Can a song in C major key uses black note?

Lummy Keen

Dear All good day,

I am aware that there are no black notes in C major key, however i found that there are some songs in C major key that use black note, for example the "not a pop song - by little mix",

1. why isn't there any dissonance since it plays notes outside of the C major key?

2. Is this known as the "Accidentals"? 

3. Under what circumstances can i use notes outside of a key?

Thanks all

• Like 1

Accidentals, passing tones, lots of names. But just take a common chord in the key of C, the C7. It's C - E - G - Bb. I guess if I were reading this in sheet music, I would consider it an accidental, but it's a very common one, and doesn't necessarily take you out of the key of C.

BTW, the interval between the E and the Bb is called a Tritone, and it's comprised of 3 whole steps. If E were the root the Bb would be the diminished 5th or augmented 4th. I've read that in the early days of standardized Western music, the tritone was considered "The Devil's interval" and was forbidden by the Catholic Church. I've also read that's an exaggeration. Devil's interval or not, I like it.

Notes ♫

• Like 2

On 7/7/2022 at 9:02 PM, Lummy Keen said:

1. why isn't there any dissonance since it plays notes outside of the C major key?

2. Is this known as the "Accidentals"? 

3. Under what circumstances can i use notes outside of a key?

1 - Luck.

2 - Yes.

3 - Once you've paid the licence fee.

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

BTW, the interval between the E and the Bb is called a Tritone, and it's comprised of 3 whole steps. If E were the root the Bb would be the diminished 5th or augmented 4th. I've read that in the early days of standardized Western music, the tritone was considered "The Devil's interval" and was forbidden by the Catholic Church. I've also read that's an exaggeration. Devil's interval or not, I like it.

Notes ♫

Thread Hijack!  New Subject:   Songs with the Devil's Interval!

The Immigrant Song: Led Zeppelin

Bali Ha’i:  Rodgers and Hammerstein from South Pacific.

Maria: Leonard Bernstein from West Side Story.

Edited by RobertWS
  • Like 1

HI:)

This upper Song is in G Major!

So you have:

G  Am  Bm  C  D/D7  Em  and F#m5-

In addition you can use the Dominant Sevenths of the "normal Chords"

D7  E7  F#7  G7  A7  B7  and C#7 

In the Song is used 

G  B7  C Cm

So, clear is  G and C as Tonic and Subdominant and B7 as Dominant of the E minor.

Unclear is Cm, but often used as a way to lead back to the Tonic G. But it sounds strange in this song...

Hope this helps;)

Bassman.

Edited by Heinz Hupfer
  • Like 1

Can a song in C major key uses black note?

Not if you're playing a guitar, saxophone or timpani. The closest they can get is the occasional brown or blue note. But they have no black notes.

Come to think of it, neither do pianos. They have black keys, but the notes are rainbow-colored. F#, for example, is navy blue in my synaesthesiac brain. E is yellow, A is red, and only G makes sense, being green.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1