Kilohearts Essentials: 30 free plug-ins

Starship Krupa

This may have already been posted, although I did my usual search.

Back in late May, Kilohearts greatly expanded what's included in their collection of Kilohearts Essentials freebies, adding 24 new FX to go with the half dozen that originally came with the package. It looks like they're taking a hint from the Meldaproduction marketing playbook. They have the very minimal ("essential," one might say) UI's associated with these plug-ins. Where there's overlap, they're no threats to the ones in MFreeFX Bundle, but sometimes you don't need/want that level of power/complexity, right? With Meldaproduction, some people never want that overdose of control!

Where they don't overlap, there are some useful goodies in the collection, especially Reverser, Tape Stop, Pitch Shifter (freeware pitch shifters are hard to come by and this one sounds really good), and Ensemble. I haven't tried all of them, but the ones I have tried have the typical kHs great sound quality.

These are the new ones from May:

• Bitcrush
  • Comb Filter
  • Compressor
  • Nonlinear Filter
  • Distortion
  • Filter
  • Flanger
  • Frequency Shifter
  • Gate
  • Haas
  • Ladder Filter
  • Dynamics
  • Phase Distortion
  • Phaser
  • Pitch Shifter
  • Resonator
  • Ring Mod
  • Reverser
  • Reverb
  • Trance Gate
  • Transient Shaper
  • Tape Stop
  • Ensemble
  • Formant Filter

• Thanks 2

Highly recommend the Kilohearts $29 SnapHeap Snapin Host to use with these Essentials FX. Turn them into an awesome FX rack!!! :)

It allows you to build up to seven serial or parallel effects chains and modulate every parameter using Kilohearts' powerful modular modulation system.

https://kilohearts.com/products/snap_heap

Just ignore the Slate promos in this video, as this was an older video produced by Slate, but it still gives a nice overview of what you can do with Kilohearts SnapHeap.

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

@Starship KrupaI have and very much like these plugins. As you're vastly more knowledgeable on this stuff than me, I'd love to see more posts from you weighing in with your opinions and advice.  They're really helpful for me. Same thing for you @cclarry. You provide us with a wealth of deals,  but I've heard your playing -- which is really good--and can tell you have strong production skills and would love to see more of your advice, especially with regard to mixing as you clearly know your stuff and folks like me can learn from that. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Thanks 2

Here's a screen grab of SnapHeap showing off a large number of factory preset chains, as well as the available macro knobs that can be controlled in real-time, or automated, and the modulators at the bottom.

This thing is modular, so you can pretty much add any of the 24 Essential Snapins anywhere, in any order. Nice for sound design stuff. Start with a preset and then add, delete, or move the Snapin modules as you explore.

SnapHeap runs as an audio FX plugin in your DAW. :)

KHs SnapHeap presets- macros- and modulators.PNG

Edited by abacab
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, smallstonefan said:

Do Kilohearts run sales?

I'd like to pick up Multipass but not sure if I should wait or not.

Kilohearts used to run occasional sales. Not sure what's happening next since the recent release of v2, where they gave away the Snapins, plus had a sale on Phase Plant.

I see that they are still offering the $9.99 month "Everything" subscription, where you get a $100 voucher every 12 months to buy perpetual licenses with.

Subscriber Rewards

A few people have asked if this is rent-to-own, and the answer is: Almost. Because the content of the Kilohearts Subscription keeps on growing, there is no fixed price to pay off. So instead, we created Subscriber Rewards..

For every twelve months you subscribe, we will give you back a $100 Kilohearts coupon.

The months do not have to be consecutive, so if you need to take a break you can still re-subscribe later and pick up where you left off. And if you don't claim your coupon it will increase in value by another $100 for every further 12 months you subscribe!

We feel that this is even better than rent-to-own as you’re not committed to anything and if you quit subscribing after twelve months you will still have a $100 coupon to spend!

• Subscriber Rewards coupons cannot be combined with any other coupons or discount promotions.
  • Coupons will be fully consumed at purchase. No remaining amount will be available for another purchase.

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ron Stranghoener said:

Well I never got the download link to work on the free essentials page but after digging around I downloaded their installer for all their products. By using that i was able to download all the freebies AND snap heap. I didn't pay for anything!

I assume that you already had a Kilohearts account? The installer is only aware of what is already licensed to your account, or else you can try out the trials.

I believe they gave away the Essentials + Snap Heap when they recently upgraded everybody to v2.0. They are charging $29 for Snap Heap now.

Edited by abacab

3 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

I, too somehow wound up with a free license for Snap Heap. Now that I have so many modules, must check it out.

Likewise, I discovered I have it already.  Finally looking at it now.

Snap Heap looks like an effects rack like MixBox and Guitar Rig.  It does seem well designed--with a fairly clean, functional, and spartan GUI (reminds me of Ableton Live).

I've been learning about effects starting with AmpliTube and Guitar Rig in the context of guitar effects, but seeing how effects are used in SampleTank and Syntronik and then MixBox has helped me better understand the overall concepts.

I find it useful to look at preset effects chains to learn how others are using the effects.  Having another source of effects presets is great for education.

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

3 hours ago, ALC said:

Likewise, I discovered I have it already.  Finally looking at it now.

Snap Heap looks like an effects rack like MixBox and Guitar Rig.  It does seem well designed--with a fairly clean, functional, and spartan GUI (reminds me of Ableton Live).

The Kilohearts Snapin "hosts" all use the same modular FX concept and software code under the hood. Phase Plant, Snap Heap, and Multipass are all modular in design, and can arrange the FX Snapins in virtually unlimited configurations. They are a key part of the sound design potential when used internally in the Phase Plant synth.

Multipass is similar to Snap Heap, but takes things to another level. You can separate the incoming audio by frequency bands, and then apply the different FX lanes to different frequencies! :)

Edited by abacab
  • Thanks 1