MIDI - disable input monitoring

Eezye

is there a way to disable input monitoring during playback and automatically enable it during recording on MIDI tracks, like you can for audio tracks? i am recording using an E-drumkit and during punches, i'd like to hear only the previously recorded material up until the punch point. as of right now, i can hear the playback AND monitor the kit at the same time, and its very distracting.

thanks!

31 minutes ago, razor7music said:

Are you wanting to layer additional drums over the top of the already recorded MIDI drums? If not, of course you can just delete the recorded MIDI parts that you're punching over, then you won't hear them while you're recording the punch part(s).

no, but i will set the punch point and play along to the already recorded material a few measures before the punch actually occurs in order to get a more natural flowing performance, and in doing so i can hear both the existing MIDI notes as well as what i'm playing at the same time, which is very distracting

this is the exact method that i use to punch in audio tracks, and it works very well for me... would be nice if you could use the same method for MIDI tracks as well

Edited by eezye

3 minutes ago, razor7music said:

I see now. So you want to play during the cue part and not hear the live drums over the recoded drums until the punch-in point, and then you want to just hear the live drum part. Is that right?

yes, exactly this! 

Male sure your recording is set-up as " Overwrite " mode and not  " Sound on Sound ".  Hover the mouse over the  Record button and a drop down menu will open so you can quickly change methods.

13 minutes ago, RBH said:

Male sure your recording is set-up as " Overwrite " mode and not  " Sound on Sound ".  Hover the mouse over the  Record button and a drop down menu will open so you can quickly change methods.

that is not the issue i'm having, i am using overwite mode. what i am asking is if there is a way you can "disable input monitoring" for MIDI tracks, exactly like you can with audio tracks. this is for pre-punch playback, where i prefer to NOT hear the MIDI input i'm playing and only the recorded MIDI performance until i hit the punch point

Edited by eezye