CbB not finding new USB device

DSL

Question

Please help

I've just bought a Mackie ProFX USB mixer to replace my MBox2. I connected up to the computer and audio system, but when I opened up CbB it gave me the 'no audio device' warning. I opened Preferences and there is nothing in the devices panel. I don't know what to do now - is there a way to ask CbB to scan for devices? I can't remember what I did when I first installed MBox2...

Dave

preferences view.PNG

13 answers to this question

11 minutes ago, DSL said:

No, I thought it was done automatically by Windows when it 'found' a new device

Ok I get the prize for being a noodle! I downloaded a driver and CbB now working. Thanks a lot!

Lots of people never read the instructions that come with stuff? I find this very odd? 

Mackie usually supplies very good manuals with very easy to understand instructions with sometimes a little humour tossed in.
I have 2 of their mixers the Pro EFx and a Mix8. None USB.  

The Mackie ASIO driver was not that great in the past. Hopefully they have released something better since I last used it. 

Edited by John Vere

1 hour ago, John Vere said:

Lots of people never read the instructions that come with stuff? I find this very odd? 

I think it is, quite frankly, stupid.

In my former life, I used to be able to fix cars that no one else could because I would do RTFM first instead of after days of banging my head against the wall and throwing $$$$ of parts around. I even more than once had a colleague ask me for help after having torn a car apart trying to "fix" something that was a design feature!

Of course, this forum would be considerably shorter if people would RTFM. The "songs" subforum might be a lot longer, though....

2 hours ago, John Vere said:

Mackie usually supplies very good manuals with very easy to understand instructions with sometimes a little humour tossed in.
I have 2 of their mixers the Pro EFx and a Mix8. None USB.  

The Mackie ASIO driver was not that great in the past. Hopefully they have released something better since I last used it. 

Hi John,

The mixer came with a simple multi-language booklet showing the basic features; but no manual as such. There's certainly no mention of downloading drivers. I believe that one can download a manual from the website. Having said that, the device is supposed to be class compliant...

I downloaded a driver and it seemed to work, at least CbB was able to function. In the Devices panel ( Preferences) it just says Mackie ASIO driver, not the device name, which I find slightly worrying; and the outputs on the Master buss say Analogue1 + Analogue 2. I also have a Mackie Big Knob, and I would like to specify which device CbB should be using. 

As you obviously know a great deal about CbB, please could you tell me if:

a) The current state of the setup sounds a little iffy? (as I suspect)

b) How to correct it? You probably have a video on this but I couldn't find one...

The desired setup is to have the ProFX as the USB input/output device for CbB for tracking and playback, with the Big Knob taking audio input from the ProFX and USB data from other computer applications (eg YouTube, iTunes); that's how I've patched it and it seems to be working... 

I've attached a snip of the devices panel. I think both devices are probably there but I have no idea if that's so; and if it is which is which...

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Dave

ASIO driver devices.PNG

1 hour ago, bdickens said:

I think it is, quite frankly, stupid.

In my former life, I used to be able to fix cars that no one else could because I would do RTFM first instead of after days of banging my head against the wall and throwing $$$$ of parts around. I even more than once had a colleague ask me for help after having torn a car apart trying to "fix" something that was a design feature!

Of course, this forum would be considerably shorter if people would RTFM. The "songs" subforum might be a lot longer, though....

I agree with you wholeheartedly - I'm an engineer. But I also believe in asking for help when I need it, especially in areas outside of my field of expertise...

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, DSL said:

I agree with you wholeheartedly - I'm an engineer. But I also believe in asking for help when I need it, especially in areas outside of my field of expertise...

I agree with this as well. When you're new to something, you have no real way to know what you don't know.

FYI, and for anyone else coming across this: these days manuals are almost exclusively found online.

I guess Mackie is going Green 🤢

I like paper manuals still but I get the point of on line stuff too. But see what happens is then a well meaning user doesn’t always realize this so is kinda forced to fumble around in the dark. 
Anyhow your one page of settings looks normal and ASIO drivers are often shared by different devices made by the same company. 
But ASIO has a limitation of one driver at a time  so if the big knob is an ASIO audio interface as well, then it will only show if it does use that same driver. 
I think it will have a (2) after the device name. 
The only other option is to use WASAPI shared mode but then tracks will record out of sync so don’t go there 

When they say an interface is class compliant that is mostly aimed at Mac users. If you didn’t install the ASIO driver the mixer would probably work fine with WASAPI mode but with the syncing issues 

Edited by John Vere

3 minutes ago, John Vere said:

I guess Mackie is going Green 🤢

I like paper manuals still but I get the point of on line stuff too. But see what happens is then a well meaning user doesn’t always realize this so is kinda forced to fumble around in the dark. 
Anyhow your one page of settings looks normal and ASIO drivers are often shared by different devices made by the same company. 
But ASIO has a limitation of one driver at a time  so if the big knob is an ASIO audio interface as well, then it will only show if it does use that same driver. 
I think it will have a (2) after the device name. 
The only other option is to use WASAPI shared mode but then tracks will record out of sync so don’t go there 

Thanks John! The setup appears to be working so far, but I haven't done any tracking yet so fingers crossed. I freely admit that I don't really understand all these drivers and protocols, but I'm glad that people like yourself do and are prepared to help out.

Have a good one...

Dave

FYI for future reference: the term "class compliant" does not apply to ASIO. Most operating systems provide a common driver for "class compliant" devices so they will work with the driver model(s) built into the OS. But Windows does not provide ASIO, so class compliant doesn't apply.

P.S. The term "class compliant" refers to compliance with the USB specifications for device classes. Device classes include audio, mass storage, midi, and several others.

Edited by bvideo

Yep. Mostly it’s just for Macs which apparently work just fine with those drivers. But they just don’t report latency to Cakewalk so Cakewalk has to guess what the latency is and it’s most often late buy a least a 1/32 note or worse 

Edited by John Vere

7 hours ago, bvideo said:

FYI for future reference: the term "class compliant" does not apply to ASIO. Most operating systems provide a common driver for "class compliant" devices so they will work with the driver model(s) built into the OS. But Windows does not provide ASIO, so class compliant doesn't apply.

Thank you, I did not know that.