Weird MIDI 'Hit' When Transport Stops

AndyB01

Anyone know what's going on here?

Really simple set up - two MIDI tracks: one for Scaler and one for EzKeys. Scaler is routed to EzKeys VST. Four chord sequence from Scaler dropped into EzKeys track. On playback the transport is set to return to start (that's how I set it) but as soon as you get to the track end, there is a massive audio spike of sound; it also happens if I stop the transport during playback.

A little investigation shows the 'spike of sound' to be misleading - it depends on the VST instrument in use. So on pipe organ it manifests as a huge 'hit' of multiple keys being pressed at once however, on piano it manifests as the 'sound' of a sustain pedal being pressed down very firmly. Also, if I freeze the track - no hit.

All of which tells me that this is a spurious bit of MIDI data which is triggering this, I have looked at the Piano Roll and through the Event List and I don't see anything there that shouldn't be - so I'm a little stumped.

Anyone come across this before and know how to fix it?

Thoughts appreciated as always

Andy

I get a similar issue with Ample P bass lite. Randomly you hear what I determined is a slap sample when you press the transport to stop playback. It’s very annoying but it’s a free version so I won’t complain.

There is absolutely no midi data to generate the note which is way up above C7. So it will be the plug ins involved not Cakewalk. Obviously Scaler from what you say. 

If you output the VST to Midi Ox it will possibly show you what the midi data is. 

Just for the record, whenever I hit the spacebar to start a song, you can see a MIDI 'hit' on every MIDI track, just a quick flash at the top of the meter in Console and Track views. Sometimes when using the mouse on the start/stop button. I don't hear it, though.