It's Podcast Time Again

Tim Smith

No I'm not starting another one. At least not yet.

I mean the stuff for listening pleasure while driving. Any favorites? 

There were a few audio mixing podcasts I listened to for awhile. You really have to sift through them because some of them sound like adolescents who figured out how to make a podcast and like to hear themselves talk. Talk show hosts that shouldn't really be talk show hosts. A lot like the music now. You can put anything out there.

I don't tend to listen to any one thing all the time. For awhile there I listened to German podcasts to learn  German since a few of my buds know the language I wanted to hang with them. We have Amish around here and the German they speak is NOT the German they teach. It's really a tough language for me to pick up. 

Then I was into a few of those paranormal podcasts. I might catch one on the way home tonight on my car android setup. I am wearing thin on a lot of that. Much of it isn't worth the time it took to find it. The only one I really occasionally catch now is Jim Harrold. Some of that can be ok if I fast forward through the commercials and Jim's sales pitches.  I sometimes catch Ben Shapiro. He's a guy one side loves to hate and the other side loves. He talks fast. Very fast. I have liked some of the true crime podcasts but over time they can be depressing and dark. Mr. Ballen is one of those. He is a good story teller. The stories are supposedly all true and some of it is almost unbelievable. I can take him occasionally in small quantities. I listen sometimes to John MacArthur. He's a straight shooter IMO but religious so that might not be appealing to many here.

To have a good podcast you need a good speaker and an interesting subject. Lots of these podcasts are profit driven and exist to make money. Others are clearly an interest of the podcaster. Larger companies are now getting involved because there is money in it if you do it right.

When I had my audio recording podcast I had offers from marketing companies trying to get me to interview their clients. It's really odd to see some of the people trying to "make it" in the music biz. One guy was all tinsel and no substance. He had literally paid his way into everything with zero talent. I can still pull up the old podcasts but I took stopped paying the server so the links are all dead. I had a few of them somewhere on my hard drives.I could have accepted their clients for a fee but that wasn't really my schtick. I wanted to pick my own guests.

I have considered maybe getting back into it again if things were done right. I just didn't have the time to stay with it and it's a little like owning a restaurant. It might be a fun thing to do, but imagine making food 7 days a week and can't get any help. The fun goes away fast.

On YouTube CreativeSauce has built his numbers up pretty well and he makes a great informative show.  I have some admiration for what goes into maintaining a YouTube channel like that on a regular basis and keeping the programming current.

Anyways...I am reminiscing some. Really I just wanted to know if you found any podcasts you especially like and tune in to? I'm not really into debase stuff or devil worship so none of that has any appeal for me. You can probably find almost anything if you look, but to cover a subject well you need someone who knows that subject well and can put the info out there in an interesting way.

I used to listen to several audio-related podcasts. One day I'm listening to an episode where one speaker is drifting off-mic and barely audible, while another speaker is pegging the meters. Ironically, the topic was compression. Another time the subject was acoustics, but sounded like it was recorded in an empty room with a mic 6 feet away. After awhile I started questioning whether I should be taking audio advice from people who make such awful-sounding podcasts.

I switched to political commentary for a few months, but gave that up because my walks are supposed to be relaxing, not for raising my blood pressure.

Nowadays I listen to audio books, especially comedy. A favorite that I return to often is George Carlin's Napalm and Silly Putty. Another is the original BBC radio production of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Also any of the old Firesign Theater albums, e.g. Waiting for the Electrician or Someone Like Him. These are like Greatest Hits compilations, in that I can recite them from memory but still enjoy hearing them again. Carlin's mellifluous voice is especially conducive to relaxation and falling asleep. 

• Like 3

Can't go wrong with George Carlin in my opinion!  Talking about Firesign Theatre, when I was active in my college's radio station, we subscribed to their radio shows.  I seem to recall they came in on vinyl, but that was decades ago [confirmed per wikipedia]. It looks like someone has remastered them.  I haven't listened to them to see if they are what I remember, but the dates are right.  Thanks for jogging my memory; I haven't thought of them in half a century!    

It looks like the versions we subscribed to were the one-hour edited national syndicated versions trimmed from the originals.

Edited by User 905133
info added
  • Like 2