Operating System Requirements

Leadfoot

Question

13 answers to this question

In my case i had to leave win10 and go back to win7 because of bad sounddevice behaviour of win 10.

I confess i was also tired of win10 updates from hell so i'm in a good mood now.

Start with win7 and go to win10 if needed by software/devices you buy.

• Thanks 1

Windows 7 updates and Bandlab Win7/compatibility will probably be phased out soon (just as XP was). I wish you gents luck, I personally loved Windows 7.

Im using Windows 8.1 with great results.

Its a great topic, a flash from the past when many just didn't want to leave Windows XP, myself included. Im not a big fan of Windows 10 but I will be upgrading soon. there's just no where to go holding on to older versions of windows. Even when Compatibility is there, strange things happen like White screens, oddity's, exc.  

• Thanks 1

CbB runs well on my W7-Pro system. Of course, the 32 GB of ram on my system probably helps a lot, I noticed a definite improvement after I doubled it from 16. My plan is to use W7 as long as possible, probably well past the End Of Life next January. I'll just keep it offline. I may even use it for the rest of my life. Of course, that may mean sticking to an old version of CbB that continues to work on it. but that is what I do anyway. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I can get away with it because I'm just a hobbyist. If my workflow remains good and I like the results, I'm not going to jump through the upgrade/update hoops until I absolutely have to.

• Thanks 1

I have been using WIN 7 for 5 or more yrs at my church and my home workstation.  NO problems transferring to church or with the workstation.   I hate the WIN 10 interface and the constant updates without the ability to say yea or nay.  I prefer the 7 interface and haven't lost anything w/ it.  Just my 2 cents.

• Thanks 1

At this point, I would say stick with Windows 7 for the time being. I "upgraded," and I put that word in irony quotes for a reason, two of my systems from 7 to 10 simply because CbB is my biggest app and I was told that support for Windows 7 was being phased out, and things have not gone well so far.

My system is contemporary enough for Windows 10, but my audio interface and GPU are getting on in years, which I suspect may be the trouble.

The laptop used to run CbB lickety-split with only 4G of RAM, now it feels sluggish with 8G.

It may be an issue that I chose the migration option rather than the clean install, I don't know, but I haven't straightened things out yet. I may reinstall with the "clean" option. I don't relish the trouble of deauthorizing all of my plug-ins and then reauthorizing, all of that stuff, reinstalling all of my programs, that would be a big pain in the butt and a lot of work.

I also just don't care for the sharp corners on the windows in Windows 10. It's a design basic that humans like things to be rounded off. Subconsciously, we think that sharp things can injure us.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Chuck E Baby said:

Windows 7 updates and Bandlab Win7/compatibility will probably be phased out soon (just as XP was). I wish you gents luck, I personally loved Windows 7...

...a flash from the past when many just didn't want to leave Windows XP, myself included. Im not a big fan of Windows 10...

Me too. I kept XP for as long as possible and upgraded to W7 reluctantly because of Sonar X3 (or was it X2?). But I soon got to like W7 and I've stuck with it ever since. I'm not a fan of W10 but I've just bought a new W10-based laptop and I'm beginning to get used to it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Leadfoot said:

I'm an offline Splat user who wants to upgrade to CbB. I'm thinking of buying a Wi-Fi hotspot to facilitate this. I'm running Windows 7 Pro 64bit. Will CbB work, or will I have to update to Windows 10? Thanks in advance!

From a software company/network engineer perspective -

Sticking with W7 will work with decreasing efficacy.   The code updates, security profiles and application integration are all going to be W10+.   The issue I see is that as you get heavily invested (time, content) in a cloud based software, the code is going to be incrementally driven towards W10.  MS is pushing to get people to W10 and W7 goes end-of-life in about 12 months, January 14, 2020.   All development will be built around maximizing W10 architecture and future architectures made possible by W10.  Plugins, application integration and cloud content are all going to be developed for users on W10+.

If you have a good rig and can satisfactorily work within the confines of  W7/Splat, then you may want to stay put and work out ways to integrate your offline product into the W10 world. 

• Thanks 1