IK Mixbox updated to 1.5.0

BTP

20 hours ago, Fleer said:

Same here. Feeling more ambivalent each time. 

I'm the same way about IK.  I ignored them for several years, but really bought in during the last group buy.   I kind of regret it now.  I'm not sure I'll ever buy another IK product.

Its such an odd company - the products seem great, but they just seem to have strange bugs, and their product rollouts seem to be the worst in the business.  I mean, they are just disastrous on occasion.   Look at the IK threads here - confusion on the processes, updates not working,  the list goes on and on.  I don't think I've seen a smooth rollout from IK yet.  And their update credits for existing customers are bad.  Really bad.  My experience with their support has been poor as well.

Look at the Native Instruments or Arturia rollouts - simple, easy, clear, and they "just work."

Hats off to Peter, he comes here and tries to help, but what he has to deal with certainly isn't easy.

Edited by husker
  • Like 7

28 minutes ago, husker said:

Look at the Native Instruments or Arturia rollouts - simple, easy, clear, and they "just work."

Hats off to Peter, he comes here and tries to help, but what he has to deal with certainly isn't easy.

Once you can get the new software from Arturia maybe, but their servers and everything grind to halt and stop responding and syncing purchases as well, on almost any release, so they're maybe not the best example 🤣

But they do seem well coded besides that.

Agreed with Peter too.. whatever they pay him, they should at least double it!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, abacab said:

Great example of a conundrum... :)

It definitely is! Some of their products are actually really good and sound great. I would say some of the best group buys I've seen too.

If they could just focus more on some of their standard shortcomings and listen more to customer feedback they could be unstoppable.

9 hours ago, Magic Russ said:

Obviously that saying came before the release of MTurboDelay.

I have mtd but I think it needs more modules that are straight forward like a guitar pedal.  

I use mturbo reverb a bit but the delay have some trouble getting what Im after pretty frequently.  

As for IKM.  They took on the whole gammut of plugins from hardware simulation on both the instrument and effects side.  Not sure of anyone else that does both as well.  Though outside of group buys not exactly known for budget/value.  And agree they need to work on the update process both pricing and technical execution.  

I'd also like to see them work on efficiency of computer resources.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Benny Bear said:

Apologies if the solution has been written elsewhere, but can anyone reveal the solution to the greyed out Sunset in Mixbox? I'm suffering from it too!

See Page 3.  Peter's last post there: "Update - if you send me your username (or open/reply to your support ticket) I believe there's a workaround/solution for the modules being greyed out and we can get you up and running.  Thanks!"

6 hours ago, Benny Bear said:

Apologies if the solution has been written elsewhere, but can anyone reveal the solution to the greyed out Sunset in Mixbox? I'm suffering from it too!

Opening an IK support ticket was the only way that worked for me. I already had a legit MixBox serial, but IK support had to assign me a new MixBox serial number in order for the Sunset Reverbs to show up as activated. A "workaround" I suppose, until they get this fixed in their system. But regardless, it works now.

Their support team did a great job, even during the weekend, to resolve my issue.

By the way, the new presets are worth it! They are "Rack" presets that combine the selected Sunset module with other MixBox modules to create an interesting FX chain. :)

PS. I initially tried to pay for it but couldn't get the $9 price to work - I think because I picked up Sunset Sounds Reverb in a Group Buy. Still not sure yet because I haven't back, but like others, I'm beginning to wonder why I even wanted to pay for it - again. (??)

• Haha 1

@abacab Thanks for the details. You have inspired me to try navigating IK's support ticket system for the eligibility issue. (Yes, I know its a pre-sales issue v. yours which is a technical issue, but who knows.)  I have a few presets-in-progress in Voltage Modular that use MixBox and its rack board UI can be very handy. Each of the 8 slots has up to 20 parameters exposed including a slot on/off for each, plus there are 4 Rack Parameters (Power, Input Level, Output Level, and Bypass).

If multiple MixBox, T-RackS 5, and T-RackS 5 Sunset Sound Reverb licenses don't qualify me for either a free MixBox SSSR Expansion or the under $10 deal, I will pass.  Its easy enough to put other T-RackS modules into VM.

Update: MixBox --> non-MixBox SSSR works.  SSSR exposes 7 parameters (Input, Dry, Wet, HP Freq, Low, High, LP Freq) plus Bypass (not On/Off). Interesting: When Bypassed, the 7 parameters can be changed remotely as the other SSR UI Parameters, but the new settings don't take effect until SSSR is unbypassed remotely. 

