SHOW/HIDE STRIPS AND GROUPS IN CONSOLE VIEW

Herbert Zio

When the nesting folders feature was released, I had suggested that we have this option in the "Console View", I was told it had the "Track Manager", where I could hide the tracks I wasn't working on. I know that the "Track Manager" is an interesting feature, however, my suggestion was to have something more accessible so that I didn't have to always use shortcuts and select "Ok" for the action to be executed.

I was testing another DAW, and I saw in it the idea that I had suggested, I thought it would be interesting to share it here so that you can see and maybe implement the idea in the Cakewalk, it would make the workflow a lot easier.

See that on the left side of Ardor's "Console View", you have the option to "Show/Hide Strips" and at the bottom of "Show/Hide Group", without having to access the option through shortcuts, such as the "Track Manager ".

It would be interesting if this idea were implemented in Cakewalk!

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 3

9 hours ago, sjoens said:

As long as the list pane itself can be collapsed or disappear completely.

Yes, something like the "Inspector" but that you have this option to activate or not this strips pane in options, in the same way when we activate activate the visualization of some elements, such as outputs, icons, narrow and widen strips, etc.

It looks exactly the same as the Track Manager but in the Inspector instead of a pop up menu.

I mean - what's quicker, pressing H or mousing to the top of the Inspector to choose a tab ? I don't think there is much in it.

Personally I think it would use up valauable space on the Inspector tabs at the top, it's already full with ProChannel  - Track Properties - Clip Properties - Tempo & Arranger. I wouldn't want it to replace any of them, I don't think I've ever used it anyway even on session swith 100+ tracks.

If you want a true solution the request should be about giving the user configurable Inspector tabs  so " we " can choose what we use the most..and have a host of options including a track manager for those that want it. Personally I would much rather have an improved Midi inspector with proper humanise features and not rely on CAL.

I'm sure everyone has their one set of preffered tools.  

• Meh 1

12 hours ago, Mark MoreThan-Shaw said:

It looks exactly the same as the Track Manager but in the Inspector instead of a pop up menu.

I mean - what's quicker, pressing H or mousing to the top of the Inspector to choose a tab ? I don't think there is much in it.

Personally I think it would use up valauable space on the Inspector tabs at the top, it's already full with ProChannel  - Track Properties - Clip Properties - Tempo & Arranger. I wouldn't want it to replace any of them, I don't think I've ever used it anyway even on session swith 100+ tracks.

If you want a true solution the request should be about giving the user configurable Inspector tabs  so " we " can choose what we use the most..and have a host of options including a track manager for those that want it. Personally I would much rather have an improved Midi inspector with proper humanise features and not rely on CAL.

I'm sure everyone has their one set of preffered tools.  

I hear you, but my suggestion would not be to link the track manager to the "Inspector", but something that is linked to the "Console View", and that has the option to select the display of this panel in "Options", where once active I don't need to keep pressing any key every time or hovering to display it. In the video I posted above as an example, I didn't need to hover or press any key for the track management panel to appear, it was just there!

As I told sjoens, something like the "Inspector" in the "Console View" and not exactly in the "Inspector".

You can find this feature in Cubase, Nuendo, Harrison Mixbus, Ardour, in other words, it's not a whim but an ease!

Actually I had made this kinda request years ago. You can see on the left of the image below. 

In time Cakewalk developed Track Manager Presets and it did fine actually but we still need to see the Track Manager without opening an extra window to use it effectively. 

1048473886_CakewalkPrototype1.2.thumb.png.16367aadd719f2daeacd49a8200e2ef6.png

Edited by murat k.
  • Like 1

On 7/1/2022 at 1:37 PM, Herbert Miron said:

As I told sjoens, something like the "Inspector" in the "Console View" and not exactly in the "Inspector".

So basically it's an Inspector for the Console View that would include a Track Manager- Why not make that the request, it might have wider use outside of just the Track Manager. 

I make 2 tracks every week , week in , week out... 100+ every year and personally I never use the Track Manager but then there are many other things in Cakewalk I never use too that others migh want.  As a concept a Console Inpector might have wider implications than your orignial feature request though and may have some merit but I don't think there is much in it from a workflow / speed POV.

