Cakewalk not recognising external sound card

16 hours ago, scook said:

Please provide information about the hardware, OS and images of

and if this is about MIDI data also include images of

Hi, Have enclosed images as you suggested, scook, bdickens, sorry I didn't include thread, new to this...

Read on Youtube about ASIO should be used, so downloaded ASIO4all as was suggested. Thank you

IMG_4999.JPG

IMG_5001.JPG

IMG_5002.JPG

IMG_5003.JPG

IMG_5004.JPG

It looks like you haven't installed the Windows drivers for your interface and you're using ASIO4ALL, which is designed for cheap interfaces that don't have proper drivers, which your one certainly does. You'll get MUCH better performance with the correct drivers.

Close Cakewalk then uninstall ASIO4ALL. Turn off or unplug your interface.

Then you want to go to the Focusrite DOWNLOADS page and get the correct driver for your interface, then install it. Switch your interface back on and let it all detect properly.

Then, start up Cakewalk and go to Preferences, and make sure your Focusrite is ticked in all of the driver boxes.

That should get you up and running with much better performance and make every input available properly.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Chris Barker said:

Read on Youtube about ASIO should be used, so downloaded ASIO4all as was suggested.

A bad idea that should have generated a warning when running CbB.

ASIO4All is not recommended under any circumstances especially when a device has a manufacturer supplied ASIO driver such as Focusrite.

Generic ASIO drivers are known to conflict with real ASIO drivers.

Uninstall ASIO4All and install the Focusrite driver.

CbB could not find a MIDI input device in Windows.

Please provide information about the hardware, OS and model of Focusrite interface.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, bdickens said:

You should also give your thread a title that gives people some clue as to what it might be about. More likely to get results that way.

Just go to your first post and click "Edit". That way you can add a proper topic name to this thread. "Chris" is not very informative for anyone else that may be seeking similar answers.

• Great Idea 1

2 hours ago, Chris Barker said:

Read on Youtube about ASIO should be used, so downloaded ASIO4all as was suggested. Thank you

Whoever suggested that garbage doesn't know what he is talking about.

If you had bothered to take a look at the little booklet that was in the box with your Focusrite when you opened it (aka: Getting Started Guide ) you would have seen that step 2 is download and install the software.

Yes. Sorry if this sounds harsh, but if you had followed the instructions you wouldn't be having this problem

• Like 1

I use a Focusrite interface, and the factory ASIO drivers are excellent! Highly recommend!

Don't install ANY generic 3rd party ASIO emulations if you have the real ones! Even Steinberg has been known to slip some generic ASIO into your system when you install their software. That once caused me a big headache until I figured it out!

• Like 1

On 6/28/2022 at 8:38 AM, bdickens said:

Whoever suggested that garbage doesn't know what he is talking about.

I know exactly the videos that recommend Asio4all and they have millions of views. They are the most highly recommended too.  So it's not the OP's fault for taking advice from a source like that. 

Here's the Videos with correct information,  the first few are the most important. 

3 hours ago, John Vere said:

I know exactly the videos that recommend Asio4all and they have millions of views. They are the most highly recommended too.  So it's not the OP's fault for taking advice from a source like that. 

ASIO4all works fine with an on-board audio chip, such as Realtek. You know, the type that ships in most consumer laptops. I used ASIO4all in my Acer laptop, but not for serious use. For me, it worked just OK for DAW playback using virtual instruments.

Just don't try to use ASIO4all with a professional audio interface!

FYI, Cakewalk did a market study way back during the Sonar Platinum years, and discovered that the majority of users launching Sonar were using on-board audio. What a surprise! :)

The thing is with Realtek chips, WASAPI actually gives you much better performance than ASIO4ALL does, so even then there's no reason to use it in the vast majority of cases in Cakewalk.

This is different for other DAWs who don't have good WASAPI support and kind of require you to use an ASIO driver no matter what if you want good performance, but I can certainly vouch for the work the Bakers did in this area - when I took my laptop on the road a while back, I was actually getting better performance out of WASAPI and the Realtek than I was with my old TASCAM 16x08 with ASIO.

Edited by Lord Tim
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Lord Tim said:

The thing is with Realtek chips, WASAPI actually gives you much better performance than ASIO4ALL does, so even then there's no reason to use it in the vast majority of cases in Cakewalk.

This is different for other DAWs who don't have good WASAPI support and kind of require you to use an ASIO driver no matter what if you want good performance, but I can certainly vouch for the work the Bakers did in this area - when I took my laptop on the road a while back, I was actually getting better performance out of WASAPI and the Realtek than I was with my old TASCAM 16x08 with ASIO.

My Acer laptop died and I'm actually using WASAPI now on my new Dell Win10 laptop. But it's just a toy & mobile office for traveling. :)

My real DAW is a desktop PC running Focusrite ASIO on a Scarlett USB. And if I was ever going to attempt any remote recording with the Dell laptop, I would unplug the Scarlett and take it along!

Edited by abacab

Absolutely! I'm using a 18i20 in the studio now but I'm definitely thinking of grabbing a 2i2 or a Solo for the road. This was a last minute thing where the band I was working with informed me that they need a mix in 10 days... 12 hours before I was off on an 8 day trip (thanks guys!) so it was a mad scramble to do what I could while I was travelling. I was actually blown away by how good the Realtek performed! But given a choice, I'd use a proper interface every time.

• Great Idea 2

2 hours ago, Lord Tim said:

I'm definitely thinking of grabbing a 2i2 or a Solo for the road.

I'm using a 2i2 3rd gen on my main PC. It's been very solid, and I don't need a lot of analog inputs, mostly just a stable platform for in the box VSTi's...

• Like 1