SSL Introduce X-Gate

cclarry

$80.09 with code FORUM at JRR

SSL X-Gate is a precision gate processor and a comprehensive mixing tool with an intuitive interface. X-Gate provides advanced control over hysteresis, mid/side processing and sidechain filtering.

X-Gate is another essential mixing and mastering tool added to SSL Complete, available by subscription for only $14.99 per/m (Ts & Cs apply). Or purchase a full perpetual license on the SSL eStore at the introductory price of $89 (usually $129) until 28th July.

https://www.jrrshop.com/ssl-x-gate

X-Gate%20Features.png

Edited by cclarry

6 hours ago, RSMcGuitar said:

I'm sure it's quality, but I struggle to get excited by a gate.

Depends on the gate and how it's used. Unfiltered Audio's G8 via Plugin Alliance for example can be a pretty creative tool and effect and there are some others that can be used a little less like a traditional gate too.

I've been meaning to start learning and trying out some more of those techniques in particular.

As far as regular gates go, I suspect this will be a good one, but I'm also not too excited about it either 🤣

The features are very similar to the free Kilohearts gate. Although this has a mix knob and is frequency selective. Combine the Kilohearts Gate with Khz Multipass and you can do everything and much more (gate flipping is cool). But in the end it's still a gate. I get the same feeling with Fabfilter who charge 149 for their gate (not discounted). It's the reason I haven't upgraded to the Total package. I don't need another gate, de-esser or a couple of filters.

• Haha 1

I think, sometimes gates are very useful for special mix purposes. And there are very clever ones like e.g. Box Digital Gatey Watey, but I have a couple of others that are also not bad (like Unfiltered Audio G8). But their usage with side chain input is often not so trivial, that means obvious (for me by all means 😄).

• Great Idea 1

18 minutes ago, marled said:

I think, sometimes gates are very useful for special mix purposes. And there are very clever ones like e.g. Box Digital Gatey Watey, but I have a couple of others that are also not bad (like Unfiltered Audio G8). But their usage with side chain input is often not so trivial, that means obvious (for me by all means 😄).

Oh yeah I forgot all about the Boz one. Have that too. I should really use it sometimes.

• Like 1