Write Cycles

Johnbee58

Last year I bought a new PC for my music.  The main reason I chose this was the solid state hard drive because of the faster loading speeds.  My projects do load much faster than with the old HDD, but my big concern is something I didn't know about until after I ordered it and that is the fact that SSDs have a limited amount of write cycles where disc drives are indefinite.  In my research I found that there are ways to find out your current write cycles and how many you have left but in the process of creating a song I do a lot of deleting and re writing audio because I always convert MIDI to audio before mixing, but I do keep MIDI data just in case I want to change something later.  My drive is 1 terabyte total and in a recent check I found I was almost half way through the capacity and my tech say you can't add a slave drive to it and SSDs are still pricey so I looked through my files and found that I  could re claim about 20 gigs by deleting all of the install files I  had.  I backed them up on a fairly large external drive (just to play it safe) and re claimed that space but I'm wondering if files like install and configuration files constitute write cycles when you download them from the vendors onto your drive.

Thanks 

John B 

John I really wouldn't sweat this if I were you - I have a desktop and laptop with two SSDs in each - the oldest must be getting on for five years and they've all been rock solid. 

As long as you're buying decent quality, you should be OK. All disks can fail, just that SSDs tend to give no warning and you're not having too much joy with traditional data recovery tools if they do.

This article might be of interest.

Just adopt a solid and reliable online and offline back up routine, then kick back and focus on the music. 🎶🎶 🙂

Andy

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AndyB01 said:

John I really wouldn't sweat this if I were you - I have a desktop and laptop with two SSDs in each - the oldest must be getting on for five years and they've all been rock solid. 

As long as you're buying decent quality, you should be OK. All disks can fail, just that SSDs tend to give no warning and you're not having too much joy with traditional data recovery tools if they do.

This article might be of interest.

Just adopt a solid and reliable online and offline back up routine, then kick back and focus on the music. 🎶🎶 🙂

Andy

@AndyB01Thanks for the link.  Very informative.

🙂JB