Edited by Mark MoreThan-Shaw

I would like to be able to show/hide Console strips based on their folder membership, with the idea being that I can easily and quickly hide everything but what elements of the mix I'm currently working on. For instance, hide everything but the drums, hide everything but guitars, etc. And yes, I know that using Track Manager I can show or hide anything I want, but it doesn't recognize folder membership in Console View, so it has to be done on a track-by-track basis.

6 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

I would like to be able to show/hide Console strips based on their folder membership, with the idea being that I can easily and quickly hide everything but what elements of the mix I'm currently working on. For instance, hide everything but the drums, hide everything but guitars, etc. And yes, I know that using Track Manager I can show or hide anything I want, but it doesn't recognize folder membership in Console View, so it has to be done on a track-by-track basis.

I'm not sure what you mean then ?

If I hide a Folder in Track Manager the corresponding console strips are hidden as long the option  to keep the track / console  views in sync is selected ?? 

I.e.  - Only Drums selected in Track Manager 

image.png.84050e39b5a6b9eeb0d6d7048ac5ed0e.png 

Leaves me with only the Drums in the Track View

image.thumb.png.992dc7195035377fc27cb32d98b40f2f.png

And correspondingly in the Console View

image.thumb.png.afe08d275bedf9cc208fa11caad5aed4.png

So it does respect the folder in both views 

Edited by Mark MoreThan-Shaw

The "Track Manager" is excellent, the only problem is that it is not so practical, since with each change we have to press the "H" key all the time to be able to visualize it. It would be much more practical if we had the option to leave its visualization permanently and that as soon as we uncheck the box referring to the track or folder, we wouldn't need to press "Ok" for the action to be carried out, but that it would be something simultaneous.
The way @murat k. presented would be interesting, if you didn't want to compromise the "Inspector", it could be something connected to the "Console" itself, which you could enable or disable the panel view in the "Options" above, already in the "Track View" in the "Inspector" in the tab "Track Properties" would be nice.

691183665_TrackManager.png.71de61aa1d8709ed70c8e5e6de107ce9.png

You already have the option to open the "Track Manager" in the "Strips" menu, just put it to open it in the "Console", see the example I made in the image below, the "Track Manager" on the left inside the "Console"....

66366588_TrackManager2.thumb.png.cb12aeeaf2104a181afa6ca4fc1a7825.png

It would be like the "Arranger Track" view, or "Tempo Track", you have the option to enable or disable the view.

1 hour ago, Mark MoreThan-Shaw said:

All hail the mightly Console Inspector

When I referred to the "Arranger Track" and "Tempo Track" I didn't mean the "Arranger Inspector" or "Tempo Inspector", but the visualizations in the "Track View".

All hail the mighty Track View. 🥴🤪

251324132_Bobo.thumb.png.66892dcde6e010eb4d068b4e323948a7.png

If you didn't see the image with an example I made, check it out again above! 👍

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 7/4/2022 at 11:11 PM, Herbert Zio said:

The "Track Manager" is excellent, the only problem is that it is not so practical, since with each change we have to press the "H" key all the time to be able to visualize it. It would be much more practical if we had the option to leave its visualization permanently and that as soon as we uncheck the box referring to the track or folder, we wouldn't need to press "Ok" for the action to be carried out, but that it would be something simultaneous.
The way @murat k. presented would be interesting, if you didn't want to compromise the "Inspector", it could be something connected to the "Console" itself, which you could enable or disable the panel view in the "Options" above, already in the "Track View" in the "Inspector" in the tab "Track Properties" would be nice.

691183665_TrackManager.png.71de61aa1d8709ed70c8e5e6de107ce9.png

You already have the option to open the "Track Manager" in the "Strips" menu, just put it to open it in the "Console", see the example I made in the image below, the "Track Manager" on the left inside the "Console"....

66366588_TrackManager2.thumb.png.cb12aeeaf2104a181afa6ca4fc1a7825.png

It would be like the "Arranger Track" view, or "Tempo Track", you have the option to enable or disable the view.

@Noel Borthwick Would it be possible for Cakewalk?