Did you make more music when you retired?

smallstonefan

17 hours ago, smallstonefan said:

I understand what it's like to be ready for a change Tim- I've been with my company about 38 years.

Quite impressive to be at one place that long. I have stayed in similar line of work since 1989. Only in the last few years did I get into a less physically demanding and more computer centric part of that work.

It's kinda tough working on a computer all day,  then coming home to another computer for music. Last night I did just that though. I'm squeezing the last bit of use out of my existing  DAW while planning a future build. Still working toward the space I planned to use for mixing. It's in the pipeline. Maybe being retired will give me the time to get it done faster. I have the space already, it just needs to be completed. 

For me 'retired' would not be idle. I plan to be doing other things. 

Edited by Tim Smith

Hi Tim,

It is a VERY long time. My father started our business in 1984 and I went in part time when I was about 15. I've been running the company since around 2010.  It's been good for me and my family. That said, I'm ready to move on to other things in a few years.

I don't intend to be idle either. My wife and are will be moving to The Villages in Florida. My parents are there now and we've visited many times. It's an over 55 community that is a city of over 135,000 people. It's an amazing place - often compared to Disney for adults. There are over 2,000 activities and I've built a spreadsheet of about 30 clubs I want to look into. This list includes things like learning to fence, RC sail boats, deep sea fishing, and so much more. AND it's a golf cart community which is really cool to me. :)

Check this out. I clicked the link of activities for today and there are 614 events scheduled FOR TODAY.

https://www.thevillages.com/calendar

They have homes in all price ranges and everyone gets the same access to amenities and activities regardless of home size.

I watched my father retire early and it wasn't good. He was still local and found himself drinking too much with nothing to do. I've learned that a happy retirement requires things to do and people to do them with and the Villages fits that perfectly.

For any of you unsure what to do with retirement, I highly suggest you check this place out. :)  You can actually go for a lifestyle visit very cheap and it's a mini vacation. 👍

Oh, and I do have a budget set aside for a studio build - I absolutely want to make more music when I  don't have a job. I find it really challenging to "schedule" creative time around other obligations.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, smallstonefan said:

Hi Tim,

It is a VERY long time. My father started our business in 1984 and I went in part time when I was about 15. I've been running the company since around 2010.  It's been good for me and my family. That said, I'm ready to move on to other things in a few years.

I don't intend to be idle either. My wife and are will be moving to The Villages in Florida. My parents are there now and we've visited many times. It's an over 55 community that is a city of over 135,000 people. It's an amazing place - often compared to Disney for adults. There are over 2,000 activities and I've built a spreadsheet of about 30 clubs I want to look into. This list includes things like learning to fence, RC sail boats, deep sea fishing, and so much more. AND it's a golf cart community which is really cool to me. :)

Check this out. I clicked the link of activities for today and there are 614 events scheduled FOR TODAY.

https://www.thevillages.com/calendar

They have homes in all price ranges and everyone gets the same access to amenities and activities regardless of home size.

I watched my father retire early and it wasn't good. He was still local and found himself drinking too much with nothing to do. I've learned that a happy retirement requires things to do and people to do them with and the Villages fits that perfectly.

For any of you unsure what to do with retirement, I highly suggest you check this place out. :)  You can actually go for a lifestyle visit very cheap and it's a mini vacation. 👍

Oh, and I do have a budget set aside for a studio build - I absolutely want to make more music when I  don't have a job. I find it really challenging to "schedule" creative time around other obligations.

I'm happy for you. I hope it all works out for you. One of my co workers who retired did a similar thing and went to Florida. It seems to have worked well for him.

• Thanks 1

On 7/4/2022 at 10:31 AM, Tony Carpenter said:

I’m frivolous with my time. I’ve been ‘retired’ about 30 years. Raised my son, got unemployable aged and moving too much. Music is part of my life always has been I don’t do anymore than I used to. In fact at this point I do less ( recording wise). I do play live (online ) quite a bit nowadays. 

I retired in 1999, did a bunch of music, but now I just seem to collect VSTs!

Clipboard-1.jpg.e87eb2e9733539d739a0ebb61b6ed4c7.jpg

I do have some big plans to get back again soon, but other hobbies have taken over my time (like painting).

