Key Change does not stay

I want to change the key of a Piece I am working on. Transposition works fine, but when I enter a NEW key signature, the new only "holds" for a bar or so, and the original key signature comes back. Imagine having to enter the new key signature one bar at a time for an entire piece!

Edited by John Balich

there are only options to insert key signature or meter. to clarify:  I don't mean that the key reverts when I hit play. If the piece is in the key of F MAJOR and I wish to change the key signature at let's say to Bb MAJOR at bar100, the switch is made for ONE BAR....................Bar 101 shows the previous (F MAJOR) key.
If I then enter Bb at bar 101, bar 102 key signature shows F. etc etc

Edited by John Balich
SYNTAX

To me key signature (the number of sharps or flats on a staff) and transposition (the shifting of pitches applied to all selected midi notes) are two different things. 

I remember this thread from 2020.  Not sure it directly addresses your issues, but maybe.

Edited by User 905133
to add a link to a possibly related thread

On 7/9/2022 at 6:06 PM, John Balich said:

there are only options to insert key signature or meter. to clarify:  I don't mean that the key reverts when I hit play. If the piece is in the key of F MAJOR and I wish to change the key signature at let's say to Bb MAJOR at bar100, the switch is made for ONE BAR....................Bar 101 shows the previous (F MAJOR) key.
If I then enter Bb at bar 101, bar 102 key signature shows F. etc etc

I must be missing what you are seeing. Are you saying that when you add a Key/meter change using the "meter/key" screen that it adds two key changes? One bar of a key change that you inserted and then adds another key change back to the original one?

The key/meter change doesn't actually transpose existing midi notes. It just is a visual indicator of your desired key. The meter changes the metronome counting.

https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=Recording.04.html

• 2 weeks later...

Not being clear enough, sorry. I'm NOT talking about transposition. key signature only............... i looking at my score in staff view. I want to change key signature from Bb to D Major. I go to "project" and select "insert Key change" and select 2 sharps, and specify the bar I wish this key change to be in effect. In staff view i see the new key. After a few bars (sometimes as little as one) the original ( Bb) key signature appears. (2 flats signs cancelling the intended key  of   (D major) i can g to that bar and reinstate the desired key, of D Major but the software cancels that new key again after a few bars..............

48 minutes ago, John Balich said:

. . . i looking at my score in staff view. I want to change key signature from Bb to D Major. I go to "project" and select "insert Key change" and select 2 sharps, and specify the bar I wish this key change to be in effect. In staff view i see the new key.

Welcome back.  When you look at Menu Bar > Views > Meter/Key, are there key signature changes in the project after that ^^^ point?

48 minutes ago, John Balich said:

After a few bars (sometimes as little as one) the original ( Bb) key signature appears. 

By "that point" I mean "after a few bars ^^^ .  

Edited by User 905133
Added "When you look at Menu Bar > Views > Meter/Key," in case that wasn't clear.