Drum Replacer Question - ANSWERED-

razor7music

Hello Forum

I've just started using Addictive Drums and like how easy it is to use, but am a bit underwhelmed with some of the instrument samples, like cymbals.

In the past when I didn't like an instrument sample from a sample collection, I would insert a whole other soft sampler to play just that instrument.

Well, I've never used Drum Replacer and I'm wondering with a little practice if this would be a better way to go to just replace some crash cymbals? I watched the tutorial videos, and they all seemed to focus on the kick, snare, and hihat transients--so I'm not sure it's worth using in my case, for a track that has about 5 crash hits.

Also, I want to use the cymbal sample from my NI Abbey Road drums samples.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by razor7music

There is no reason to use the drum replacer when working with MIDI drum data. Use the cymbal MIDI data to drive a different synth. Either break out the MIDI data to a different track or use a Drum map to drive AD and what ever is playing the cymbal samples.

1 minute ago, scook said:

There is no reason to use the drum replacer when working with MIDI drum data. Use the cymbal MIDI to drive a different synth. Either break out the MIDI data to a different track or use a Drum map to drive AD and what ever is playing the cymbal samples.

Gotcha. So it's better for extracting from audio, like loops.

Sounds like the way I've been doing it is the recommended method.

Thanks!

22 minutes ago, Craig Anderton said:

I highly recommend buying a couple of cymbals, and overdubbing them . You don't have to be a fabulous drummer to hit a cymbal at the right time, and the difference in sound quality will cause many people to think you're using "real" drums.

Interesting suggestion. Being a drummer, I know what you mean about realism. I'm actually really pleased with the NI drum sample collection I have. I went crazy and bought, Abbey Road Modern Drummer, AR 80'S Drummer, and Studio Drummer.  Between those three, I can always find an instrument that sounds real enough--or with a little tweaking, can sound real enough. Sometimes it takes layering, etc. Much more realistic than Addictive Drums IMO. For their cymbals, it has to do with the tails. They drop off like a low-end sample.

On the topic of sampling live instruments, I sampled my mom playing a couple violins my uncle made by hand back in the day. Now that they're both deceased, I'm really glad I did!