I am wondering how the MixBox SSSR compares, esp: (1) How many and which parameters are exposed? and (2) are the (a) SSSR presets (29 Inserts and 29 Sends) selectable via MixBox and (b) are the Reverb Types and their individual options exposed?

No longer wondering about this after looking at the 5 MixBox SSSR-based modules (as explained below).

Edited by User 905133
(3) clarification edits; (2) To "withdraw" the wondering questions; (1) To add an update and some wondering questions

27 minutes ago, Fleer said:

Do I understand this correctly? Can we add our already owned Sunset verb into MixBox or should we pay for it?

No. You would need to add your already owned T-RackS Sunset verb as a regular FX in your host.

I purchased the new Sunset verb module collection for MixBox, as I qualified for the $6.99 price since I already owned the T-RackS version.

There was a slight technical snafu with my existing MixBox serial# that prevented my new modules from activating in MixBox. All resolved now by IK support.

P.S. The new MixBox presets are very much worth the $7. 😎

One preset example:

New MixBox Preset Example w SSSR.PNG

Edited by abacab
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, abacab said:

One preset example . . .

Thanks for the screenshot!  It jogged my memory and I found the IK page that displays the MixBox SSSR modules. For the time being (until I learn otherwise), I will assume that at most the specific parameters exposed by the MixBox Studio 1 [SSSR-based] modules are the 3*** or 4**** found on the faceplates plus the general slot parameter*.

• *** pre-delay, decay, mix   
  • ****pre-delay, decay, mix, plate 1/plate 2
  •  * slot on/off

Footnote:  I examined a number of IK resources on MixBox CS as well as the full version of MixBox updated to 1.5.0 and cannot find any differences.  So, I am hoping that the free MixBox CS added to my account was an administrative error and people like me with valid licenses for both of MixBox and T-RackS 5 Sunset Reverb should have gotten a free license for MixBox-SSSR Expansion .  That makes sense to me.  A free license for MixBox CS makes zero sense. 

And yes, I am an optimist and I believe that Peter can help sort this and the other issues out on behalf of loyal IK customers as he has done before.

Edited by User 905133
(2) to add a footnote re: the seemingly unnecessary "free" license of MixBox CS; (1) fixed typo
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

Thanks for the screenshot!  It jogged my memory and I found the IK page that displays the MixBox SSSR modules. For the time being (until I learn otherwise), I will assume that at most the specific parameters exposed by the MixBox Studio 1 [SSSR-based] modules are the 3*** or 4**** found on the faceplates plus the general slot parameter*.

• *** pre-delay, decay, mix   
  • ****pre-delay, decay, mix, plate 1/plate 2
  •  * slot on/off

Yes, MixBox modules have just the faceplate controls. That is the biggest functional difference between MixBox and T-RackS. The MixBox is simplified, which I find appealing. More like a quick stomp-box approach for dialing in a sound for live play, rather than endless options for mixing.

Here they are, all 5 of them! :)

MixBox-Sunset-Sound-Studio-Reverb-Modules.jpg

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, abacab said:

Here they are, all 5 of them! :)

Thanks for posting them for the benefit of others (who might not have the time to click on the link I included).  I would have posted it myself, but I am too lazy to remove some of my earlier maxed out images, to set up a folder somewhere for additional images, apply for and figure out how to use a third-party image hosting site, etc.  Besides which, I enjoy playing with music / audio software much more than visual and hosting software!!

Edited by User 905133
to add a little bit more
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

I would have posted it myself, but I am too lazy to remove some of my earlier maxed out images, to set up a folder somewhere for additional images, apply for and figure out how to use a third-party image hosting site, etc.

No problem, glad to assist!

On the old Cakewalk forum I used to use Imgur to host my pics for forum posts. That was always an annoying extra hoop to jump thru, IMO.

But since the new forum now allows direct uploads, I use that. The max limit here is usually easy to stay beneath, especially if you use photo editors with "save for web" that allow you to resize and compress files. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, abacab said:

Here's a quick mock-up using the Orange Tree Evolution Rock Standard. First 20 secs is the just dry guitar, and the next is with that MixBox preset above switched on (Madcat Space Guitar Lead). Same dry OT guitar preset in both parts though... 😎

Photograph Intro (Orange Tree Evolution Rock Standard).mp3 892.67 kB · 5 downloads

Good Karma to you for the Def Leppard example.   Every time someone checks Lep, the world moves one step closer to true peace. 

• Great Idea 1
  • Haha 1