Did you make more music when you retired?

smallstonefan

I'm technically not retired yet, because you don't just retire from a sole proprietor business. I say I'm "semi-retired", because I still have a job but I just don't work very hard at it anymore.

But to answer the question: yes, since entering into this minimal-work phase of life I spend far more time immersed in music. I play in a band, I compose and record my own music, contribute to bapu's Citizen Regen project, and even set aside time to just sit in the sun or lie in bed listening to music. At my age I am well aware that the finite number of hours left in my life are rapidly ticking by, so I've become increasingly picky about how I spend them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’m frivolous with my time. I’ve been ‘retired’ about 30 years. Raised my son, got unemployable aged and moving too much. Music is part of my life always has been I don’t do anymore than I used to. In fact at this point I do less ( recording wise). I do play live (online ) quite a bit nowadays. 

Thanks Dave. I have a lot of things I want to do and try. The idea of owning my schedule and not having the worries of the business hanging over me 24x7 sounds incredibly liberating. I’m going to start piano lessons now so that I can be more productive when that time comes. 

1 minute ago, Tony Carpenter said:

I’m frivolous with my time. I’ve been ‘retired’ about 30 years. Raised my son, got unemployable aged and moving too much. Music is part of my life always has been I don’t do anymore than I used to. In fact at this point I do less ( recording wise). I do play live (online ) quite a bit nowadays. 

Hard to imagine 30 years down the retirement road! But I’ll be about 55 when I get out so many be I’ll make it that long. :)

5 hours ago, smallstonefan said:

I am wondering how many of you planned to do the same thing

I am hoping to, and I'm probably a year or so away from the R word. However, I think Mrs AndyB01 has other plans... 😂

For me it's on the radar and only future health outcomes will dictate the timing. Hopefully when I get out I'll still have some quality time. For me lately I've had all of this 'stuff' to try and complete before that time comes and the 'stuff' is smothering my music time.  I haven't fit very well into the slots I've tried to put myself into musically in public, so this demands a rethink. When a person gets to be that age I hate to say it, but it might not matter as much either way save for mental health.

Right now I continue to work but my heart isn't in it at all. I might look for something I like to do. Not that what I'm doing is necessarily bad. It isn't.It's just that I've done it for 20 years.

22 hours ago, smallstonefan said:

What plans does she have? :)

Well she doesn't have a musical bone in her body, so me spending more time with my guitar/ keyboard or my hard-earned pension on software and more 'musical toys' probably don't feature.

It's not all bad, she has other qualities 😁

Andy

• Haha 1

I was only with my company for 32 years, but as i was productive when i worked, i was productive in music also.

Since being retired (its when others pay your contributions Mr Dickins) i’ve certainly been less productive in music. I honestly don’t know if there is a correlation there but ………

For the last few weeks i’ve forced myself and i’m getting back (i hope) to where i was 3 years ago.

YMMV of course…..

J

• Like 1

On 7/4/2022 at 9:26 AM, smallstonefan said:

Did you make more music when you retired?

If farts count as music, then I probably will! 😁

TBH, I still have some desire to make music, but thanks to how life has turned out, I've had to sell or give away just about everything which has meant the loss of most of whatever skill and knowledge I had.  The thought of trying to almost start over learning instruments, theory and ear training is daunting.

The other issue is that the current BS World seems to want me retired now as I'm apparently too old (will be 60 next year), the wrong color and over-qualified for just about anything I apply for!  I'm really hoping to keep my current part-time job going for as long as I can stand it (we should find out soon if we get a year extension on our contract which ends in September).  

1 hour ago, craigb said:

TBH, I still have some desire to make music, but thanks to how life has turned out, I've had to sell or give away just about everything which has meant the loss of most of whatever skill and knowledge I had.  The thought of trying to almost start over learning instruments, theory and ear training is daunting.

Getting it back is usually WAY easier than it was developing it in the first place.

• Great Idea 1