Massive X

Ron Stranghoener

1 minute ago, Fleer said:

Yep, best vid until Zo’s. 

Lol wanted to do one cause i think some stuff to point out but had to do one of AR 1 ...uploading it as i type ...

• Like 1

I feel conflicted about MX. 

It feels unfinished in many ways.  For example it doesn't have the tagged preset browser that NI is known for.  The search bar doesn't do anything.   The ADSR graphs are static.  There's no manual either.

Yet in the last two days I have made more  better presets with this than I have in the last 10 years with OG Massive. 

Edited by Magic Russ

14 minutes ago, Magic Russ said:

I feel conflicted about MX. 

It feels unfinished in many ways.  For example it doesn't have the tagged preset browser that NI is known for.  The search bar doesn't do anything.   The ADSR graphs are static.  There's no manual either.

Yet in the last two days I have made more  better presets with this than I have in the last 10 years with OG Massive. 

You're right Russ i suspect they released it to boost Komplete Sales ....

It was supposed to come out in October to boost sales of Komplete at regular price.

Most of the unfinished feel is GUI elements.  MX has been pretty stable otherwise.  If history is any guide we will see a point release fairly soon to deal with these issues.

As it stands, an unfinished MX is still far better than the final release of OG Massive.   I don't know that it would be my goto synth, but I'll get some use out of it, and not just because "it was part of the bundle and I may as well at least try to use it once in a while".  Using OGM was like doing homework.  Using MX is much more fun for me.

It's not so much unfinished but just kind of bland.  It's maybe the most boring synth I've gotten recently.  It needed to bring something unique to the table and near as I can tell it really doesn't.  I don't see this as changing the synth pecking order all that much.  Couple that with the AVX decision (it was a choice, they could have made it work for any hardware and work better on AVX hardware but they didn't).  I don't see this becoming the next "hot" synth.  As long as you got it with a Komplete bundle though I don't think it's bad.  I just wouldn't buy it separately.

Edited by Matthew Sorrels

3 hours ago, Zo said:

I don't recall where and who mentionned the Phase Plant but this looks killer !! kinda lost with options ....

If you have it with the rest of the Kilohearts there's tons of options.
But how good does the synth really sound?  I've got a number of synths I can throw Kilohearts on top of.
I'm going to try & demo it in the next day or so...

I was really interested in Phase Plant until I realized you need all the rest of Kilohearts products to really get it.  I have some of their stuff (freebies and a few random other bits) but I'm not sure I want another synth I need to buy parts for.  I've been resisting some of these modular synths that have been flooding the market for the same reason.

It does seem like we have gotten a whole lot of new synths and compressors these days.  Too many to really sort through them all.

I got this Massive X with the whole upgrade package.

Is this a bug in it....I select a preset. Record some stuff. Save and close the project. But when the project is relaunched, Massive X rather boring GUI is not showing the Preset name and Path name. It comes up as User as the directory and blank for the preset. The previously selected  saved patch is playing. 

Is this a bug or is it just with me?

39 minutes ago, Mystery Were said:

I got this Massive X with the whole upgrade package.

Is this a bug in it....I select a preset. Record some stuff. Save and close the project. But when the project is relaunched, Massive X rather boring GUI is not showing the Preset name and Path name. It comes up as User as the directory and blank for the preset. The previously selected  saved patch is playing. 

Is this a bug or is it just with me?

Does the same for me in Cubase 10.  Technically it's a missing feature, any VSTi can restore its setting's however it wants.  Looks like Massive X doesn't (correctly) handle preset selection (without changes) vs modification and turns everything into a User patch.

Ot but checked the kilohearts thingy , it basically like zebra updated ... lanes , source , modulation ect ...

dcided to skip komplete , pigments and everything .... my ssd is almost full .... 

Downloaded the Massive X demo and the presets today. So far not that impressed. Its sound has a bit more punch than Pigments, but it still seems to be lacking a certain something...

Maybe I'm just getting old, LOL! ;)

NI's Blocks for Reaktor is very versatile and has "de-nerdified" Reaktor to some extent. Massive X looks a bit like a Reaktor ensemble and I see some "blocks" modules in there like the Monark filter.  Maybe there will be some synergy between these products, it certainly has an unfinished feel to it.

A interesting thing when browsing in Komplete Kontrol is one can filter on certain parameters and scroll through the available sounds irrespective of the synth.  For example one can look for all synth pads that are classified as airy, processed and slow attack. The sound preview give an idea of the patch before loading the synth. Its a great way of comparing the different synths, at least as far as presets are concerned.

Of course only NKS compatible synths can be browsed in this way but Arturia, AAS, Softube, Waves and XILS are all NKS too as well as EastWest and a great mant Kontakt libraries.

• Great Idea 1

13 hours ago, Zo said:

I think even biotek is more powerfull ... but the quality of ni sound is exellent ...

I agree on BioTek, and will add the SynthMasters to that recommendation. I also recently acquired Waves Flow Motion, and find that interesting and different.

I was checking out Massive X and Pigments because of all the recent buzz out there about new wavetable synths.

I have no quibbles with the NI sound.  Always top notch! Just nothing new and exciting for me here in Massive X. And I did browse the categories using Komplete Kontrol. So I think I may also take another look at Reaktor. I have been dabbling with Reaktor Blocks Wired and Blocks Base in the Player and I like them, but the modular thing concerns me because it could quickly become a very deep rabbit hole! :D

IMHO, Massive X would be great for someone who is just starting out with synths! Covers a lot of sonic ground! But besides excellent sound quality, I'm always interested in something new and different, but if it just more or less duplicates existing synth architectures and sounds in my library I'll pass.

Always on the lookout for the one synth to replace them all, but like unicorns, doubt that will ever exist! ;)

• Like 1