time.

Labels fly around left and right and we are at a point where those who see themselves as in charge of society feel they need to shut some people down. No harm in voicing his opinion, however I personally think it shows a bad grasp of reality for what reality is. Society is busy building protective bubbles for people. Not really the job of social engineers IMHO. When these people realize they are in a protective, and dare I say, artificial bubble, they might not know how to respond. 

The truth is , not everyone agrees with what someone does. Maybe disagree is too strong in some cases. They just don't like something and they say so. Most will be cordial about that disagreement or say nothing at all and have good personal reasons for it. Others will not be so kind. One position comes from a place of love and respect for all human beings. The other comes from a place of hate. Both may disagree on the same issue and handle it in entirely different ways.

But to say, "Hey why you upset?" is to potentially open a whole can of worms. Do you really want to know the background for why? Be prepared for some intense stuff sometimes.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Tim Smith said:

to eliminate an opinion because we don't agree with it is to destroy free speech

The freedom of speech granted by the US Constitution only says that we'll be protected against the government making laws that restrict it. It doesn't guarantee us protection from people taking objection to what we say (which itself is free speech, of course), nor does it guarantee us a platform or audience.

Whytse was cool about it, I thought.

He painted his fingernails, someone in the comments section expressed that they thought it was "gay," (and presumably made them uncomfortable) and Whytse asked them (paraphrasing here) if they react verbally like that to seeing a guy with nail polish on, how they expected to be able to deal with the diverse types of people you're likely to meet in the music business. He didn't "eliminate" anyone's opinion, he didn't even object to it. He never said that he wanted them to stop expressing it. He didn't say that such talk wasn't welcome, he didn't say that he was going to stop making videos or that he was even offended.

I thought it was a good question: They will run into people who look (and act) out of the ordinary in the music business. Not just run into them, they might wind up working with or for them. Hair metal, goth rock, glam, country singers in full sequined regalia, black metal dudes in corpse paint and spikes....it's not good for business to be looking at clients like you think they're weirdos.

8 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

he freedom of speech granted by the US Constitution only says that we'll be protected against the government making laws that restrict it. It doesn't guarantee us protection from people taking objection to what we say (which itself is free speech, of course), nor does it guarantee us a platform or audience.

Yep.

Whytse was cool about it, I thought.

I'm not sure why he even bothered to bring it up. 

He painted his fingernails, someone in the comments section expressed that they thought it was "gay," (and presumably made them uncomfortable) and Whytse asked them (paraphrasing here) if they react verbally like that to seeing a guy with nail polish on, how they expected to be able to deal with the diverse types of people you're likely to meet in the music business. He didn't "eliminate" anyone's opinion, he didn't even object to it. He never said that he wanted them to stop expressing it. He didn't say that such talk wasn't welcome, he didn't say that he was going to stop making videos or that he was even offended.

If you see a man dressed in a donkey costume in the studio we should just whistle and pretend it's something we see every day.  If there wasn't some friction it would never have been brought up. I think friction is good sometimes because there is always a reason behind it. My comments were not about what he didn't do.

I thought it was a good question: They will run into people who look (and act) out of the ordinary in the music business. Not just run into them, they might wind up working with or for them. Hair metal, goth rock, glam, country singers in full sequined regalia, black metal dudes in corpse paint and spikes....it's not good for business to be looking at clients like you think they're weirdos.

It all depends. Not a given.Depends on the studio and the clientele'.  I personally would treat a man with colored fingernails like anyone else. The donkey costume might be pushing my limits.😗

Maybe you can't accept that he lost my respect. That's ok too. It wasn't the fingernails, it was the scene which you clearly didn't think was a scene. You are entitled to your opinion. I am entitled to mine. If he was attempting to get more views by making a controversy that would be probably embraced by his listener base, kudos. It was a good move assuming he really knows his listener base, one of which was me.

I'm not sure why he even bothered to bring it up.

I don't think he would if someone had merely commented something like "whoa, your nails are pretty weird." But the comment he mentioned specifically said "gay." Which kind of implies that the commenter thinks that appearing effeminate is a negative thing.

Maybe you can't accept that he lost my respect. That's ok too. It wasn't the fingernails, it was the scene which you clearly didn't think was a scene.

No, my man, I completely accept that you ditched him, and why. I'm paying attention to every word you write 'cause I respect your opinions. If I didn't think you were a reasonable guy worth engaging with, I wouldn't bother. I think it's important to engage with people I disagree with in a civil manner. It's good for my learning.

I get that we live in difficult times and there are a lot of people virtual signaling and creating tempests in teapots, and it can get fatiguing after a while, even to people who agree with the principles behind it. I'm just saying that in this case, I think he handled it pretty well.

I get tired of oversensitivity and virtue signaling as well as people claiming that someone's being "canceled" if someone else takes objection to something they said.

Yes, he made a "scene." He thought it was important to address a homophobic comment. Me, I would have just deleted the comment and moved on. He let the comment stand, and my interpretation of it was that his attitude was "think what you want, but if you want to have a career in audio, your attitude may not serve you well."

I thought the tone was more "really, dude?"

These matters can get strange in these times. I've had friends end up in the hospital from being assaulted due to their being gay. I was also called a homophobe a couple of years ago on Facebook because of a stupid joke that I made at least a decade earlier to an amp repair client who I thought "got" that I was making fun of high school homophobic attitudes, when he thought I was copping one. Yikes. My bad, I read the situation wrong. But it goes to show how sideways things can go.

Edited by Starship Krupa
  • Like 1

On 8/2/2022 at 2:35 PM, bitflipper said:

Well, *I* am offended because he has long hair and wears glasses. Plus he looks too young to know what he's talking about. 

But - when he touts a product he backs it up with examples. I never get the impression that he's a shill. I give him high marks for credibility and objectivity. 

And how do we know what Dan Worrall's fingernails look like? Never seen them. What's he hiding?

I can't stand the guy. I find most of his listings to be clickbait (can he stop with the SNAKEOIL headline already?) and I find his reviews superficial.

The last thing I care about is his nails. Hell, my toes are painted blue at the moment! 😁

Edited by smallstonefan
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, bdickens said:

I prefer to observe the overall pattern of someone's behavior and not get wound around the axle over what may just be a gaffe or an attack of cranial flatulence. Everyone says something stupid now and again.

Cranial flatulance......you mind if I borrow that some time?