Zero Audio

Steph

Question

Hi.  

Running Windows 11 on a new'ish HP laptop - i3 Intel Core - a Behringer UM2 audio interface, old school Altec power-up speakers (avec sub-woofer) plugged into the headphone jack of my laptop, just to give you an idea how hi-tech this operation is.  Trying to get off the ground and record something, anything.  

Problem: a signal is going in - I see it moving on the track (trying to do guitar, first): I can't hear squat.  These are my settings:image.png.2d8c40aa57119a868d80e021031101b2.png

image.png.4bdef4534c9bbf06516230f034b9288e.png

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you.

Steph

image.png.cc20e6594759fd98c9120b39a3860169.png

13 answers to this question

Well, first of all it looks like you are trying to record guitar into the mic of your laptop? That is not going to produce any good results. Second, if you want to hear the input then you have to click the "input echo" button that is on each track. However, you will get feedback from your speakers into the microphone. You need to use headphones when recording.

There are some good video tutorials in the tutorials section of the forum. that will help you get started. In addition, reading the documentation is always a good place to star.

38 minutes ago, Steph said:

What am I doing wrong?

Not using a real audio interface that has real ASIO drivers.

Even if you were using this Behringer interface you mentioned, you would constantly be fighting sync issues because it doesn't have a real ASIO driver.

Sorry to say, but you should have done your research before spending your money.

• Like 1

I agree with above. Sadly those interfaces are no better than using your on board audio system. They probably work fine with a Mac. 
If you can still exchange it get something like a Focusrite. 

These videos will help you learn more about what you are trying to accomplish. 

#1- Audio Set up- Try everything here and see if it helps first 

#20- How to set up an Audio Interface.  

# 103 for info on the purchase of a interface, kinda late now.  

#106- Why ASIO is important 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1

That looks like a complicated set-up that's going to be fraught with problems.
I know many people try to use what they have while looking for something better. I s the USB mic the only mic you have? You need one that will plug into an interface instead of the computer. And unplug the speakers from the headphone output and plug headphones in, if you have them.
Electric or acoustic guitar? Do you have a guitar amp? You would probably get better results plugging an electric guitar straight into the Behringer.
Make sure the outputs of the track are to a valid port. If the output reads 'HDMI' and you're listening to the RealTek HP out, you won't hear anything.
It's a big program and can be complicated at first, and the set-up is often the hardest part, but you'll get there.

• Like 1

Scook is right. Now let's start with the most accurate and precise things. 1. Connect the interface via the USB cable .... not via audio cables or anything else. 2. download the drivers from Behringer special for this sound card model ... not something else generalist type ASIOFOR ALL, or other nonsense like that. I see in gray about 8 out what your model does not have 8 outs ... a sign that the drivers are not good. 3. very important!  Disables all inputs and outputs that contain the laptop sound card, as long as an in or an out of the laptop sound card is active ... the ASIO drivers of your Behringer sound card will not work ... or will be gray, meaning inactive. Make sure that only the inputs and outputs of your sound card are active in the window with the inputs and outputs of the audio subgroup from the cakewalk properties. 3. Put on ASIO, mandatory to driver mode and then make sure that playback timing master and record timing master are inputs of the Behringer sound card, usually the first two ... I think that's it. That's about it. The system will work. Success!

11 minutes ago, siordanescu said:

2. download the drivers from Behringer special for this sound card model ... not something else generalist type ASIOFOR ALL

Unfortunately, Behringer did not create a driver for the UM2. Their website only offers ASIO4All for this device.

This is why the OP, in their other thread, was told to use one of WASAPI modes.

10 minutes ago, siordanescu said:

2. download the drivers from Behringer special for this sound card model ... not something else generalist type ASIOFOR ALL, or other nonsense like that

Except that this model uses ASIO4ALL and doesn't have a dedicated driver. Puts it out of the running.

A couple steps up in the Behringer food chain gets a real ASIO driver.

13 minutes ago, siordanescu said:

I see in gray about 8 out what your model does not have 8 outs ... a sign that the drivers are not good.

Nonsense. The number of ins & outs has nothing to do with the quality of the drivers.

Thanks Scook! I understand. But even if he uses wasapi drivers, it's still not good to mix them with those of the laptop's onboard sound card. I'll check too ... At one point I had a Behringer UCA 200 board in my hand, which officially didn't have 24-bit ASIO drivers and ... I don't know how, other than on their official website but I found those drivers ... and they worked perfectly. I'll look ... I promise!

3 minutes ago, bdickens said:

Except that this model uses ASIO4ALL and doesn't have a dedicated driver. Puts it out of the running.

A couple steps up in the Behringer food chain gets a real ASIO driver.

Nonsense. The number of ins & outs has nothing to do with the quality of the drivers.

Sorry ... I did not express myself correctly, I think .... I was not referring to quality but to the fact that there are no dedicated drivers for this model. Meanwhile, Scook clarified for me.

To correct what people are saying the Behringer actually uses a USB generic codex as you can clearly see in the screen shots. Asio4all is not involved here. It is a plug and play driver. I have an older Behringer interface that uses that same driver. 
It is just fine for playback and for working with midi only recording. You just can’t  use it for recording audio without sync issues and what not. 
It may not support WASAPI modes. It will work just fine using the codex driver but with limitations of use as stated above 

Behringer offers ASIO4All on the UM2 web page.

ASIO4All is a wrapper for WDM drivers.

The device itself is class compliant so it should work with WASAPI on Win10/11.

Class compliant audio devices used WDM prior to Win10.

When you connect them Windows downloads and installs that codex driver so it different than others. You don't need to install asio4all.  As I said I have a very similar interface made by them. I guess downloading asio4all is an option but people are pretty used to never reading instructions and just plug stuff in and go. You can see this is exactly what the OP has done. My guess is asio4all would have even more latency than WASAPI shared. 

I'm not sure what exactly happens when you use the USB Codex driver input but the Realtek output? I would try using just the USB codex output to see if that works and plug your computer speakers into the headphone jack of the interface. 

Out of curiosity I just plugged mine in and it works fine. I even played a very dense mix with a lot of plug ins. I used WASAPI shared mode like the OP. It also ran fine in WASAPI exclusive so both are supported.   But It defiantly stalled when I tried to record a loopback test. Very sluggish. They are therefore a small step above using Realtek on board audio. You just get some proper jacks to use. One can do the loopback and adjust the timing offset in sync and caching if you choose to put up with work arounds. 

Screenshot (382).png

Top track, Yellow,  is original audio drum track 

Middle  track , Green, is the loopback using WASAPI exclusive which is 1/64 note late at 120 BPM 

Bottom track Blue is WASAPI shared which is 1/32 note late @ 120 BPM  

If you don't understand what this means it is to demonstrate what your guitars and vocals will be like if you try recording audio in WASAPI modes as apposed to ASIO. ( asio4all is WDM mode as said above, not ASIO. It would be even later. 

64834365_Screenshot(384).png.fe5fb48844a9e47b3f83677f10aee732.png

Edited by John Vere