Free is a deal, ya? How usable do you guys think these are?

craigb

The answer is, quite a lot. I'm active in the Pianobook community. And write demos for the instruments put up each month.  But I would suggest being judicious as there are so many to choose from. Some will not be to everybodies taste. Listen to some of the demos to see if they fit for you. Use the latest version of Decent Sampler (DS) currently 1.5.10.

There are also Kontakt (full) and SFZ and EXS instruments as well, Some have gone on to be released by Spitfire Audio as LABS instruments (indicating a degree of quality I would hope).  There is an active community on Discord as well. Plus making your own instruments in DS is easy (I'm told) as programming is simple (unless your ancient like me).

To be honest to not try at least some would be churlish. And you can afford to delete if you don't like.  I have used them extensively in commercial releases. And fit in well with my more expensive purchases.

• Like 1

There is good stuff and there is bad stuff there. You might have to try them out to see if things work for you or not. Most of those instruments have been made by people as they would want them and I found that my way of working differs from some and I can find no use for some instruments (not going to mention any as it is a personal taste thing) and some have gone straight into use. Test them out yourself, you won't loose any money doing it. :)

Its not the size of your sample collection, its how you use it.  😛   Seriously, though, I enjoyed the video.  Thanks for posting the link. I find his videos usually provide a number of interesting tips based on how he does production and sound design even if I am not interested in the specific product he is demoing.  

Edited by User 905133

Well, Venus Theory is a fan, so that says something. He created his own library for Decent Sampler. :)

Pianobook was started by Christian Henson of Spitfire Audio.

Due to the amount of material available, probably have to do a bit of digging to find personal connections...

And don't forget to check out the free Emergence plug-in that VT used in his video. :)

https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/2-Effects/45-Granular-FX/8397-Emergence

"This plugin is a real-time granulator. It continuously records the input signal into a buffer. The content of the buffer is played back as many short pieces of sound called grains. Up to 600 grains can be generated in 4 streams, each having its own set of parameters that control grain generation.

A single grain is not that interesting. The most exciting things happen when hundreds of overlapping grains play together, creating anything from complex delay patterns to strange noises to beautifully layered soundscapes."

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1