Train Of Consequences

Ron_Pko

23 hours ago, STEVE POOLE said:

Dope ..... Really love this ..and great work everyone !!

Thanks!

16 hours ago, bdickens said:

Fantastic! I love it when people put their own stamp on a song instead of trying to duplicate the record.

Thank you man!

Glad you pointed that out. I also don't like to imitate anyone, specially vocals, even though I love the artists we cover very much.

Because there is no point to try to duplicate something. I mean, if one wants to listen to something like the original, just go and listen to the original. 

Edited by Ron_Pko

Your vocal is certainly true to the genre.

On the DT990's here, I'm hearing the bass fine, the kick I hear the beater (or is it the pedal?).
Mixing Metal is not in my wheelhouse, maybe @Bapu will chime in.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that for me, the kick is not well defined (and a necessary part of the genre; right?)

t

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, DeeringAmps said:

On the DT990's here, I'm hearing the bass fine, the kick I hear the beater (or is it the pedal?).
I guess what I'm trying to say is that for me, the kick is not well defined (and a necessary part of the genre; right?)

t

On my Sennheiser HD-600s I too wish the kick had a bit more oomph. Other than that, great performances all around.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

t

Weeeell... 

As for the bass, yes , loud.  I wanted the bass to stand out. 

As for kick... You know I never really think like that ''for this genre it must be like this or that'' But more like what sounds better for which song. 

In this case I like the sound of that kick but in another song I might decide another sound. 

But thank you very much for watching and sharing your opinion with such attention, it's always interesting to hear other people's perspective as long as it is constructive. I respect that.

Edited by Ron_Pko
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Bapu said:

On my Sennheiser HD-600s I too wish the kick had a bit more oomph. Other than that, great performances all around.

Ah, so you are Bapu. I was wondering. You came down as if you were spiritually summoned by DeeringAmps 😄
Thank you too for watching and the feedback Bapu. Much appreciated.

Edited by Ron_Pko
  • Like 1

Hey Ron,

First let me say welcome to the forum (I should have done that already).
My role here, at least as I see it, is to be something of a "cheerleader".
Hand out a few "atta boys" and "listen"; offering when I can, what I hope is constructive crits.
I mentioned "hearing the bass fine" to establish that the 990's were giving me a "decent" low end.
I asked Ed (Bapu) to have a listen

6 hours ago, Ron_Pko said:

spiritually summoned

(that is a good one, and a hearty 👍's there! no sarcasm intended... and by placing the @ sign in front of his name he received a "heads up")
because this is much more in his wheelhouse than mine.
"How is my mix on your system" is a common question here, so "my ears, my cans" the bass is perfect, but the kick is a bit undefined.
Is there some "masking" going on? Do you need to add a "sample" to amp up the kick? Not an uncommon practice; but I don't know.
Its all about "translation", and all I can do is let you know what I'm hearing here, put that into perspective (tired 70 year old, tinnitus addled ears),
and you have to take that info and weigh it against what you are hearing, in the mix and in feedback from others.

So again, welcome to the forum, enjoyed the tune and look forward to more.

t

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

Hey Ron,

First let me say welcome to the forum (I should have done that already).
My role here, at least as I see it, is to be something of a "cheerleader".
Hand out a few "atta boys" and "listen"; offering when I can, what I hope is constructive crits.
I mentioned "hearing the bass fine" to establish that the 990's were giving me a "decent" low end.
I asked Ed (Bapu) to have a listen

(that is a good one, and a hearty 👍's there! no sarcasm intended... and by placing the @ sign in front of his name he received a "heads up")
because this is much more in his wheelhouse than mine.
"How is my mix on your system" is a common question here, so "my ears, my cans" the bass is perfect, but the kick is a bit undefined.
Is there some "masking" going on? Do you need to add a "sample" to amp up the kick? Not an uncommon practice; but I don't know.
Its all about "translation", and all I can do is let you know what I'm hearing here, put that into perspective (tired 70 year old, tinnitus addled ears),
and you have to take that info and weigh it against what you are hearing, in the mix and in feedback from others.

So again, welcome to the forum, enjoyed the tune and look forward to more.

t

DeeringAmps thank you so much for your kind and warm words and attention to my mix. 

The kick is already a sample that I liked for this song at least. And you know what, I find the kick indeed to be the trickiest to make stand out as I want.

It's easy for the kick to get buried under the heavy bass and guitars. However, I can hear the kick in my mix quite well, but as I understand you mean you can hear more the beater of the kick than the lower frequencies of the kick. Perhaps that's the case. Or maybe a little more compression, a quicker attack would be better you mean? 

I'm not altering it though, because I already uploaded it on youtube, and I actually like the way it is. But I sincerely appreciate your input, and specially your positivity about the bass, from both of you who are experienced people! 

I've been mixing my own covers for about a year now I think, and I watch a lot of videos of Warren Huart's ''Produce Like A Pro''. 

And Warren many times talks about how important it is to have a good low end. So I always have that in mind. Seems like I'm going in the right direction then, I hope. 

I don't know if this is the best low end in the world, but I'm glad you say it's decent at least haha Cause I DO think low end is very important. 

In Cakewalk, I duplicated the Bass and then gave a low pass to one copy and a high pass to the other, thus controlling the volume of low and high independently.

And I used a lot of compression on the copy with the lower frequencies, to keep the low end very even to avoid drops or peaks of volume. That was my approach with the bass.  And on the pass that has the higher frequencies  I added a bit of distortion. I wanted the bass to be very heavy in this song.

The master also has a veeeery soft limiter, but not too much, because I like the song to have some dynamic.   

Edited by Ron_Pko
  • Like 1

On 7/3/2022 at 11:06 PM, jwnicholson78 said:

I don't listen to a lot of metal, and I'm not familiar with the original, but that was really well done. I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Jeff

Thanks Jeff! 

The original is below. It was released in 1994, I love the guitar riff on this song. 

Edited by Ron_Pko

6 hours ago, Johnbee58 said:

Amazing, the sounds that Metalheads can get out of their guitars!!🤪

Sounds pretty good on my cheapo ear buds too. 😉

😀John B

Thanks John!

5 hours ago, antler said:

Not familiar with the original, but this sounds great to me! The vocals match the song, and there's some really good guitar work in there - well done!

Thank you antler! 

Hi - thought the vocals and guitars were really good - think you got this just right

Cool track and really enjoyed the listen

And as tom said, welcome to the forum - shall look forward to more tracks from you in the future

Cool

Nigel

• Like 1

On 7/8/2022 at 6:12 PM, Bajan Blue said:

Hi - thought the vocals and guitars were really good - think you got this just right

Cool track and really enjoyed the listen

And as tom said, welcome to the forum - shall look forward to more tracks from you in the future

Cool

Nigel

Thank you Nigel and everybody! 🙂