Cakewalk Bundles: Can they Be Used With Other Programs?

Annabelle

Out of curiosity, is it possible to open Cakewalk Bundles .cwb, .bun, and .wrk in programs other than Sonar? I'm even wondering this same thing about other files like Protools Sessions and Digital Performer Files. I know those are competitors, but I have projects that I created with those programs, which I'd like to be able to open in Sonar.

No,

anyway, as far as I know there are:

MID (standard midi) file that can be opened with many application for midi data (including song tempo)

and

OMF files for audio contents (only multitrack audio data).

If you need to transfer projects between different applications, you need both mid and omf.

Regards,

Giorgio

40 minutes ago, Annabelle said:

Does it cost anything to obtain Reaper? If so, how much?

Reaper has a free trial period, which lasts for 60 days.

After that it has a nag screen when you start it. It goes away after 5 seconds. Every thing works.

Since the price is so low one would buy it eventually. I used it for a year before i bought it.

1 hour ago, Kurre said:

Reaper has a free trial period, which lasts for 60 days.

After that it has a nag screen when you start it. It goes away after 5 seconds. Every thing works.

Since the price is so low one would buy it eventually. I used it for a year before i bought it.

Is it accessible to screenreaders like JAWS? Good Heavens I hope so!

AFAIK, other than Cakewalk DAWs there is nothing that will open Cakewalk bundle files.

@azslow3 wrote a tool to parse and load Cakewalk project files (.cwp) into Reaper.

All DAWs use proprietary file layouts.

Moving projects from one DAW to another usually involves exporting a MIDI file and generating audio stems for importing into the new DAW.

2 hours ago, Annabelle said:

Is it accessible to screenreaders like JAWS? Good Heavens I hope so!

There is Reapers Without Peepers mailing list: https://groups.io/g/rwp All updates in related scripts, tools, current status of plug-ins accessibility and most other accessibility for music related news are announced there.

REAPER works good with JAWS and  NVDA, on Windows or Mac.

As Scook has mentioned, with some luck you will be able to transfer Cakewalk projects as is using ReaCWP.

For other DAWs there is https://www.aatranslator.com.au/ But AATranslator handles audio only, no MIDI and no FXes. Also it is pricey tool and from what I remember it is not accessible.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/11/2022 at 4:52 AM, azslow3 said:

For other DAWs there is https://www.aatranslator.com.au/ But AATranslator handles audio only, no MIDI and no FXes. Also it is pricey tool and from what I remember it is not accessible.

Depending on the DAW AATranslator also converts video but certainly no MIDI or FX and given the huge number of formats we cover that is quite understandable IMO.
We are currently doing testing on AATranslator2 which is fully compatible with most screen readers but more on that as we move closer to a release date.

Edited by SuiteSpot

3 hours ago, Alan Bachman said:

Thanks John.  It would be nice if the DAW folks could get together and agree on a particular saving format that is better than OMF, includes midi-audio,etc. - and works on all DAWS.   

In ReaCWP documentation you can find technical explanation why that is difficult  even between  just 2 DAWs, even so the target DAW is the most flexible DAW at the moment.