Editing Individual Midi Clips (Takes) in Piano Roll

Ron Benvenisti

Question

I've been trying to edit individual midi clips (takes) in a track in the piano roll. No matter which clip I choose to view in the piano roll, it only shows one of the clips which I have not chosen to view in the piano roll!  When looking at the clips in the track, that one clip shows all the notes as green, with small parts of the other clips in green. The smaller green notes in the other clips also show in the piano roll but do not sound! Only the clip that I do not want to edit.

I've been using Cakewalk since it first came out and I either don't recall ever having this issue or just forgot or don't know how to do this. It may have appeared with the latest release because I don't ever remember having this problem. 

I simply want to edit the midi notes on the clip I select.

What am I doing wrong? It seems like this process should be straightforward: select the (take) clip, view in piano roll and edit!  

Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by Ron Benvenisti
clarify clip as take

5 answers to this question

The piano roll works at the track level.

To see one lane at a time, mute the clips in all the other lanes and enable "Hide Muted Clips" in the PRV View menu.

To see one clip at a time, mute all the other clips in the track and enable "Hide Muted Clips" in the PRV View menu.

4 minutes ago, sjoens said:

Using the "K" key to mute a clip will hide it when enabling "Hide Muted Clips".

Clicking a Take Lane "Mute" button won't hide the clip.

That's right because muting take lanes is not the same as muting clips.

"Hide Muted Clips" works at the clip level.

Since the introduction of take lanes there have been a couple of requests to change the granularity of the PRV and hide function in the PRV.