Arturia collection V5

Tezza

Because I can no longer use Native Instruments due to Native Access not being compatible with my bad internet, I am shopping around for new suppliers of instruments and there is an Arturia Collection V5 and some others for sale locally from a mate who has stopped music production.

Arturia clicks all the right boxes for me. Their products are downloadable onto a separate computer and then can be transferred to the offline computer, as well as the updates and they also supply the .nks files for Kontrol.

Just wondering if anyone else uses them in Cakewalk, any problems? sound quality?, CPU usage? etc

Hey Tezza,

I bought into Arturia Collection V v.6 last December, 2018 and don't regret it at all.  Fantastic synth plugins, at a bargain.  Version 7 just added 3 new synth emulations to the Collection about 1 or 2 months ago, so now the collection contains 24 different synths.

If you wait until December, the collection should go on sale for ½ price, making it $250 for 24 synths.  That's just $10.05 for each of the 24.

There's a long list of posts you can read from others on v.6 here:  
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/1191378-arturia-v-collection-6-a.html

And if you do a quick search on version 7 you will find some additional threads on the gearslutz site.

If you have any specific questions, I'll be glad to help.

Regarding buying version 5 from somebody in your town, what price is he asking?  Will it include access to having your own account with Arturia so you get entitled to all the free updates?

If I am correct, v.6 added the DX7 and Buchla music easel.   Version 7 just added Casio CZ, Mellotron, and EMS Synthi.  You might want the latest version which includes these great synths.  Also, Arturia does an amazing job of improving the legendary synths by adding numerous NEW features and polyphony and Fx to the basic synths making them super cool with the latest software enhancements.  Amazing work.

Edited by Toddskins
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Toddskins,

I could get V5 for $180.00 aud but this is of course Australian dollars. New collection 7? is $499 us so that will be about $700.00 plus aud.

Yes, I get the full licence transfer, my own account and access to all updates and remarkably, Arturia doesn't even charge a licence transfer fee. The plan would be to get v5 now, muck about with it and then in December upgrade at half price which will be about $150.00 so I end up with the latest version for around $330.00 aud in total rather than $700 aud.

I know you can go crazy with super synths that might sound "better" but then your CPU grinds to a halt with just a couple of tracks. I think the Arturia synths are lighter on CPU, is that correct?

Not sure what you are referring to "super synths".   The only type of person that can address accurately if one plugin uses unnecessarily more CPU power than a comparable plugin would be one who has used both plugins of the same synth emulation.  I cannot, except for the emulation of the Prophet 5 synth, which I have by both Uhe (Repro 5) and Arturia (Prophet V3).  But I happen to have a very excellent computer and neither plugin seems to make much of a dent against my CPU (Windows 7 Pro 64-bit; i7 4790k, 32 GB Ram, SSD 500 GB).

Not that you don't already know, but having a great system helps much, and also a great sound card.  There too, I happen to have a fantastic, but discontinued, internal PCIe card by ESI called the JuliaXTe.  Very low latency and good sound quality.

• Like 1

@Tezza Having used Arturia synths since the original release of their take on the  Moog Modular way back in the early 90's they have become my go to source for synths. When the CS 80 V, ARP 2600 V and Prophet V were released I added them.  They then introduced the collections series of which I have had everyone.  Personally I love them and the new ones added in the V7 collection are all excellent  With the Mellotron having the ability to add your own samples as well, provided you keep to the length rules.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sounds good, with the analog lab, from what I've seen it acts as a browser and simplifier for the whole collection. You can browse all the sounds you have from Arturia and then pick one to put on a track, is that how it works, a bit like Komplete Kontrol?