Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes

57Gregy

When I retired in '19, I knew it wouldn't be a bed of roses, but I was making it.
Then in '20 something happened, and everything started costing more, prices rising across the board.
I've been holding on by cutting luxuries, like lunch, sold some land to my brother, sold my Stratocaster, sigh.
So I took a part-time job with my former employer, unloading trucks and stocking shelves. Second shift, 2 days a week and they started me at almost what I was making when I quit. It's a different store than previously.
Trying to get into the swing of things, but when you've spent the last 2 and a half years watching TV and playing video games, everything is a pain.
Looking forward to having lunch today!

Anyone else had major life changes other than those in that other fred?

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

On 6/29/2022 at 9:48 AM, 57Gregy said:

When I retired in '19, I knew it wouldn't be a bed of roses, but I was making it.
Then in '20 something happened, and everything started costing more, prices rising across the board.
I've been holding on by cutting luxuries, like lunch, sold some land to my brother, sold my Stratocaster, sigh.
So I took a part-time job with my former employer, unloading trucks and stocking shelves. Second shift, 2 days a week and they started me at almost what I was making when I quit. It's a different store than previously.
Trying to get into the swing of things, but when you've spent the last 2 and a half years watching TV and playing video games, everything is a pain.
Looking forward to having lunch today!

Yepper!  As I mentioned deep in one of those other (probably deleted) freds, I'm now working a part-time (two, sometimes three, days a week) job where it's mostly manual labor maintaining new bus stations (most of which are still fenced off and not open yet).  I'm helping some friends start a new company which includes some IT work like making checklists and interactive Excel spreadsheets to auto-create reports.  They're paying me probably three times what they should be, so I'm actually doing better than on my last full time IT Help Desk job!  

Oh, and I definitely don't need to go to the gym!  It took a few weeks for my body to be able to handle the work (and getting up at serious non-nerd hours like 4:30am!).  But, now, it's only my June allergies that have been killing me (very high grass seed pollen time).  I'm slowly catching up on things now. 🙂

Edited by craigb
  • Like 3

After years of going from bad job to worse job, in November 20, I finally found the best gig I've had since moving to the US 10 years ago.  Not quite as lucrative as my last job in Canada, but adequate. And I work nightshifts, from home. Can't ask for better than that...

A month later, my mariage ended (this had been coming for a while).

We are on good terms, so we shared the house for the next 10 months, but I've essentially been living here alone since the beginning of 21, and officially since December.

So that gig really happened at the right time. Not sure where I would have ended up otherwise. And the subsequent promotion also came in at just the right time, as it allowed me to keep the house alone.

It's a big house, too much for my needs, but, after 9 years living here,  it provides me with a sense that I have some roots in this city and country. Plus, this neighborhood is the best. The landlord is a friend and considering the market, I get an extraordinary deal. I would have a tough time finding a 2 bedrooms apartment for this price around here. 

That being said, I am on an extraordinarily tight budget.

I know, I know - I just bought a guitar. I'd been working OT and saving for that.  And I am aware that I may have to sell one of the others that I don't use as much if things get too tight, too.

Also said farewell to my dog, my dragon, and all of my cats but one.

But I am good, really. :)

• Like 4

Yeah, short of selling a lung or kidney, employment was my only option. Well, I could have died, like the plant above, but I'm not ready for that.
And I really didn't want to go back to work. Thankfully, my boss at work (or 'team lead' as they're called nowadays) says she will give me the schedule I want. We'll see.
Gas prices have been declining here for the last 2 weeks, but still almost 3X what they were in October of 2020. I know they came down after the last big gas "crisis" circa 2004, but this may be a case of the oil companies wanting to get it while they can, what with all the talk of going electric everywhere.
Thank goodness our gear is already electric!
Sorry for this "Oh woe is me" post. Things are tough all over.

Sorry to hear about the dissolution of your marriage Rain. FWIW I have been through it too and given the way she was, I am better off. Remarried now-Happily. I'm guessing COVID might have played a part in adding to the issues many experienced.

