SCORE: A Film Music Documentary

bitflipper

Even if you just have a passing interest in film scores - and who doesn't? - this is a must-view.  Yeh, much of it is obvious observations such as how a violin section made the Psycho murder scene scary, how motifs are used to establish characters, how the score sets the mood.

Most of you will spend the first few minutes wondering when the film's gonna get to the meat. Yeh, we get it. Music's important to storytelling. But the music's really good.

I was amazed at how many scores I knew from films I'd never seen. Never saw Superman or Dark Knight, but I fall asleep many nights listening to their scores.

• Like 3

A wonderful documentary.  I've seen many on film music, but somehow missed this one.  The music of Danny Elfman, Hans Zimmer, John Williams, Thomas Newman, Bernard Herman, perhaps the first genius of film music, and many more.  Inspirational!

If you would like to learn or experience more check out Film Music-A Neglected Art by Roy M. Pendergast, 2nd Ed., published by W. W. Norton & Co. and the CD, Bernard Herman - The Film Scores, Esa Pekkasalonen conducting the Los Angeles Philharmonic, on Sony Classical.

A couple of my favorite film score concerts: Hans Zimmer Live in Prague, and Joe Hisaishi in Budokan. Both epic, but the latter especially so, with a huge orchestra and choir. I got turned on to Hisaishi years ago; my granddaughter's all-time favorite animated film was Princess Mononoke, and we watched it together many times. I was so impressed with the music that I had to read the back of the VHS tape box and see who the composer was. Followed by a trip to the video rental store and then binge on Japanese children's animation.

• 2 weeks later...