Add a track to SD3

If I've already created a Session Drummer 3  folder and initially chosen and used 8 tracks but I've subsequently decided to add some percussion on the pads and want to add more tracks so I can control them individually, how would I do that? Does the entire pad only work on one midi channel? I had one pad assigned (to separate my sidestick from my snare) but I want to add timbales. I've tried duplicating the previous track but it only works if I match the midi channel and then I can't pan separately.

insert a second SD3 synth. then map that with the percussion etc and assigned to separate midi and audio tracks as needed.

i do this when i want both drums and percussion playing at the same time with Additive Drums (AD2) one for the drum track, and one for the percussion. one midi for each and multiple audio to separate out things like kick, snare, hh, oh, and usually one or two for percussion. 

if i don't need them playing together, then i'll just use the one AD2 instance for both - do the drums and record them, then switch over to percussion (separate midi and audio tracks) and record those. as a note, i used to use SD for most of my drums and percussion but mainly use AD2 now.

I don't know anything about SD3, but I seem to recall that a while back somebody mentioned there was a way in Cakewalk to add tracks to an existing VST instance, such as another drum VST like Addictive Drums 2.

You can try using the "Append instrument track" item in the track context menu. Then make the necessary adjustments in your chosen VST.

Append per-output Instrument tracks

https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=NewFeatures.31.html

If you do not initially create the maximum number of available output tracks, you can later add additional tracks on demand from the Synth Rack view. To do so, do one of the following:

• Right-click the instrument in the Synth Rack (Views > Synth Rack View) and select Append Instrument Track.
  • Right-click the instrument track strip in the Track view and select Append Instrument Track.

Edited by abacab

It is possible to add tracks for any synth including Session Drummer 3 at any time.

Additional MIDI track need their output set to the synth.

Additional audio tracks need their input set to the synth.

If you are using instrument tracks, there is a function to append instrument tracks to a synth with multiple outputs. Right-click one of the instrument track headers in the track view to access this option.

3 minutes ago, scook said:

If you are using instrument tracks, there is a function to append instrument tracks to a synth with multiple outputs. Right-click one of the instrument track headers in the track view to access this option.

I see that now, very good. I already used the other workaround and it let me finish my track, but I'll go back in and try this to make sure it functions the way I need it to. Thanks.

2 hours ago, Richard Schweitzer said:

If I've already created a Session Drummer 3  folder and initially chosen and used 8 tracks but I've subsequently decided to add some percussion on the pads and want to add more tracks so I can control them individually, how would I do that? Does the entire pad only work on one midi channel?

Session drummer does not differentiate MIDI input channels, only note numbers; any of the twelve pads will respond to any of the 16 channels. But it does offer 12 separate stereo outputs assignable to the twelve 'channel' strips. I assume when you say you used 8 tracks initially that you had CbB create individual instrument tracks per output for 8 of the 12 outputs.  So you can add 4 more, and assign the instrument 'channels' in SD3's mixer view to the separate outputs using the drop down at the bottom of each channel (this does not happen automatically). Each channel/pad in SD3 can host multiple instrument sounds differentiated by note number but all the instruments on any one channel/pad will share the common audio output assigned to that channel.  You can add a new instrument track by right-clicking in the Synth Rack, and choosing 'Append Instrument Track', but you have to do the SD3 mixer output channel assignment and the Instrument track's audio input assignment manually. This is unique to SD3 because it doesn't automatically assign the strips to independent audio outputs the way a 'normal' multitimbral instrument might.

Technically, you can create 24 mono tracks for the 24 L/R output channels, but there's no way to get two instruments assigned to one channel strip panned left and right independently within SD3 to hit the two sides of the output pair so SD3 is effectively limited to twelve independent stereo outputs.

Edited by David Baay
  • Like 1