LANDR FX Plugin Install Problem

Dev Donnelly

Question

I tried to install the LANDR FX Electric plugin (VST3).  It is a sound module with guitar sounds.  However, after install it is only recognized in the Browser as Audio FX - it should be listed under Instruments.  I recently installed the MODO BASE 2 and had no problems.  How do I get Cakewalk to recognize it as an instrument?

It is installed in the following folders:
Program Files/Common Files/VST3/LANDR - this is the only folder with a file with a vst3 extension
Program Files/Cakewalk/Vstplugins/LANDR
Program Files (x86)/LANDR

I noticed that there isn't a dll file extension in any of the folders.

Thanks,
Dev

9 answers to this question

Files with a .vst3 are DLLs. The .vst3 extension helps the scanner tell what to scan as VST3 folders may contain additional support DLLs along with the actual plug-in binary.

13 minutes ago, Dev Donnelly said:

LANDR FX Electric plugin

is an FX plug-in just like the name suggests and not a synth. Part of a suite of FX plug-ins by LANDR.

47 minutes ago, bdickens said:

No, it is not. It is an effects plugin.

Thanks to both of you for the quick response.  Do you have any suggestions for some good electric guitar lead samplers or synths?.  I just tried Spirit Audio and it sucks.  I found some that said they work with Kontakt, but would these also work in Cakewalk if I downloaded the Kontakt program?

1 minute ago, Dev Donnelly said:

I found some that said they work with Kontakt, but would these also work in Cakewalk if I downloaded the Kontakt program?

There is a free Kontakt player and a paid full version of Kontakt both work in CbB.

Some sample libraries require the full version. Unless the sample library specifically says it will work with Kontakt player assume it requires the full version. The license fees developers pay for libraries that work in Kontakt player are higher than the fees paid for libraries requiring the full version.

3 hours ago, bdickens said:

Anything half decent is gonna cost real money. Guitar is especially hard to fake.

Totally agree If you suck  at guitar either compose music that doesn’t use it or by a cheep guitar and make some noise with it and fix it with Melodyne 😬

Edited by John Vere

4 hours ago, scook said:

There is a free Kontakt player and a paid full version of Kontakt both work in CbB.

Some sample libraries require the full version. Unless the sample library specifically says it will work with Kontakt player assume it requires the full version. The license fees developers pay for libraries that work in Kontakt player are higher than the fees paid for libraries requiring the full version.

Thank you both again, I will look into Kontakt.  I just want one that at least has a trial period before I purchase.

2 minutes ago, John Vere said:

Totally agree If you suck  at guitar either compose music that doesn’t use it or by a cheep guitar and make some noise with it and fix it with Melodyne 😬

Well, I do suck at guitar, I am a fairly decent keyboard player.  I have faked a lead guitar with Dimension Pro, and I was able to bend and phrase a little like a guitar lead, but the sound was only decent in a very limited range.  I would never be able to emulate a good guitar lead on a real guitar no matter how slow the tempo.

• Like 1