Key+ Transposition to multiple tracks???

Sleetah2000

Question

I have a folder of midi tracks for which I would like to select all, and apply the same key+ transposition in bulk.  Unlike most  cakewalk track features that multiply changes by holding down the control key, this just doesn’t seem to work for key+.  Does anyone know of a workaround for this?

I know that I could apply transpositions across the track notes, but my preference is to use the key+ transposition for this application.

I also dabbled with the idea of developing a cal program, but the only working examples I've found, focus on modifying track contents, as opposed to track parameters.   It was a fun exercise, until I realized that I had too many unanswered questions to run the script.

4 answers to this question

Scook,

Thanks for confirming that at least this time, it wasn't user error.  Ultimately, I'm looking for a single location to apply various midi transpositions to a project without affecting the note events.  Sounds as though, that's not possible.

Your suggestion for MFX is a clever workaround.  I played around with it a little bit and it definitely works exactly as advertised.   However, for the times that I would want to apply this in a project, I would still more likely transpose and toggle back and forth using destructive editing. 

With the track knobs/sliders, I just haven't found an application to compel me to embrace MFX rack modules.  If instead, one transpose MFX module could apply over a folder of tracks (similar to buses and audio effects), this would have been more like I was aiming for.  Given my brief foray into the world of CAL Scripts....Easy for me to say, probably stinkin' awful for someone to code.

It is possible to use one Transpose MFX like a bus summing 16 tracks with a virtual MIDI cable. The free LoopBe1 and LoopMIDI support a single cable with 16 channels. LoopBe30 supports up to 30 virtual cables. It may be possible to create multiple virtual cables with LoopMIDI but I have not tried and don't have it installed ATM.

I am not sure the TrackKey+ function still works in CAL but I know manipulating note values does. The language was deprecated around the original release of SONAR and BandLab has no plans to revive it. Even so, there is not much advantage to using CAL in this case. Stopping the transport, selecting the tracks and running a CAL script is the same effort as running Transpose from the menu.

• Great Idea 1

Virtual Midi-Cables?  Wow, this is just a concept that I didn't even know existed.  I'm a little blown away here, and I think I need to carve out some future non-studio time to research whether Virtual Midi Cables would be a worthwhile addition to my toolchest.  Does the extra learning curve, installation, setup additional system load and maintenance lead to worthwhile efficiencies in workflow?  No idea yet, but it's still kinda cool to know that there are high capacity nailguns out there even if i'm just looking to hang an occasional picture.

You continue to be a wealth of info, Scook.