Massive X

Ron Stranghoener

I would have liked to be involved in this but had to return K12U due to native access not being any good for me with awful internet. Even with the hard drive, it has to be connected to the internet all the time and downloads gigs of stuff that you cannot control. Unlike K10U which installs straight from the hard drive and updates can be manually downloaded from another computer. So sadly, unless my internet situation changes drastically, I will never be able buy any NI instrument again.

Edited by Tezza

1 minute ago, Tezza said:

I would have liked to be involved in this but had to return K12U due to native access not being any good for me with awful internet. Even with the hard drive, it has to be connected to the internet all the time and downloads gigs of stuff that you cannot control. Unlike K10U which installs straight from the hard drive and updates can be manually downloaded from another computer. So sadly, unless my internet situation changes drastically, I will never be able buy any NI instrument again.

Definitely not the end of the world.

I've only played with it for a few minutes, just cycled some of the patches.  To be honest it sounds a lot like Rob Papen synths(I'm thinking Blue 2).  Maybe it's just the presets.  Oddly enough Cubase blacklisted it on startup for me.  Had to go re-enable it.  Maybe there is more to it, but my at first glance is it's kind of boring.

Supposedly they had a lot of well known designers contribute presets (but not Rob Papen).  It does seem like the original had a whole lot more presets.

I've been looking under the hood and there seem to be a lot of interesting things you could not do in the original.  You have 6 effects slots, some of which can be used as oscillators.  You can completely change the routing.  You have a few ways of reshaping the wavetables.

There are more than a few things I just don't get, but the manual should be coming out soon.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

... Oddly enough Cubase blacklisted it on startup for me.  Had to go re-enable it.  Maybe there is more to it, but my at first glance is it's kind of boring.

I haven't tried it in Cubase yet but will give it a go. 

EDIT: Just tried it in Cubase and the it scanned OK.  However, I did just discover that Cubase seems to have blacklisted some VST2 plugin that also have a VST3 alternative. Is that normal behaviour?

Edited by ZincT

4 hours ago, ZincT said:

Just tried it in Cubase and the it scanned OK.  However, I did just discover that Cubase seems to have blacklisted some VST2 plugin that also have a VST3 alternative. Is that normal behaviour?

Cubase normally doesn't blacklist the VST2 version of VST3 plugins, unless they are 32-bit plugins, which is the most common reason for the blacklisting (the other common reason is the DLL isn't a vst plugin at all, like for example all the iZotope support DLLs). 

In the case of MassiveX I think it got blacklisted because all my NI plugins take a long time to scan (most likely because I have too many of them).  Cubase 10.0.30 seems to have a lower timeout value for VST scanning than earlier Cubase 10's.

39 minutes ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

Cubase normally doesn't blacklist the VST2 version of VST3 plugins, unless they are 32-bit plugins, which is the most common reason for the blacklisting (the other common reason is the DLL isn't a vst plugin at all, like for example all the iZotope support DLLs). 

In the case of MassiveX I think it got blacklisted because all my NI plugins take a long time to scan (most likely because I have too many of them).  Cubase 10.0.30 seems to have a lower timeout value for VST scanning than earlier Cubase 10's.

Thanks Matt. I am still on 10.0.20 awaiting a fully working update for ARA2 btw.

My NI plugins scanned quickly. but looking at my blacklist there's the odd 32bit plugin like Dropzone and Square and I try to keep 32 bit stuff off my PC although some installers don't make it easy. The others are mostly iZotope 64bit VST2 plugins of which the VST3 versions are not blacklisted.  TH-U 64 bit VST2 is also blacklisted which I think was due to a timeout. 

19 hours ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

AVX is becoming a more common thing and soon AVX2.  AVX is pretty much 2011 or newer CPUs.  AVX2 is even newer (earliest 2013)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Vector_Extensions

Games are already starting to require it.  Music software is a natural fit for what it can accelerate.  It's going to come up a lot more often.

Regarding AVX, the Fathom Synth dev  is testing it for some CPU optimizations. He plans to release Fathom with AVX2 support in the next update, then follow up with AVX, which will take him a bit longer to code. But no mention of it being incompatible with earlier processors.

Odd that NI would make Massive X incompatible with older processors.

8 hours ago, Fwrend said:

Lol, I feel your pain  but...(and i know you know this), it doesn't change the location - it just makes it's own ala Steinberg 😏.  Waves is the worse though by far!

NA_Locations.png.a5928c48841488c58d09fbd32bc56c88.png

https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/211577305-How-to-Change-the-Install-Locations-in-Native-Access

Yep this changed without my approval.  This difference is is created that subfolder in my VST plugins folder. 

20 hours ago, Tezza said:

I ran my install of  K12U at night time while I was sleeping, because for the  month of June, I knew while the sale was going on, the servers would be busy.   It it took a long time, I slept right through it.  When I woke up, everything was installed and West Africa need to wait a day  or two before the upgrade worked for it, as I discovered from a post in the forums.