Your Man

garybrun

I gotta let my wife hear this.  She's a country music fan.  I've heard this song several times on the local country station.  Josh Turner has a nice rich baritone voice that catches one's attention quickly.  You've done an extraordinary job capturing the same feel he has.

🙂John B

• Thanks 1

Excellent! I'd back the lead vocal down maybe just a half a db. But it's a quality vocal, great feeling throughout.

What a standout, that pedal steel - did you play that? Whichever, it's great! And the fiddle is decent as well.

Great chops all over this one.

cheers,

-Tom

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the comments guys.
I think I have found my genre  🙂

I did not play the steel guitar...  midi generated.

I recently bought a new Antelope Orion interface and a Drawmar monitor controller which is a huge improvement on my VS-700r
The vocal take was done in one go.. no correction, no double track,  no nothing except compression through SlateDigital Mix rack.
My mic  is a Michael Jolly modded Røde K2.
learned also on my sons comment that I use a lot of plate (very 90's)  this time there is only a small amount of reverb.

Thanks for the comments on taking the vocal down a couple of db's,  as myself when I printed it thought it should go down so its great conformation to know I'm improving.

Edited by garybrun

Gary you ever make it around Baton Rouge we can have a good throw down!! We could pass a good time for sure!

The backing track was excellent. It had me going right from the very start. IF you programed all of that, I want to take lessons from you!! You had to play some of it, it just sounds so natural and full of feel. Drums were flowing as was the bass lines.

I know this song, and you did a fine job on the vocals. But I would go to say that you have your own version of this. One take!! Good job on desiceding that was the keeper. Who's doing the bkup voc?

Well just so you know, I am here at work and I enjoyed this so much, I was dancing up here in the wheel house!!

@Grem thanks for the comments.
I am not that skilled to create such programming.
These are midi based backing tracks.

I am trying out new vocal styles for a new band I have just joined and I am making recordings so they can learn the songs.
I will be putting quite a lot up to my soundcloud account.
This is also a great way to enhance tracks and learn programming.

Decided to concentrate on vocals and how to get them to fit in a mix.
I believe that is one of the hardest things I find about mixing... getting that vocal sound.

The problem with doing your own voice is that you sort of know it..  so very easy to miss pitch problems and also make yourself a little to loud.
Been trying a new technique for me...  play the song at really low volume and then bring in the vocal so I can just hear it.

Vocal was perfect for me Gary. So your new method is heading in the right direction.

Are you using Band In A Box or anything like that to make the backing trk? Or is it paid for stuff. Because this song and the GB copy sound really good. 

Good luck with the new band. Ya'll should have a great time sounds like to me!

• Like 1

This song reminds me a whole lot of Joxh Turner.

Where I come from country music is the# 3 genre on virtually all radio stations I can get over the air, third only to crop reports and weather.

and you did a great job

Edited by Jesse Screed
forgot the most important part
  • Like 1

Country definitely seems easy for you.  Great playing and singing.  This reminds me of the 80's and early 90's for country music when I was a kid.  Good times!

I need to know what you used for the steel.  Do tell.  I read that you used backing tracks and midi, but honestly, I'm not real familiar with how that kind of stuff works.  You just get the midi, but you have to supply your own virtual instruments or what?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Myriad Rocker said:

Country definitely seems easy for you.  Great playing and singing.  This reminds me of the 80's and early 90's for country music when I was a kid.  Good times!

I need to know what you used for the steel.  Do tell.  I read that you used backing tracks and midi, but honestly, I'm not real familiar with how that kind of stuff works.  You just get the midi, but you have to supply your own virtual instruments or what?

Thank you for your comments and taking the time to listen.
https://impactsoundworks.com/product/pedal-steel/ is one of the best pedal steel virtual instruments I find.
You can download midi tracks for free on the net... there are some quite good ones out there and you just allocate the midi channel to the virtual instrument of your choice.  I also use Band In A Box as a song writing tool... this is a clever piece  of software with real players.. you just put your guitar cords in and off it goes.

• Like 1