Edited by Jim Hurley
added CR to image

4 hours ago, Jim Hurley said:

Clipboard-1.jpg.e87eb2e9733539d739a0ebb61b6ed4c7.jpg

Childs play 🙂

image.png.8ca5e576fbec026eb54c0df4995f29a3.png

"He who dies with the most plugins, wins"?

FWIW Some of mine are subscriptions but I doubt I'll end those while I walk the earth 😉 

Edited by Bapu
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Bapu said:

Childs play 🙂

FWIW Some of mine are subscriptions but I doubt I'll end those while I walk the earth 😉 

I think the vast majority of mine are Melda and NI VSTs.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bapu said:

Childs play 🙂

nice VST count but still only 13 bass guitars !!!  

47 minutes ago, Bapu said:

@Sheens Ahem!!! 14 basses, 4 guitars, a real drum set, bass rig and Vox AC-30 2x12 and a tambourine. 🙂 

enough rack tuners ? ( 1 dozen spares don't show in the vid)

Edited by Sheens

On 7/6/2022 at 6:25 AM, smallstonefan said:

Hi Tim,

I don't intend to be idle either. My wife and are will be moving to The Villages in Florida. ***  They have homes in all price ranges and everyone gets the same access to amenities and activities regardless of home size.  ***

This was great to read!  I'm seriously looking at switching coasts and moving to The Villages in the next year or so (hoping to do the lifestyle visit later this year).  Since retiring a couple of years ago I've released almost 10 albums (EP's really) and have been far more productive (I'll leave for now the quality vs. quantity debate! 😊). 

Very cool that you've budgeted for a studio.  Good luck on the move and if end up down there I'll look you up.

Edited by SMcNamara
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, SMcNamara said:

This was great to read!  I'm seriously looking at switching coasts and moving to The Villages in the next year or so (hoping to do the lifestyle visit later this year).  Since retiring a couple of years ago I've released almost 10 albums (EP's really) and have been far more productive (I'll leave for now the quality vs. quantity debate! 😊). 

Very cool that you've budgeted for a studio.  Good luck on the move and if end up down there I'll look you up.

I'm glad you found value in it! The Villages may not be for everyone but it is a pretty special place and my wife and I really look forward to getting down there. If you have any questions about it feel free to shoot me a private message - I've been many times and have a pretty good grasp of the place.

Your comments on music are VERY encouraging! I really struggle "scheduling" creative time and the business is always in the back of my mind. I look forward to discovering what it's like to have freedom of schedule - and I plan to make a LOT more music! :)

My friend moved to Florida a few months ago.  102 degrees F in early Spring, High humidity.  Lightning storms almost everyday plus the bugs and reptiles are of Jurassic Park proportions!  Sorry, no thanks!  Heck, I get too warm and start sweating when it hits 72 degrees F!

9 hours ago, craigb said:

My friend moved to Florida a few months ago.  102 degrees F in early Spring, High humidity.  Lightning storms almost everyday plus the bugs and reptiles are of Jurassic Park proportions!  Sorry, no thanks!  Heck, I get too warm and start sweating when it hits 72 degrees F!

I’ll take that over six months of Nebraska winters any day 👍

I took early retirement (I'm 62) in January and my songs have become my new "job". I'm lucky enough to have a decent sized spare room that I can use as a studio. It's much more interesting and satisfying that being an electronics engineer and dealing with all of the corporate BS that goes with working for a defence company. 🤣

Edited by Keith Wilby
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Keith Wilby said:

I took early retirement (I'm 62) in January and my songs have become my new "job". I'm lucky enough to have a decent sized spare room that I can use as a studio. It's much more interesting and satisfying that being an electronics engineer and dealing with all of the corporate BS that goes with working for a defence company. 🤣

That's wonderful Keith - kudos to you and thanks for sharing! :)

• Like 1

Interesting thread, getting to know some of your life situations. After I retire, the log jam of time will break, and the output of songs will be like so many dangerous logs bobbing and roaring down the river, hundreds of logs, and videos, and a dangerously coherent website, and if it ends up that this is all a delusional view of my future then I will be very disappointed.

59 is near, and it could be three years or 10. Does anyone happen to know what inflation and the world economy will be doing in three years or 10?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, PhonoBrainer said:

Does anyone happen to know what inflation and the world economy will be doing in three years or 10?

I wish I had a crystal ball...

Well actually I do - it's 35 pounds and looks really cool but doesn't actually show me any visions of the future. 😁