"Ginger's Song"-Original Instrumental

Johnbee58

Hi JB.
Finally got around to listening to this track.
Its a very heart felt track...

They sound recorders to me that we used to use at school.  🙂
I think it would sound a completely different track if I could let you had some of my piano samples.
Did you record midi on the piano?
If so... send me your piano midi track and I will send you back the track.

I am always amazed at your vision with chord changes.

Good job.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, garybrun said:

Hi JB.
Finally got around to listening to this track.
Its a very heart felt track...

They sound recorders to me that we used to use at school.  🙂
I think it would sound a completely different track if I could let you had some of my piano samples.
Did you record midi on the piano?
If so... send me your piano midi track and I will send you back the track.

I am always amazed at your vision with chord changes.

Good job.

Thanks Gary, but I'm completely happy with the Yamaha CS 80 electronic piano sample (Toontrack EZ Keys) here.  It probably doesn't have the depth of yours because you obviously use top of the line programs, but I'm happy with what I have.

The flute is a Chinese dizi flute plugin which is free from an outfit called Chinese Winds.  I've used it quite a bit on many of my tunes.  It makes a nice lead.  I don't know if you've ever heard of a group called Shadowfax, but about 15-20 years ago they had a guy named Chuck Greenburg (sadly passed away some years back).  He was a woodwind player who, along with saxophone, played an electronic wind instrument called the Lyricon.  His tone that he used the most sound quite a bit like the flute here. The one I use is supposed to emulate a Chinese flute.  Again, thanks for the kind words!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYP1WUDJhCQ

🙂JB

Correction-The Yamaha e piano is a CP 80.  Not a CS 80.

Edited by Johnbee58
  • Like 1

Oh man that made me sad looking at the picture of your pup while listening to the song.  Sorry for your loss.  I thought the electronic piano sounded fine, but maybe an acoustic would be better - I don't know. Anyway - good composition and thanks for posting.

I thought the mix sounded pretty good to my ears.

• Like 1

First of all please except my sorrow at the loss of your best friend, I lost my Golden retrievers some years ago and still I look for them even now … so you never forget … and I guess that's the way things are ..

To your song, I would have thought a little more reverb on the flute, so as to lay it back in the mix and then allow the piano a little more room with a bit more lower end and then introduce the other instruments with slight panning to give a wider feel to the sound.

The drums seem fine here.

The bass is lost towards the end of the mix and the whole thing gets a little fussy with all that's going on, I think you should step back a bit and then remix without getting too close to the reason why you wrote it.

Having said that, it's a great bit of work so I wish you luck with it.

The pic is unforgettable ….

Steve

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SPAK said:

First of all please except my sorrow at the loss of your best friend, I lost my Golden retrievers some years ago and still I look for them even now … so you never forget … and I guess that's the way things are ..

To your song, I would have thought a little more reverb on the flute, so as to lay it back in the mix and then allow the piano a little more room with a bit more lower end and then introduce the other instruments with slight panning to give a wider feel to the sound.

The drums seem fine here.

The bass is lost towards the end of the mix and the whole thing gets a little fussy with all that's going on, I think you should step back a bit and then remix without getting too close to the reason why you wrote it.

Having said that, it's a great bit of work so I wish you luck with it.

The pic is unforgettable ….

Steve

Thanks so much for listening, Steve.  I love Golden Retrievers.  Such pretty puppies.   I must have been so sad to lose them.  😢

😀JB

• Thanks 1

Man, I know -- and dread -- those feelings so you had me from the get-go.  However, the song really picked up interest for me from 3:25 onward.  Some very nice stuff going on there -- in fact, you could turn some of those chord changes and such into a song with vocals.  It would work well, I think.  

~~Allan

• Like 1

John,

This is a very heartfelt tribute to your baby...

I had avoided the song for a couple of days because my granddaughters name is Ginger and I wasn't sure where it was going (haha on me right?)🙄

But overall the song is nicely written...

I know there's been a lot of critique about the flutes, ep, bass all that (and mostly good) but I think you're doing a great job conveying your emotions with what you have.

It's a beautiful song that will continue to stand for a long time coming...

My condolences to you on your loss, but congratulations to you and ability to express your love.

• Like 1

Hi, John,

Very nice job on this melancholic, yet very pleasant instrumental!👍

It sounds really nice and conveys your heartfelt feelings perfectly.  I'm sure that Ginger is wagging her tail somewhere in doggie heaven!😀

Nice work, buddy, have a good one!
Bob

• Like 1

John, I just got back from my internet vacation and finally got around to hearing this.  First, this is a lovely eulogy for your pet and one that helps us share the loss with you.  For the technical stuff:  The flute at the beginning still overwhelms the piano, but after a while it seems to balance out OK.  From 2:50 to 3:00, the scale doesn't seem quite right between the strings and piano.  There's dissonance there, which may be the way you planned it.  I can grok that.  Finally, exactly what role does Easy Keys play in this arrangement?  I ask because I'm curious about this software program, as I'm not a very good keyboardist, myself.  

All in all, you hit the mark from a gut level.

• Like 1

Thanks Lynn.  The dissonance is planned.  There's tension there that I wanted. 🙂

How EZ Keys fits into the arrangement is how the piano articulates the chords.  I'm not much of a pianist either.  EZ Keys comes with a certain amount of "style articulation" presets.  You can buy more in the form of what they call "MIDI Packs".  You can use the presets straight as they come or you can customize them with your own chord progressions, chop up the bars one by one and kind of "mix n' match" everything until you have your own unique piano part.  These, of course, are all fully editable so if your chord progression doesn't follow what the player who programmed the articulation did as far as intervals and such, you can edit the MIDI in the DAWs MIDI editor to whatever your liking is.  It's a great program and I recommend it highly. BTW-I'm not an employee of Toontrack, so I'm not paid by them to sing it's praises.  I just love the program so much, as well as EZ Drummer.

Thanks again, Lynn.  I was getting a bit worried about you being gone for so long.😉

🙂JB