So you are an 'established' American Canadian now? The thing that concerns me about  LV Nevada is the water supply. Lake Mead is dangerously low right now. I had heard Las Vegas gets some of their water from that location. Maybe I'm wrong.

You had a dragon? 😲

So far as having enough, we are holding at bay right now. My commute to work helps because often I take someone else in with me and they help with gas expenses. Food is definitely getting more expensive. I consider myself fortunate so far. We do the best we can do right?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tim Smith said:

Sorry to hear about the dissolution of your marriage Rain.

Ditto. My adopted philosophy: "it all works out in the end, but if it's not worked out, it's not the end"

Edited by Bapu
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Tim Smith said:

Sorry to hear about the dissolution of your marriage Rain. FWIW I have been through it too and given the way she was, I am better off. Remarried now-Happily. I'm guessing COVID might have played a part in adding to the issues many experienced.

So you are an 'established' American Canadian now? The thing that concerns me about  LV Nevada is the water supply. Lake Mead is dangerously low right now. I had heard Las Vegas gets some of their water from that location. Maybe I'm wrong.

You had a dragon? 😲

So far as having enough, we are holding at bay right now. My commute to work helps because often I take someone else in with me and they help with gas expenses. Food is definitely getting more expensive. I consider myself fortunate so far. We do the best we can do right?

Thanks, Tim. I appreciate. Glad to hear that it all turned out for the better for you too. 

My green card is valid until 2025. I believe it's easier to renew them it and to get it for the first time, so at the moment, I am thinking that I will likely apply for that. It would make sense to buy the house too if I can. 

I guess I'll always be Canadian but after 10 years in the US, I'm probably a bit American too by Canadian standards.  10 years in Vegas, 9 in this house - I've not spent as much time in any city in my adult life, and never as much time in any building in my entire life. Of course I miss Quebec, but I would miss Vegas just as much if I were to leave. ’ll never be 100% home anywhere because I have 2 homes. Which is a blessing, as odd as it sounds.

Yep, a bearded dragon. Here you see her and Astrid the dog, quite perplexed.

94638345_10157502291392582_4410161716197851136_n.thumb.jpg.37d7f6d90945dda0674a6f9d4e4eb23b.jpg

I did not expect a bearded dragon to be so aware of her surroundings and to interact as much with me as she did.  They are surprsing little creatures.

• Like 2

Love the pets !  I might be afraid the lizard would try to eat me while I'm asleep 😲

Here's a few pics of my dogs. I tend to let them go a long time between haircuts. There's a before and after hair shot since they went in for cuts recently.

zigcut.jpg

zz.jpg

• Like 2

On 7/1/2022 at 4:39 AM, Rain said:

My green card is valid until 2025. I believe it's easier to renew them it and to get it for the first time, so at the moment, I am thinking that I will likely apply for that. It would make sense to buy the house too if I can. 

If you come in from the south I don't think you need anything. In fact they seem to be helping people across.

I would say you are probably pretty Americanized by now. I'm sure many Canadian traits stick for life.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2022 at 12:48 PM, 57Gregy said:

I'm in the process of walking away from everything. I'll let you know how it goes in 6 months. Haven't worked in 9 years and now I'll be in the street if I can't find a living wage. Something over $25/hr plus health insurance. IOW ... I need to find the nearest sturdy branch that will hold a noose.

• Confused 1

On 6/29/2022 at 11:48 AM, 57Gregy said:

I've missed a few short putts this year and now tense up when faced with them.  

So, pretty traumatic and earth shattering.   But I'll bravely soldier on.  Because that is what real men do.

4 hours ago, Shane_B. said:

I'm in the process of walking away from everything. I'll let you know how it goes in 6 months. Haven't worked in 9 years and now I'll be in the street if I can't find a living wage. Something over $25/hr plus health insurance. IOW ... I need to find the nearest sturdy branch that will hold a noose.

Can't really 'like' this post.
Stick with it, Bub. Once you've walked away from everything, it's hard to get it back.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Shane_B. said:

Some tough times  there .

Every thing  you have mentioned in your post could be temporary as long as you don't try to solve the temporary problems with a permanent solution ...

Hopefully this too shall pass .

Kenny

• Like 1