Arturia Pigments

cclarry

On 6/28/2019 at 8:18 PM, abacab said:

Well based only on the video demos I've seen so far, Pigments has the lead, IMHO...

So today I decided to try the unlimited Pigments demo (until July 4th). On the upside, it has a fantastic user interface, one which I wish several of my current favorite synths would adopt!

I ran through the quick tutorials and skimmed the user guide. That reinforced my favorable impression of the user experience. Then I proceeded to audition all of the featured presets, and then some. Was looking for something in the sound department that would grab me, and say "gotta have this"!

It's not bad, but I didn't find anything especially unique, in comparison to the synths I already have. Overall I found the featured presets sort of bland and uninspiring.

I tried tweaking a few things. Probably in the hands of a top creative sound designer, it might shine, but so far am not seeing that.

Overall, IMHO,  the experience was underwhelming. But still have a few days until the 4th to change my mind. Who knows? ;)

1 hour ago, abacab said:

So today I decided to try the unlimited Pigments demo (until July 4th). On the upside, it has a fantastic user interface, one which I wish several of my current favorite synths would adopt!

I ran through the quick tutorials and skimmed the user guide. That reinforced my favorable impression of the user experience. Then I proceeded to audition all of the featured presets, and then some. Was looking for something in the sound department that would grab me, and say "gotta have this"!

It's not bad, but I didn't find anything especially unique, in comparison to the synths I already have. Overall I found the featured presets sort of bland and uninspiring.

I tried tweaking a few things. Probably in the hands of a top creative sound designer, it might shine, but so far am not seeing that.

Overall, IMHO,  the experience was underwhelming. But still have a few days until the 4th to change my mind. Who knows? ;)

Yep the interface is exellent ...that said nothing ( this can be said to all new synth since a decade) .... now the fun thing will start when you import your stuff ... 

If anyone is sitting on the fence about this the sale is supposed to end today July 4th.
There was a problem on Arturia's web site last night where the sale price wasn't what hit the shopping cart but looks like they fixed it.

• Like 1

Did a quick comparison between Massive X , Phase Plant & Pigments - I liked Pigments the best.

Note that I'm a synth hacker not a programmer.  Don't have patience to program a patch from scratch but can fine tune something that's ballpark or that I find interesting.

Real quick gloss-over, superficial summary:

Massive X - not really ready for prime time.  That you can't use your own wave files anywhere is a major disappointment. Like the sound quality. Hopefully will mature into a killer synth.

Phase Plant - a beast, can probably make this thing take over a small country but more than I want to deal with when I want to use a synth. Wasn't overly impressed with patches but probably wasn't in right frame of mind at time that I was checking it out.  Will give this a more serious look next time it goes on sale but for now passing on this.

Pigments - favorite of the 3.
Things I like:

• GUI, great feedback on what's going on
  • Can use my own wave forms as oscillators, be nice if I could use them in other areas such as for LFO
  • For me it feels very tweak friendly i.e. easy to find what I'm looking for when hacking a patch.

Other

• I really like like some of the patches but IMHO a lot are mediocre / unimpressive.

Like I said this is a superficial summary.  YMMV.

Peace out - have a great 4th of July!

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, Zo said:

i'm exepriencing blank gui here when i open pigments last version , anyone ?

There's a new update, v1.2.1 is that what your running?
Didn't have a GUI issue with with previous or this one but I've not run it in CbB.

Thanks for the heads-up TS.

I did finally go for Pigments at 69 EUR for the crossgrade.

Not had any blank GUI issues with the demo either standalone or in CbB (I am running the latest version).

Edited by ZincT